This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Cross Purposes

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

205 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Game: Cross Purposes

Ah, Curst. City of backstabbers, traitors, and exiles. A city that few decent cutters would ever find much reason to visit, barring only the fact that Curst Heartwine comes from this wretched hole of a town. Curst's other exports include desperate berks (usually the unhappy offspring of exiles) willing to sign on to the Blood War, and information.

Speaking of the Blood War, it has been the subject of even more gossip than usual lately, and not only in Curst. In Sigil it is common news that the gehreleths have doubled their numbers, a classical sign that the intensity of the War has increased drastically. Many exemplars would yawn at this, having seen everything in their incredibly long lifespans, but few mortals have seen this sort of thing in recent memory.

This particular day in Curst is unusual. Despite the fact that the city is a pus-filled blister on the surface of the Multiverse, caravans do normally come in and go out. The demand for heartwine elsewhere on the planes is strong. Today only a single visitor has come through the gates. A man on nightmare, not horse. A man who was quickly escorted to the estate of Torvus Giljaf, the githzerai who passes for the leader of the city. No caravans have entered, and since the mounted man came through, no caravans have left either.

Nim:

Rakor, the human master of the heartwine caravan she had signed on with, is a middle-aged human man of thinning hair who has a paunch, but also has more muscle than many would-be caravan raiders realize. "Take the rest of the day off, lass, we're stuck in here till three hours before peak tomorrow at the earliest, maybe later." He explains: "Happens all the time, this gate-town's notorious for it. Means the guards want a bigger garnish, usually. Or one of the high-ups is feeling real peery, even peerier than usual." It's unusual that Nim would get so much time off while working with this outfit: Rakor has a reputation as a 'tough but fair' sort, a hard taskmaster.

"I expect you back at first light, sober. Drunkards will be left behind. Don't get in any trouble neither, it's not my problem if you get yourself thrown into razorvine or hipped through the portal." Nim has long since contemplated using him as a subject of imitation: games involving 'Corrupt, Jink-Grubbing, Gluttonous Caravan Master' for example.

Of course, Nim manages to get into trouble. The Thorny Paths Inn is not the worst place for a traveler to visit, and in fact it is relatively quiet for much of the day. The rider who went through the gates earlier is a topic of interest, as is the fact that no caravans have left the city today. Nim is seated fairly near a person she had initially mistaken for a human: a tall, pale, black-haired female tiefling with a visible brand on her left hand. The newcomer had not drawn extraordinary attention upon first entering the place, but once she had casually removed her gloves, the tiefer had instantly been granted a seat at the bar. A tough-looking adventurer or mercenary had given up his seat, actually. One thing that particularly captures Nim's interest is the fact that this particular tiefling has possibly the most aristocratic demeanor that Nim has ever seen on a tiefling, reminding the changeling of some sorts she recalls from The Lady's Ward. Most plane-touched grow up in poverty, and while many tiefers are con artists, it would be rare for a tiefling to manage such casual arrogance without faking it.

The rest of Nim's day is mostly uneventful... for Curst... until very late, after antipeak. Nim had rented a room in the Thorny Paths and was fast asleep when she was very suddenly awakened by the sound of what must be a mailed fist pounding on her door. "Open up, in the name of Torvus Giljaf! You are under arrest, on suspicion of smuggling."

Nim is able to hear that, outside her own room, something is wrong. To her ears, it sounds like others are being arrested as well. So many at once? Then she hears the sound of what must be spellcasting, followed by a great deal of screaming.

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Icanthas and Lyei’Ethla’Vaar:

The Quartered Man is a rough bar. Icanthas already has a bit of a reputation, and as such she only has to threaten a single overeager male patron with castration. After that, no one tries to start trouble, though a few of the men (and male beings) in the place are bold enough to offer to buy her drinks, even after that incident.

None of the other patrons, most of whom are real scum even by the standards of Curst, attempt to push around Lyei'Ethla'Vaar, probably because no one is really eager to pick a fight with a githyanki. Though Torvus has never enacted any laws barring githyanki from the city, the bearded son of Gith does overhear open speculation about the wisdom of a 'yanki coming to a town with a githzerai as its mayor.

Tonight the Quartered Man has an unusual guest, one who must be either slumming or remembering old times. Icanthas instantly recognizes the tiefling bard Maltheniir, and even Lyei has heard of him by reputation. The bar is treated to a concert of totally undeserved quality (though Icanthas hears the bard mutter about the poor acoustics of the place more than once). Given the Quartered Man's usual clientele, though, the theme of the bard's singing is quite a gore-fest dealing almost entirely with many of the most famous battles and personalities of the Blood War. The quality of the entertainment manages to keep the usual commonplace brawling in this bar to a minimum, at least for one night.

Something odd happens during the concert, though. There is a shimmering at the door that leads toward the kitchen, and a figure steps out. That itself is not unusual in a planar bar.

"Ain't no portal there," the barkeep mutters, obviously surprised.

The figure is big, between six and six and a half feet tall, and powerfully built. It's hard to tell what race it is under the somewhat over-the-top black, spiked armor. The helm is a real piece of craftsmanship, forged in the shape of a snarling, definitely inhuman face: maybe a mix of orc and gnoll? It's likely intended to intimidate one's foes, and in that it would probably be quite effective. As the being removes its helm, though, the figure turns out to be a human male of very pale complexion, blond-haired and blue-eyed. Icanthas figures that the human might be considered handsome, if the diagonal scar across his face were not quite so ugly. The armored man is also armed: a greatsword across the man's back, and a morningstar at his belt, in addition to a few daggers. Lyei is surprised to notice, by the design of the hilt and scabbard, that the sword was forged by githyanki hands, though it is not of the quality that the People reserve for their own use. Though the Leiran has been away from the People for a long time, he believes the sword to be one that a githyanki might award to a barbarian ally of unusual worthiness. Lyei also notices that the man has what a githyanki would call a head-bag (though this one is of barbarian make), and that it is full.

The reaction of the patrons is remarkable, though. Almost the entire bar does a visible double take, much to the displeasure of the bard, who clearly would prefer to be the center of attention.

Someone in the crowd calls out. "Grisev!"

Another: "I thought you was in the Lady's Mazes!"

The armored man speaks. "I was."

Even the tiefling bard stops playing. Maltheniir looks thoughtful for a moment... then smirks. He begins to play something very different from his earlier sets, something off-beat, off-tune, dissonant. There is still something musical about it, but the sound of it is remarkably unsettling to the ears. Icanthas cannot place it, but she feels certain that she has heard, if not that music, at least something very similar to it before. On a Blood War battlefield.

The bard is cut short by a curt "Bar that, songbird," from the big human. The bar is silent for a few moments, until the bard begins playing a new tune, returning to his usual music. Many of the patrons crowd around this Grisev, and it is not long at all before the armored man is escorted to the Quartered Man's notorious back room.

The partying goes on very late into the night, well after antipeak, and both Icanthas and Lyei are considering sleep when an extraordinarily huge number of Curst's city guards appear at the doors.

"ALL of you scum, drop your weapons and show me your hands! Every last one of you is under arrest for Blood War cross-tradin'!"

This definitely seems odd to both the tiefling Blood Warrior and the githyanki priest. Torvus isn't known for making laws that ban involvement or interest in the Blood War. In fact, 'Blood War cross-trading' is a major source of visitors and income for the city.

A couple of the other bar patrons laugh incredulously.

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash:

Virash had heard a paladin describe his newest employer, a human mage named Mordegan of the Lumeniferous Aether, as 'A man who usually takes the middle ground in matters of good and evil, but leaning a little toward the good.' In less flowery terms, the cutter's no hero, but he's a decent enough sort.

"I've heard good things about you, Virash. I have a mission in mind for you, but first I want to see how well you can handle yourself in unfamiliar territory. So, I want to send you on a smaller job, first. Go pick up an old dagger at the market, it's a portal key." He gives Virash directions to a particularly run-down building in the Hive, and Virash knows the Hive Ward more than well enough to know exactly which building he means. "Virash, I'm looking for an amulet called the Star of Abrekhond. It greatly increases the power of divinatory magic, as well as a few other things... I'm almost certain that the amulet is either at your destination, or that you'll be able to find someone who can give you the chant as to its location." He promises a large reward, in addition to agreeing to help with a charitable project in the Hive that Virash is involved with.

The man doesn't seem very willing to let on what the destination of that portal is, though he swears it isn't anywhere like the Plane of Elemental Fire, or anywhere else instantly lethal to those without magical protections. Mordegan has a reputation for being 'eccentric,' too. If he were less wealthy some people would probably just call him 'a bit barmy' instead.

Eventually, feeling more than a little nervous about what amounts to blind portal-jumping, Virash goes through the portal. Looking around, the ranger is able to figure out where he is in a matter of minutes: the city of Curst. Definitely not a good vacation destination, but he could have ended up somewhere even worse. The hour is fairly late, almost dark. The portal Virash had taken had landed him within the first circle of Curst, uncomfortably close to the portal of Carceri. Managing to dodge patches of razorvine (for the most part), he begins to pass through the second circle of the city, where the high-ups of the city live. The ranger has to pass through this area to reach the city's taverns, where he reasons chant will be plentiful.

While he tries not to draw attention to himself, Virash overhears part of a conversation while he walks by a stone building.

"He'll pay for this." A female voice. The woman's back is turned to the ranger.

"Aye, it's madness. They'll betray him. Can't expect anything else, from somethin' like that." A man.

The woman turns, noticing Virash. The ranger has heard a few basic things about Curst, and one of them is the identity of the woman who is now eyeing him with such a calculating expression. Silvana, Priestess of Ares, is an astonishingly beautiful woman, but Virash can sense her chilly majesty even from some distance away. She is possibly the very last person in all of Curst that the Defier would ever want to encounter.

"GUARDS! Arrest that man!"

The city guard is generally close to hand in this section of town, and several of them surround the ranger in a remarkably short time. "What do we charge him with, milady?"

Silvana looks at Virash again. "Vagrancy."

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Josidiah:

As a gold elf of some refinement, Josidiah is not at all pleased to find himself waiting to meet someone in the Curst city dump. The stench is unbelievable. In fact he's fairly sure that even the worst parts of Sigil smell better than this. He has had to step carefully to keep from getting anything disgusting on his footwear. Still, he is determined to find the lore he needs, and if that means meeting an aged tiefling chant-broker in a filthy dump, he'll do it. The cutter, one Dorlian the Ragged, is extremely knowledgeable, despite his eccentricity, and able to put a cutter in touch with anybody.

The hour is very late: A few hours after antipeak. Finally the tiefer arrives, moving with remarkable stealth for someone of his advanced age. Once he sees the color of Josidiah's coin, he begins to convey terrible knowledge into the gold elf's brain. The meeting is only halfway over when both the elf and the tiefer hear loud, armored footsteps.

"Mibix!" the tiefer hisses. He reaches for something in his pocket, mutters what sound like arcane syllables, and literally disappears.

Josidiah finds himself facing a trio of the local thugs who pass for the Curst city guard. "That was Dorlian the Ragged! He's wanted for subversive activity against the city."

"Let's take him in, too!"

Despite his protestations, the gold elf is dragged off...

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Nim, Icanthas, Lyei, Virash, Josidiah, and Sphinx all find themselves within the same cell block -- though not necessarily the same cell.

No one is particularly impressed by either the professionalism of the guards or the quality of the accomodations. Despite sitting on the gateway to the great prison of the Outer Planes, Curst isn't really known for incarcerating people, at least not for very long periods of time. Generally someone who sufficiently annoys Torvus or someone else powerful either gets tossed into large patches of razorvine -- repeatedly, if necessary -- or thrown through the portal to Carceri. The building they were taken to looks more like a building where slaves might have been kept before sale, and indeed it was a building in the warehouse district into which they were taken.

Though the guards did not place the men and women (males and females?) into separate buildings, they did place them into separate cells. The cell nearest the door, to the left, contains Icanthas, as well as the black-haired, branded tiefling that Nim had seen earlier. Both the similarities and differences between the two women are noteworthy. They are nearly the same height, though the branded one would be perhaps an inch taller, if she were standing. Both are quite attractive. Well, the black-haired one would be if she had not so obviously been beaten by the guards so recently: she is already developing several bruises. Icanthas is very athletic, while the other is slim, but lacking the other tiefling's muscle tone. Icanthas notices that the other tiefer smells faintly not only of brimstone, much like herself, but also of ash. The scent reminds the Blood Warrior of the smell of the plane that is her home.

Not only is the black-haired tiefer manacled, like everyone else in this cell block, she also has a gag tied over her mouth, and even her fingers have been tied together. Good odds this one's a spellcaster.

The second cell, opposite the first, holds what appears to be a dead human woman. Alarming, that. Even in death, there is something remarkably intimidating about that face. Its companion looks very much alive. Another human woman, this one with olivine skin and a fierce expression. Despite being forced to share a cell with a corpse, this woman has a great deal of spirit in her.

The third cell holds Virash, along with a tiefling that everyone in the cellblock recognizes as Maltheniir, notorious tiefling bard. The tiefer's expression alternates between cynical amusement and genuine worry.

Lyei and Josidiah find themselves in the fourth cell.

A fifth cell holds a human man with what appears to be some kind of spinal deformity. This man has been here the longest. However, he has a new guest: A short, thin, nondescript human man, with nondescript brown hair. Even without resorting to his powers of telepathy, he's getting an incredibly bad feeling from this berk. Like the nondescript cutter is a predator waiting to strike. It's quite disturbing.

Until quite recently, a pair of guards watched this cell, and Sphinx is fairly sure that someone scries on this place from time to time to keep an eye on things. He's certain that one of the guards has some psionic ability of his own, not least because Sphinx has been remarkably unable to convince that berk to let him go.

The guards had been quite strict about their "No wigwaggin'!" policy, which made passing the time in these cells very boring. Something seems to be going on, though. Another guard had come in, spoken to the others briefly, and all of them had left the cellblock, in haste.

The cats are away, and the mice are all sharing this little cell block, together...

[Cells 1 and 2 are closest to the door. Cell 1 contains Icanthas and an NPC. Cell 2 contains Nim and an NPC. Cell 3: Virash and an NPC. Cell 4: Lyei and Josidiah. Cell 5: Sphinx plus an NPC. Cell 6 is currently empty.]

[Everyone is manacled, but only the black-haired tiefer is unable to speak at the moment. Now that the guards aren't here, the cells are close enough that those here can talk to each other.]

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Making sure to the best of his ability that no guards would be in earshot, the exceedingly thin-looking human in his late twenties first leans a bit closer to his unsettling new cellmate. He then props himself over from his corner, using both hands, and shifts his body closer. The silence is gently broken by the rustle of cheap leather clothing and metallic manacles moving over the hard ground. His height makes him the very definition of “lanky,” and his movements are somewhat clumsy and tentative. Every hint of body language he conveys is non-threatening, friendly, even submissive. When at a distance of about three arms lengths, he stops shifting and attempts to make eye contact. His angular jaw is overly animated for the raspy whisper which ensues from his mouth:

“What’re ye in fer roundah?”

The tone is a mixture of curiosity and sorrow, as if Sphinx held some kind of empathy for the fellow adjacent to him. He is sure to make eye contact, but is equally sure not to pin the other man with his gaze, moving his dull brown orbs about, or to the ground at appropriate moments in these initial moments of dialogue.

__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Burning Spear's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-12-02
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Lyei (pronounced sound wise as liai (as per liaison), looks about his cell to see his companion in problems, an elf, of all the races he could be stuck with...

Making a sound of sighing, he breathes softly in and out as if to stay calm within this tight situation.

"I guess I am stuck with you then for now, o well, these imbeciles have done us over for nothing, this is a ruse, and I am fairly comfortable that it will get sorted as soon as possible..." he says non to loudly, to not make it to obvious to any guards or anything like that..

Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

The corpse opens an eye and glances around, looking vaguely annoyed and distressed. Still looking like a corpse, she calls out: "I'm a sodding corpse! A dead body! Aren't you supposed to do something with dead bodies?!"

She sighs and stands up.

"Damn and blast. These bashers are too sodding peery for their own good.

She glances at her cellmate with an earnest look in her eye. "I'm dead, right? You're supposed to get rid of dead things because of diseases and insect infestations and other things, right? Don't want to risk the other prisoners, right? I mean, death by disease is not justice in my book!"

She calls out again. "This is the worst sodding jail I've ever been in!

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash groans in annoyance. "Sodding city..." he mumbles, more to himself than anyone else. He had hardly managed to be here an hour before getting scragged on some trumped up charge. Not that he could expect any better of Curst, of course, but the flagrant abuse of power still rubbed him the wrong way on an ideological as well as a personal level. His cell companion's cynical amusement fit his mood well, at least, though he was less than inclined to talk to his fellows just yet. Better to scan the situation and get a feel for his fellows before revealing too much.

At the corpse's outburst, though. the ranger couldn't help but laugh aloud. "A nice try, m'lady," he says with a smirk. "Truly, I would have removed you days ago."

Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

(Are our hands manacled in front of us, or behind? Are feet bound too?)

Icanthas had spent a good while straining ineffectually at her manacles, upon her arrival to the cell. It appeared early on that they wouldn't budge but, always the stubborn one, she'd kept at it for near an hour before quitting. Or taking a break, rather. She spent the rest of the time lounging against the side wall of her cell, as comfortably as her bindings and the shoddy accommodations would allow, alternating between glaring at the guards and studying her surroundings --the interior of her cell, her newfound roommate, the hallway, the cell across the way and its inhabitants (hardly surprised to find a corpse within), and peering as well as she could into others down the line-- seeking any weakness that could be exploited.
When the guards leave the block, she makes a few more passes at her manacles while considering her options. Distracted from her contemplations by shouting from the cell across the hall, she turns to the source of the commotion, shocked to find its "dead" inhabitant up and yelling at the closed door. She can't help a twitch, as she reflexively begins to reach for her absent sword before stopping herself. An undead? She eyed the "corpse" for a moment, considering how this one might be of use now that she was no longer mere scenery.
In the end, she turned back to her cellmate. Considering the additional measures taken against this one, it seemed obvious the dark-haired woman was capable of things their captors wanted to keep in check. It stood to reason that the best chance of escape lay with her.
Icanthas scooted closer to her companion, until she could reach the woman. She stretches out her foot and nudges her. "Hey," she says sharply, ensuring she has the other's attention. "I'll bet that extra junk they put on you means you're a spellslinger. Am I right?" Remembering the gag, she quickly adds, "nod if yes."

If the woman responds with a 'no', ignore the following. If she nods 'yes', then Icanthas will ask, "Could you go anything to get us outta' here, if I can get your mouth and fingers freed up?"

Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Nim turns towards Virash and glances him over.

"I know, right? I wasn't expecting much from these pikers though. Under orders to keep everybody in their cells, dead or alive, I bet. That's the order I'd give."

She sighs again and starts testing her weight against the manacles and chains.

"First sodding trip to Curst and I end up in jail for smuggling. Hells, if I'm going to wind up in a jail, I'd rather actually have done what I was accused of."

She holds the manacles up close to her eyes and focuses all of her attention towards them.

"Hmm...I wonder...

She starts twisting her right hand against it.

(OOC: Nim's going to try making her hand more slender in the hopes that she can slip out of the binding.)

Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

While waiting for his cellmate's response, he would attempt to access the unknown recesses of the strange, unsettling fellow's mind. He would look down and concentrate, attempting to mask any signs of his intrusive intent by continued play of this meek persona.

A manifestation of his intellect reaches out from within and heads towards the other human, attempting to see what Sphinx's eyes can not.

__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Karsus wrote:
(Are our hands manacled in front of us, or behind? Are feet bound too?)

[At the moment, the prisoners' hands are manacled behind their backs, not in front of them. Their feet are free, however.]

Cadence wrote:
“What’re ye in fer roundah?”

"Shiving a berk. It's pure screed though. I'm not too worried, I'll be out of this hole soon enough." The nondescript fellow sounds unwontedly confident on this point. He eyes Sphinx, looking unimpressed, but also apparently uninterested in preying on him. For now. "You lot, on the other hand..." The man grins unpleasantly. His gaze turns toward the door leading out of the chamber. The nondescript man has the demeanor of a man waiting for something.

Wicke wrote:
"I'm a sodding corpse! A dead body! Aren't you supposed to do something with dead bodies?!"

The plane-touched bard looks fully as startled as the others... then starts to laugh at Nim's performance. "That was sodding beautiful, lass. To answer your question, I'm not sure. I wouldn't put it past that piker Torvus to put a deader in with prisoners, but it could be his men thought you were out cold, not dead. When they have a deader, they usually either burn it -- makes good fertilizer -- or dump it through the portal for the 'leths to chew on."

"The odd part," Maltheniir gestures expansively around the cell block, "is them taking prisoners at all. Ask yourself: One rider comes into town. After that, no one comes in, nothing goes out. What do you reckon is going on outside Curst while we wigwag?" The tiefer shakes his head regretfully. "I ought to have skipped town the moment I heard about it."

"Torvus has gone barmy at last," the bard goes on. "That, or someone or something has enspelled the berk. Or maybe he's done with whatever plan he's been up to for the past several years, and has sold us out. It's Curst, after all. One last grand stag-turning to top all the others."

Wicke wrote:
She glances at her cellmate with an earnest look in her eye. "I'm dead, right? You're supposed to get rid of dead things because of diseases and insect infestations and other things, right? Don't want to risk the other prisoners, right? I mean, death by disease is not justice in my book!"

The olivine-skinned woman is very shocked, and seems to reach for something at her throat before realizing it isn't there. She calms to some extent, though, when the 'dead' changeling acts at least a bit... normal. After all, Nim is neither shambling toward her nor demanding to drink her blood. "Are you dead? Or undead? If that was an act, you had me completely peeled. And I am a healer. What are you? And how are you called?"

Karsus wrote:
Icanthas scooted closer to her companion, until she could reach the woman. She stretches out her foot and nudges her. "Hey," she says sharply, ensuring she has the other's attention. "I'll bet that extra junk they put on you means you're a spellslinger. Am I right?" Remembering the gag, she quickly adds, "nod if yes."

The black-haired tiefer nods.

Karsus wrote:
If the woman responds with a 'no', ignore the following. If she nods 'yes', then Icanthas will ask, "Could you go anything to get us outta' here, if I can get your mouth and fingers freed up?"

Another nod. The presumed spellslinger motions with her head, calling the Blood Warrior's attention to the woman's... feet. She makes a gesture with one foot, much less precisely than if the woman actually had her hands free (and definitely with far less precision than would be required for spells). It is one that Icanthas has seen many times. Those beings (including mortals barmy enough to do so) who involve themselves in the Blood War, like many other military forces, often use hand gestures with specific meanings, for situations when speaking aloud isn't practical. Some gestures are nearly universal, while others vary wildly between armies or companies. Icanthas easily recognizes this one, however, for she has seen it used more than enough times by the Infernal Front, though other organizations use this one as well.

Its meaning: Proceed with haste.

Cadence wrote:
A manifestation of his intellect reaches out from within and heads towards the other human, attempting to see what Sphinx's eyes can not.

[Sound of the DM rolling something behind the DM screen...]

Spoiler for Sphinx only:

Spoiler: Highlight to view
Upon peering into the nondescript man's mind, Sphinx's immediate impression is 'barmy killer.' This guy just really, REALLY likes to kill. Oddly, he's actually innocent of the particular shiving that he got scragged for. A few of the nondescript man's thoughts concern the other prisoners. He knows that the seemingly mostly-harmless bard, for example, has some skill at assassination, and is particularly noted as a poisoner. He's heard that the bard has prayed to 'the god' before, though it's not immediately clear in Nondescript Man's thoughts which god that is, and he would hardly call the bard devout. His thoughts on the black-haired tiefer: 'Completely barmy, to scrag that one. What were they thinking?!' The olivine-skinned woman: 'A priestess. Might be fun to put in the dead-book.'

Nondescript Man is also delighted at the arrival of someone named Grisev in Curst, apparently escaped from the Lady's Mazes. Grisev... that name sounds vaguely familiar to Sphinx. The psion seems to recall the name of a real nasty blood who scribed a huge number of folks into the dead-book around the time of the Tempest of Doors, when the factions got thrown out of the Cage, and got himself Mazed for it. The psion feels that he should remember more about this berk, but that's all that Sphinx recalls at the moment.

Wicke wrote:
(OOC: Nim's going to try making her hand more slender in the hopes that she can slip out of the binding.)

Nim has heard of manacles that adjust in size to make very, very sure that a prisoner remains bound. These are definitely NOT that kind. The changeling reasons that if she makes her wrists and hands very slender, she could probably slip the manacles right off. At least some of the other prisoners will undoubtedly notice if she does that, though.

[Also, Listen check for everyone, please.]

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

He turned his head sidelong and forlornly glanced at the other cells, though not stopping his gaze upon anyone in particular. He had full intention of turning his focus towards the others in the cell block, but maintained his mind-scry upon the barmy.

The whisper that emerged from his mouth was equal parts incredulity and awe: O-out o' this hole soon enough? Y-ye got somefin planned?

Sphinx had done this many times before: He wasn't at all expecting a straightforward response. He was; however, counting on his questioning to bring pertinent thoughts to the surface. For the time being, he maintained the mental infiltrate on his cellmate.

__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Quote:
The plane-touched bard looks fully as startled as the others... then starts to laugh at Nim's performance. "That was sodding beautiful, lass. To answer your question, I'm not sure. I wouldn't put it past that piker Torvus to put a deader in with prisoners, but it could be his men thought you were out cold, not dead. When they have a deader, they usually either burn it -- makes good fertilizer -- or dump it through the portal for the 'leths to chew on."

"It was worth a shot anyway. Can't do much if I'm bound up like this. Well, much in the way of escaping at least. There are other activities for which being tied up is a wonderful thing, I'm sure. But now is neither the time, nor the place."

Quote:
The olivine-skinned woman is very shocked, and seems to reach for something at her throat before realizing it isn't there. She calms to some extent, though, when the 'dead' changeling acts at least a bit... normal. After all, Nim is neither shambling toward her nor demanding to drink her blood. "Are you dead? Or undead? If that was an act, you had me completely peeled. And I am a healer. What are you? And how are you called?"

Nim seems to notice her own appearance and appears startled for a moment. Then she looks somewhat pleased and smug.

"No, I am neither dead nor undead. And rest assured that I am, in fact, quite human and in no need of healing. The name is Tikal, and I am a sorceress of no small renown on my homeworld of Destran. Specifically, I'm a journeywoman student at the Turin es'Ohln University."

(Obviously, the above happens before she starts concentrating on the manacles)

Rather like a leery animal pausing from drinking out of a pond, Nim pauses for a moment from concentrating on the manacles, pointedly raises her head up and takes stock of her environment.

Listen Check:
I rolled 1d20, the result is 19 = 19.
Bladedancer's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2008-05-21
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Josidiah thoroughly angry about his situation mutters to himself "A noble should never be treated this way" After a few hours of struggling with his bonds or least trying to loosen them to cast a spell if the opportunity presents himself he gives his face flushed with anger and frustration and once again laments on his treatment.

Upon hearing the yanki speak He says "I should hope so these fools have no idea who they are trifling with. I swear when I found out who is responsible for this injustice I will sink Twilight hilt deep into their skull!"l

After mentioning his family's ancestral blade Josidiah for the first time starts to panic a little. He starts thrashing around trying once again to breaks his bonds but only succeeds in tiring himself out and rubbing his wrists raw.

OOC awesome a nat 20! of course that just means my first combat related roll will be a nat 1

listen check
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 20, 2 = 22.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Zimrazim wrote:
Another nod. The presumed spellslinger motions with her head, calling the Blood Warrior's attention to the woman's... feet. She makes a gesture with one foot, much less precisely than if the woman actually had her hands free (and definitely with far less precision than would be required for spells). It is one that Icanthas has seen many times. Those beings (including mortals barmy enough to do so) who involve themselves in the Blood War, like many other military forces, often use hand gestures with specific meanings, for situations when speaking aloud isn't practical. Some gestures are nearly universal, while others vary wildly between armies or companies. Icanthas easily recognizes this one, however, for she has seen it used more than enough times by the Infernal Front, though other organizations use this one as well.

Its meaning: Proceed with haste.


At the sight of the woman's second nod, Icanthas gave a small nod of her own and said, "Alright. Turn around and let me see what I've got to work with." With that, she folded her legs beneath herself and leaned forward, tipping her weight onto her knees, and waited for the other woman to wriggle into position. Once she had done so, Icanthas leaned in for a closer look at her companion's hands, surprised to find their captors had only bound it with a stout cord. "Bleeding cully," she said, half to herself, with a grin. "This may be easier than I'd expected..."
She then shuffled forward, until a scant few inches separated them, and plopped down on her bottom, twisting as she does to put her back to her companion's. She wrapped her fingers around the other woman's, anchoring their position, and twisted her right elbow inward, pressing the entirety of the bent arm in line with her now arched back, allowing her a better view of the cords over her shoulder. She began poking and prodding with her fingertips, seeking loose spots, gaps that she might attempt to pry out of place, knots to begin unraveling... anything she can find.
As she works, she idly listens to what snippets she can catch of nearby conversations, unable to contain a smirk at the former corpse's remark concerning the merits of being shackled to a wall, and finding some relief in the claim, at least, that that woman wasn't undead. Unsavory beings, they. Icanthas didn't know yet whether her escape attempt would be made with the other prisoners in tow, but it would be much more pleasant without any undead hanging about.

[Escape Artist. ...it would be Escape Artist, right? Since Use Rope is more for tying knots than unraveling them...?]
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 17, 5 = 22.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

[Icanthas' Listen check]

I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

[Nice roll. Well, on the Escape Artist check, anyway. Is Icanthas trying to remove the gag as well, or just the finger bindings?]

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash listens carefully to his cellmates' speculations. The thoughts, loose as they were, could be important later. He snickers at Nim's second comment, murmuring "I think I like this one." more to himself than anything, though it would probably be audible. "Helps that she's living," he adds, almost an afterthought. The ranger can't help but shoot a glare Josidiah's way at his nobility comment - far too many entitled berks around, but he drops the face quickly. May need the help of anyone in here later.

... Then again, even WITH that thought, he's a bit peery of releasing the caster. Sure, he had been wrongfully imprisoned, and likely so had the rest of the people here - but you could never be too sure, especially with magic, and especially in a place like Curst. He could only hope the woman wouldn't turn on her fellow prisoners once she was freed.

Turning to Maltheniir, he asks, in a friendly enough manner, "Anything else you know? Our captors don't seem the most... professional cutters, though then again, this is Curst. Anyway, any other information you could share would be greatly appreciated."

Charisma check, if needed.
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 7, 3 = 10.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Zimrazim wrote:
[Nice roll. Well, on the Escape Artist check, anyway. Is Icanthas trying to remove the gag as well, or just the finger bindings?]
[Heh, yeah. We'll just say she's concentrating real hard on those ropes. Eye-wink

No, she hasn't gotten to the gag yet. Kinda hard to reach from a sitting position Sticking out tongue Plus, she figures if the guards wander back in too soon, it'd be hard to hide what they're up to with the gag off.]

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

((THPPPT. Forgot.))

Listen Roll
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 6, 11 = 17.
Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Cadence wrote:
The whisper that emerged from his mouth was equal parts incredulity and awe: O-out o' this hole soon enough? Y-ye got somefin planned?

Sphinx had done this many times before: He wasn't at all expecting a straightforward response. He was; however, counting on his questioning to bring pertinent thoughts to the surface. For the time being, he maintained the mental infiltrate on his cellmate.

"Not me, no. How about you, cutter? What are you in for?"

[Spoiler for Sphinx only]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
Nondescript Man is fairly sure that his 'brothers' will get him out of this fix, if nothing else gets him free before that point. Even if they manage to let him down, he thinks he might be able to cut himself loose eventually. He also believes that this Grisev's presence in Curst is a sign: an omen of great butchery to come. He's really looking forward to that. The nondescript man's mind is full of images of himself shiving what Sphinx guesses to be various inhabitants of Curst that the man knows. (Sphinx additionally gathers that this guy is quite the knifeman, at least in his own mind.)

Bladedancer wrote:
He says "I should hope so these fools have no idea who they are trifling with. I swear when I found out who is responsible for this injustice I will sink Twilight hilt deep into their skull!"

Nondescript Man looks over and grins at the gold elf. "Aye, that's the spirit."

Wicke wrote:
The name is Tikal, and I am a sorceress of no small renown on my homeworld of Destran. Specifically, I'm a journeywoman student at the Turin es'Ohln University."

Maltheniir is noticeably distracted for a few moments when Nim makes that remark. He smirks.

Nim makes her wrists and hands much more slender, enough so that she can slip off the manacles any time she'd like.

Karsus wrote:
Icanthas leaned in for a closer look at her companion's hands

The black-haired tiefer's feet may not appear unusual (though she is in footwear), but her hands are. Her fingers are very long and thin, too much so for a human really, with yellowed, tough fingernails that remind Icanthas more of vestigial claws than the human version.

It takes a while for Icanthas to get the cord to come loose, but the Blood Warrior is incredibly dextrous even by tiefling standards, and eventually is able to manage it. Once she gets the other tiefer's fingers free, Icanthas is able to clearly make out the brand on the other woman's left hand.

[Given Icanthas' background, I'll give you this one without requiring a skill check.]

[Spoiler for Icanthas only]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
Icanthas recognizes the personal sigil of a reclusive arcanaloth she has heard referred to as the Smith of Gehenna, and also as the Hater or Despiser of Gond. Among Blood Warriors, he is known as one of the greatest weaponsmiths in all the Lower Planes -- possibly even THE greatest weaponsmith of those planes, though some might debate that point. He specializes in the creation of extremely high-end Blood War weaponry, which ends up being sold to tanar'ri, baatezu, and various other parties, including mortals. The weapons he creates, however, are guaranteed to eventually damn the soul of any mortal wielder. He also creates many other devices and marvels. His creations require the souls of beings with specific and often hard-to-find qualities (unusual courage, hatred, wisdom, and so forth). The name 'Hater of Gond' came about because he supposedly stole the soul of a priest of Gond Wonderbringer who was particularly favored of that God. The God in question is said to have personally sought out the fiend, retrieved the soul of the priest, and imprisoned the fiend inside a 'clever device' for 100 years. It would be most unwise to ever call the fiend 'Hater of Gond' to his face. He is known for being somewhat protective of minions that he has personally marked, such as this one appears to be, and for arranging the death of anyone who forges his mark. The fiend's degree of influence over the Blood War arms trade is not to be underestimated.

It occurs to Icanthas that if anyone could restore her mother's blade, it would be this being. Of course, there is the question of whether he would even consider the project worth his time, and any such deal would undoubtedly involve either the implicit or explicit forfeiture of Icanthas' soul.

The black-haired tiefling rubs her fingers, most likely trying to restore better circulation to them. She gives Icanthas a grateful look, but gestures, as best as her manacles allow, toward the knot that holds her gag in place. There is a good chance that her manacles continue to impede spellcasting.

Tim4488 wrote:
Turning to Maltheniir, he asks, in a friendly enough manner, "Anything else you know? Our captors don't seem the most... professional cutters, though then again, this is Curst. Anyway, any other information you could share would be greatly appreciated."

"I know lots of things, cutter. About lots of things, and about lots of cutters." His tone is a bit boastful there. "Be more specific. I do know a few darks about the black-haired bint over there, for example. That she's the very thing I've tried so hard never to become. Her master won't be pleased that she managed to get into a fix like this." While the bard had sounded very serious when he had made the second to last statement, Maltheniir smiles when he says that last bit, in a way that suggests he is really not empathetic about her plight. The bard somehow fails to mention that he himself is in a similar fix.

"I know one or two things about you, as well. Not a lot, I've heard you spend a lot of time banging around the Hive. Tell me about yourself." After he says that, however, the bard starts, looking toward the door that leads out of the chamber.

Spoiler (everyone who rolled a total of at least 15 on the Listen check):

Spoiler: Highlight to view
A distant scream emanates from somewhere outside the room. It sounds a very great deal like a death scream, and it sounds as though the berk is being added to the dead-book perhaps more slowly and painfully than is really necessary.

Spoiler (Josidiah, anyone else who rolled a natural 20 on Listen):

Spoiler: Highlight to view
That was definitely the voice of one of the two guards that were in here earlier. The faint sound of clashing blades can be heard as well.

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Repulsed by the nondescript human's palette for bloodshed, Sphinx decides that his cell.. as well as the multiverse would be better without him. Yes, he would attempt to murder the murderer. The only question is if the attempt would be postponed or near-immediate. For Spinx, it is important to learn about those in the immediate surroundings. There may be someone among the prisoners who holds an interest in keeping the butcher alive, thus he deems it best to gauge the thoughts of those around to see who would be galvanized to be a potential enemy or perhaps even a potential ally in the impending deed. He does just that.

Sighing despondently, he offers a forlorn, wistful gaze out the cell. What he's actually doing is attempting to switch the focus of his mental infiltrate towards the olivine priestess. Spinx would attempt to judge her to see if she is someone worth warning about the potential danger to her from the nondescript.

After sighing, he offers weakly: "My crime? Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Sphinx laughs bitterly after the vague response. An observer might think that he is laughing at his own unfortunate circumstance, but anyone able to discern the deformed human's thoughts would realize that the laugh is in response to irony of his words and how they will eventually apply to the nondescript... or so he intends.

__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Burning Spear's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-12-02
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

The bearded Githyanki simply perks his ears slightly.. keeping silent for now and looking what the others are up to..

(ooc: ignore the first roll, I still don't really like the dice system..)

Listen check
I rolled 1d20, 2 each, the result is 1 = 1.
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 8, 2 = 10.
Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Nim's eyes narrow after hearing something off in the distance, then she turns her attention back towards the manacles.

"I think I can do it!"

She drops into a crouch, places a foot between the two bindings on her hands and starts pulling upwards, yelling while she does so. After straining against them, she manages to slip both hands out. Proudly, she holds up both hands and both of her thumbs are severely dislocated.

To nobody in particular:"Handy trick, being able to do that, don't you think? Now, let's see about getting that cell-door open!"

As she walks over to the door, she slams her hands against her thighs a few times, apparently trying to slam her thumbs back into place. She drops into a crouch in front of the lock on the cell door and starts to consider it.

"So, miss healer, do you have a name? And, while you're at it, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit about yourself. You know, to reciprocate. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, I'm afraid. And you, bardy, once she's done rattling her bonebox, maybe you can give us some insight into this Torvus Giljaf fellow as I think he'll figure pretty importantly in our lives during the next few hours."

(OOC: Nim is looking at the lock and trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to try casting Acid Splash in an attempt to melt the lock. She's not hopeful. She's also reaching out and trying to see if she can get a feel for where her familiar might be, as she's at a bit of a disadvantage in the bluffing department without it.)

Bluff check to make it seem like she really did just dislocate both her thumbs:
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 9, 15 = 24.
Bladedancer's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2008-05-21
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Upon hearing the scream Josidiah jumps to his feet and almost succumbs to the urge to yell out to the others what he has heard. Instead he steels himself and says quietly to his cellmate "Someone just shived one of the guards" "What do you think someone is here to bust one of the prisoners out? Or a dispute between one of the other guards?"

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash is getting ready to respond to Maltheniir when he starts himself at the scream. "That... is not a good sign. Turning to Josidiah, he eyes the gold elf suspiciously. "How are you sure it's a guard? Could just as easily be a prisoner in another cell." His hands squirm slightly in their manacles. If the ranger has to face death today, he would rather at least be free to try to defend himself.

Virash eyes "Tikal's" performance with amusement. ((Note: He'll be a little bit amused whether he thinks it's real or not.)) "Quite." Turning back to Maltheniir, he shrugs a bit resignedly. "I don't usually expect my reputation to proceed me. But if you know my preferred kips, you know about all there is to know. And specifically, I was wondering the same thing as our sorceress companion here. About Torvus, and anything else about this town you may have picked up."

Sense motive opposing Nim's bluff.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 3, 11 = 14.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

The minutes passed slowly as Icanthas tested her companion's bonds. The guards had done a decent job with it. She guessed the woman probably wasn't the first mage to be held here. Her attention shifted back to Tikal as she probed the restraints, distracted somewhat by the sorceress' shouting. She watched with slight amusement as the smaller woman strained against her manacles, and was caught by surprise when Tikal's hands popped out.
A useful trick indeed, Icanthas thought, but it won't help get this blek off the rest of us. She twisted back around and more diligently continued her endeavor. She shoved her fingertips more forcefully anywhere they would reach, hoping for some change. She inflicted more than a few scratches to the raven-haired woman with her short-cut fingernails, and received an even share of her own, drawing her notice to the other woman's nails. They looked yellowed, and a bit thicker and tougher than her own, almost like claws. For that matter, the woman's hands felt odd as well, as if somewhat stretched, with thin, elongated fingers. A tad odd for a human, wasn't it? Perhaps she had a bit of something extra in her blood. Not that it mattered. Nor was it relevant to Icanthas' efforts. She gave a half-shrug as she dismissed the thought.
After another moment, she finally met with some success! She managed to slip a fingertip under a length of the rope. She pushed it deeper through the gap, hooking the digit around the cord, and gave it a few tugs, tightening the whole of the binding, but creating some slack where she had it hooked. She then began pulling the strand down the length of the other woman's nearest finger, pressing with her thumb to force the extremity down for a little more room to work with. Another moment, and she had that digit freed, providing the cord with enough slack now to begin pulling away from the woman's hands.
"Fwaha!" Icanthas exclaimed triumphantly, with a wide grin, as the strand finally fell away. With the woman's hands no longer enshrouded with her bindings, the tiefling could make out a symbol branded into her flesh. She'd seen that mark somewhere before, hadn't she? It was... Oh! The seal of the Smith of Gehenna, reputed to be the greatest crafter of arms in all the Dark Planes. Perhaps there really was cross-trading concerning the War going on, after all.
She couldn't help but wonder, could the Smith restore her sword? Of course simply repairing a weapon would be well within his abilities, but the matter of its previous reconstruction could complicate the process. Would he even consider her request, were she able to make one? It didn't seem overly likely. But hey, maybe her companion could put in a good word for her...
She shook herself from her thoughts. There are more important things to worry about. Focus! she silently admonished herself.
She turned her attention back to what she'd been doing and... right, she'd already freed her companion's hands. But the gag yet remained. She shifted her balance and pivoted on one knee to turn herself around, until she faced the other woman. She leaned in and pressed her face into the woman's cheek, using her teeth to grab hold of the gag and tugged it down until it fell past the pale tiefer's chin to hang around her neck.
Icanthas then releases the gag and leans back. "Alright, your turn."

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Wicke wrote:
She drops into a crouch, places a foot between the two bindings on her hands and starts pulling upwards, yelling while she does so. After straining against them, she manages to slip both hands out. Proudly, she holds up both hands and both of her thumbs are severely dislocated.

The bard winces. "Oh, lass," Maltheniir says softly. It might occur to some in the chamber that bards tend to value their hands highly.

Wicke wrote:
"So, miss healer, do you have a name? And, while you're at it, I wouldn't mind hearing a bit about yourself. You know, to reciprocate. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage, I'm afraid. And you, bardy, once she's done rattling her bonebox, maybe you can give us some insight into this Torvus Giljaf fellow as I think he'll figure pretty importantly in our lives during the next few hours."

Nim's cellmate replies: "It's Ruvillira. They put me in here for, quote, 'feeding indigents without a permit.' It's ridiculous: something I'd expect from Ribcage, but not Curst. In a place like this, they usually just try to run you out of town, or demand a garnish. I try to help people here, Powers know most of them need it."

She eyes Nim's hands with concern.

On the opposite side of the cellblock, the tiefling bard manages a faint smirk, even after seeing 'Tikal' seemingly dislocate her hands. "Tikal, the lady's a god-botherer." The olive-skinned woman eyes him. "Trithereon. She keeps it dark often as not because a lot of the local thugs, scum, and slavers don't exactly cleave to the Summoner. I reckon she knows more portals out of the burg than I do. No shortage of god-work for her on the doorstep of the prison-plane."

[DM rolls something behind the DM screen...]

[Spoiler for Sphinx only]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
The olive-skinned woman is worried about what this new development in Curst portends. It sounds as though Torvus is going after what could be called 'dissenters,' like herself, and non-locals, like Tikal and the tiefling bard. Torvus usually puts up with... odd cutters... as long as they don't directly confront his power.

She's very annoyed that Maltheniir has revealed her to be a priestess of Trithereon. It could cause... problems if that became too well-known. She also worries about what's going on outside, in town. She thinks first of one young man she's been trying to help get out of town; he is the son of an exile, and is definitely not in the burg by choice. There are others who may end up going hungry for a few days if she can't talk her way out of here or break out of here fast enough.

She is horrified, in a deep ideological sense, by the brand on the female tiefling's hand.

The bard goes on. "Torvus? Even most other 'zerai don't like the berk. Used to be a Defier. Couldn't rope enough Defiers into his plans, and ended up here. He's a bitter sort and a right stag-turner, like most in this burg. He's also a hende spellslinger, so it's no real surprise he ended up as the mayor."

Wicke wrote:
(OOC: Nim is looking at the lock and trying to figure out if it would be worthwhile to try casting Acid Splash in an attempt to melt the lock. She's not hopeful. She's also reaching out and trying to see if she can get a feel for where her familiar might be, as she's at a bit of a disadvantage in the bluffing department without it.)

After contemplating the problem for a bit, Nim is fairly certain that a single casting of the spell would not do the job. Casting the spell repeatedly at the same area, however, might actually get the sorceress somewhere. It might actually melt the lock through, but even if it didn't, it would probably weaken the lock to the point where it would be much easier to bash. The downside is that it might damage the mechanism without actually getting the cell door open, making 'finesse' solutions such as picking the lock less probable. If a handy lockpick were to be had anywhere, that is, which really doesn't seem to be the case. While Ruvillira doesn't look quite as buff as say, the more athletic of the two tieflings in the opposite cell, she does look to be in good shape.

The sorceress is able to contact her familiar. It seems to be just outside the building where Nim and the others are being held. It feels cold, but is otherwise in good health, and it worries about how its mistress is doing. It heard/smelled/felt the vibrations of some two-leggeds as they entered the building recently. They were in a hurry, and they smelled like anger.

Bladedancer wrote:
"Someone just shived one of the guards"

Maltheniir eyes the door, and begins to work at his own bonds in earnest. Virash gets the impression that the bard has some skill at this sort of thing, but the manacles appear to defeat him, for now. The bard curses under his breath.

Tim4488 wrote:
"and anything else about this town you may have picked up."

"I know... enough... about this burg. What I don't know is who either garnished or threatened Torvus into turning stag. I'd pay good jink for that dark."

Karsus wrote:
She leaned in and pressed her face into the woman's cheek, using her teeth to grab hold of the gag and tugged it down until it fell past the pale tiefer's chin to hang around her neck. Icanthas then releases the gag and leans back. "Alright, your turn."

"Excellent. Thank you." The black-haired tiefer cranes her neck to get a good look at her manacles, and utters a single word, in a commanding voice:

[Spoiler for speakers of Yugoloth]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
"Unbind!"

The spellslinger's manacles release and fall to the ground.

The branded tiefling rubs her wrists, looking distinctly pleased with this new development. The spellslinger unties the gag and allows it to fall to the floor of the cell. She looks to Icanthas and says something quietly in the yugoloth tongue.

[Spoiler for speakers of Yugoloth]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
"I will remember how useful you have been to me."

In the common tongue: "I'm able to sunder either your bonds, or the lock on the door to this cell. Any preference?"

[Spellcraft to know which spell was used, though it's pretty obvious, in my opinion.]

The increasing cacophony outside the cell block is becoming much more apparent to everyone. The next scream is easily heard by all, though it is shorter in duration than the last one had been. The sounds of weapons clashing against one another are much louder, as is the clanking of what must be armor.

[Spoiler for those who make a DC 10 Listen check]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
Voices can be heard roaring over the din:

"Your screams are mine, your pain is mine,
Give our Lord the fine red wine!"

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Listen check goes here...

Listen Check.
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 15, 11 = 26.
Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Listen check:

I rolled 1d20, the result is 16 = 16.
Burning Spear's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-12-02
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Listen check again, (i'll botch it, lol, see what I mean, sigh)
so deaf as a ....

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 4, 2 = 6.
Bladedancer's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2008-05-21
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Listen check

I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 12, 2 = 14.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

[Icanthas' listen check.

Let's see if I can manage this one..]
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

After hearing the sounds from the adjacent area, Sphinx decides to alter his course of action. No longer having the luxury of probing every mind in the cell block, he takes his chances with Ruvillira. While casually scratching the back of his neck, he wills the probing extension of his mind to loosen its diffuse web from the priestess. He then sharpens it into an invisible ray, and thrusts it deep inside to establish a Mindlink.

Once linked, he would attempt to communicate in a hurried, non-threatening tone:

[Spoiler for Zimrazim]

Spoiler: Highlight to view

~Do not be alarmed, I am the man in Cell Five - the one scratching the back of my neck. The other man in my cell is a criminally insane barmy who plans to kill you once he manages to escape. I suspect the ruckus outside is the doing of his gang who have come to break him out. If need be, I can will us out of this place, but I'd rather not make the full extent of my talent known to a chamber full of prisoners in this city of backstabbers and betrayers unless it is absolutely necessary. Are you able to free yourself from your bonds? Think back and respond ~

Listen Check
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 9, 2 = 11.
Concentration check to hide the Mental Manifestation of Mindlink
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 20, 13 = 33.
__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Karsus wrote:
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 2, 5 = 7.
[ ...Well, at least she got to hear something this time.]

Icanthas simply nods at the other tiefer's thanks, and watches the manacles fall away with a mix of jealousy and anticipation, hoping the woman won't just soloth off without doing anything for her.
She smirks at the quiet words and responds in the same language.
[Spoiler for speakers of Yugoloth]:

Spoiler: Highlight to view

"Well, we'll just have to see about evening things out then, won't we?"

Finally hearing something of the ruckus from outside the cellblock, Icanthas turns her attention toward the door. She watches it for a few heartbeats and, when it seems noone or nothing is coming through immediately, she looks back to her cellmate. Switching back to Common, she says, "I think I'd like my hands free. Giving the guards --or whoever caused that-- the laugh with these sodding things on isn't something I wanna try."

[Description of the door please, Zim?]

Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

After considering the lock for a few moments, Nim frowns and gives an exasperated sigh. She stands up from her crouch and sizes Ruvillira up for a moment or two.

"No chances, no fortunes, right dear?"

Then she gets a wild look on her face and turns back towards the lock and starts casting.

(OOC: Do I need to make any rolls for this? And how many uses of the spell will this take?)

Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Cadence wrote:
~Do not be alarmed, I am the man in Cell Five - the one scratching the back of my neck. The other man in my cell is a criminally insane barmy who plans to kill you once he manages to escape. I suspect the ruckus outside is the doing of his gang who have come to break him out. If need be, I can will us out of this place, but I'd rather not make the full extent of my talent known to a chamber full of prisoners in this city of backstabbers and betrayers unless it is absolutely necessary. Are you able to free yourself from your bonds? Think back and respond ~

[spoiler for Sphinx]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
~I... Thank you for telling me this. [The woman is obviously alarmed at the news that the nondescript man wants to kill her.] ~Normally I do know a spell that can break a lock, but I can't cast it with my own hands bound! And I don't have Trithereon's Rune of Pursuit on me - they took it away. [Mental image of a three-armed rune, obviously a holy symbol]

Karsus wrote:
Switching back to Common, she says, "I think I'd like my hands free. Giving the guards --or whoever caused that-- the laugh with these sodding things on isn't something I wanna try."

"Done." The branded tiefling makes a sharp gesture toward Icanthas' manacles, pointing toward them with middle and index fingers held together:

[Spoiler for speakers of Yugoloth]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
"Be broken in twain!"

Rather than merely unlocking themselves, as the pale tiefer's bonds had done, Icanthas' manacles break with the sound of snapping metal, the device ruined.

[Spellcraft check if you'd like to know what spell that was.]

The cell door and its lock appear stout, but Icanthas is very strong. The tiefling reasons that she might be able to bash it in given enough time. [Strength checks, but it'll probably take at least a couple of rounds.]

Wicke wrote:
"No chances, no fortunes, right dear?"

Then she gets a wild look on her face and turns back towards the lock and starts casting.

(OOC: Do I need to make any rolls for this? And how many uses of the spell will this take?)

[Roll 1d3 for damage, but it'll take several castings.]

Acid is a good choice for this situation: Nim can immediately tell that the acid is beginning to eat away at the metal of the lock to the cell door. The spell only produces a small quantity of acid, however, and more will be needed to get this sodding lock open...

With an incredibly loud crash, the door leading out of the cell block is kicked in from the outside, with more than enough force to send it bouncing against the wall more than once. Several figures begin to crowd into the chamber, all wielding bared and bloody weapons, all clad in either metal or leather armor. All of the figures appear to be male, though several races are represented: human, half-orc, tiefling, and one that appears to be a humanoid/tiefling cross of some kind. The first through the door is the armored human that Icanthas and Lyei quickly recognize as the one called 'Grisev' from the Quartered Man, with the addition of a white surcoat. Well, presumably it had been a white surcoat at one time: at this point it has been liberally spattered with the 'fine red wine' of the lyric. All the prisoners notice that each of the armored figures is wearing something white -- a cloak, a surcoat, a cape -- and now blood-spattered. Two rings of keys are visible at Grisev's belt, likely 'liberated' from the city guards.

The nondescript man calls out. "Boss!"

Maltheniir looks at the nondescript man, obviously surprised.

Ruvillira is clearly alarmed when the group enters, but manages to school her expression after the initial shock.

The one called Grisev raises the visor of his helm and eyes each of the prisoners contemplatively, noting especially the absence of shackles on Nim, Icanthas, and the branded tiefling, as well as the partially melted lock on the changeling's cell door. When his face is turned away from Icanthas' cell, the black-haired tiefling flashes a quick hand sign to her cellmate: Wait. Icanthas notices, though, that the branded tiefer moves to stand behind her.

"You're resourceful. Good. You'll need it." Grisev's eyes roam over the group as he speaks, giving each prisoner the impression that he is addressing him or her directly. "Each of you is wondering why you were arrested and brought here, most likely on false charges. The Defier has sold you out. Transients... dissidents... never-do-wells... troublemakers. People Torvus won't miss. Were it not for my interference, all of you would be press-ganged into the Blood War by morning."

"Perhaps," the man continues, "you seek revenge against the one who betrayed you. I can provide you that. I need many more prisoners freed, and a shipment of supplies destroyed. I also need someone to carry the message to the working men of the city that their leader has turned on them. In addition, I can give you directions to the place where what I assume is your gear was taken -- though I doubt you'd be the first to pick through it."

[Sent a spoiler for Virash as a PM.]

[Also, give me two Spot checks each and a Listen check, please.]

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Skill checks doodedoo

Spot Check #1
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 15, 11 = 26.
Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Spot Check #2

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 9, 11 = 20.
Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Listen Check

I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 15, 11 = 26.
Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash does his best not to look startled by what's going on - well, not as startled as he feels, anyway. A little bit of a start is probably well and appropriate. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, it seemed. "Aye, I'll be seeking revenge." He fiddles with his manacles in a frustrated way, eager to be rid of the impediments. "And what sort of a shipment is this? Weapons for the Blood War?" Truth be told, the ranger would not have considered this man his first choice of employers, but desperate times...

Wicke's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2009-04-24
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

(ooc: Just FYI, Nim still looks very much like a corpse)

Just before the door is kicked in: "Sodding lock!"

Nim is momentarily startled by the crashing door and involuntarily steps back from the cell door.

After listening to Grisev's proposal, she purses her lips and frowns while she considers things. When Virash makes his comments, she brightens up.

"Well cutter, you're offering the best deal I can get in here! If one of you dear fellows could kindly do me the honor of opening up my cell, I'll be glad to help you folks out!

Acid damage to the lock:
I rolled 1d3, the result is 2 = 2.
Spellcraft check (Nim can speak Yugoloth):
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 11, 9 = 20.
Spot check #1:
I rolled 1d20, the result is 20 = 20.
Spot check #2:
I rolled 1d20, the result is 2 = 2.
Listen check:
I rolled 1d20, the result is 12 = 12.
Cadence of the Planes's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-08-08
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Sphinx regards the incoming group with a blank, neutral expression. His concentration remains on the priestess as he continues to focus the spear of mental energy towards her.

[Spoiler for Zimrazim]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
I think we have little choice other than to take up these prison breakers on their offer of... "revenge" at this very moment. You might be able to retrieve the item which you seek... but then again it may be more prudent to leave it be. Intuition begs me to not trust this crew - they did not just murder a group of city guards for the sake of having a shipment destroyed or assisting the unjustly incarcerated. There are a few things that we are not being told. I say we feign compliance until we are free and a safe distance away. Your thoughts?

Spot 1
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
Spot 2
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
Listen
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 12, 2 = 14.
__________________

"Act. Do. Be." -Factol Rhys

Burning Spear's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-12-02
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Lyei looks at the newcomers with a certain disdain..

He remains silent only so much, but he keeps himself positioned to have the elf in his cell also in view..

He then whispers towards the elf
In Draconic:

Spoiler: Highlight to view
"Well, 'Noble' Elf, seems we are about to find out how to take revenge, but be warned about these "lesser beings", their motives might be ulterior..O, and about swords, I should have a weapon you might be interested in, for I am proficient in the Elven Thinblade..."
he winks an eye at the last statement..

Spot 1
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 10, 2 = 12.
Spot 2
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 2, 2 = 4.
Listen
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 6, 2 = 8.
Note the breaking of the handcuffs by magic
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 10, 9 = 19.
Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Icanthas grinned as her wrists were released, giving a grateful nod to her cellmate. She quickly pulled her arms in front of her and stretched them, before taking a moment to rub at her wrists, impassively noting as she did that her earlier struggles against her manacles had rubbed her skin raw. It wouldn't hinder her escape attempt, and wasn't even an irritant; it was irrelevant.
"Alright, let's see what I can do about this door," she said as she pushed herself to her feet. She stepped toward the cell door and stooped down to begin her examination of the lock. She wasn't very knowledgeable on such subjects, but it appeared fairly well-made. She had no doubt it would stand up against most prisoners, but she was certain its creator hadn't crafted it with the intent of holding warriors with skills such as hers. She expected it wouldn't hold long, but regretted that she had no weapons on hand but her fists. This wouldn't be pleasant...
She cracked her knuckles and lined up her impending strike. She took a deep breath and drew her fist back, about to deliver a powerful punch to the lock, when the cell block door crashed open. Intent as she had been on her strike, the sudden loud noise elicited a slight jump in the tiefer. Her gaze snapped to the newcomers, she straightened and she took half a step back from her door. No sense letting these bloods too close before they made their intentions known.
She warily eyed the speaker --what was his name again? Grisev? Yes, that sounded right-- as he addressed the prisoners. She merely gave a smirk upon noticing her cellmate's gestures. Wait for what? she thought. Not a whole lot I can do from in here...
To Grisev she responds, "If helping you means you'll get this door open and point me to my chiv, count me in."

Spot #1
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 1, 5 = 6.
Spot #2
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 16, 5 = 21.
Listen
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 10, 5 = 15.
Zimrazim's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-01-14
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

[The spell cast to break the manacles earlier was a targeted Shatter spell cast in conjunction with the Eschew Materials feat. Nim and Lyei figure this out.]

[The area beyond the now-open door leading outside this chamber is somewhat shadowy. Virash's sharp ears hear a very faint creak of leather. Perhaps someone is there, hidden.]

Tim4488 wrote:
"And what sort of a shipment is this? Weapons for the Blood War?"

"It is intended for the War. Weapons should be part of it, but most would be low-end. I'd expect mainly general equipment, tools, components for spells, food for mortal troops. There should be enough treasure to interest you, though. I don't care if you take gold or jewels, as long as you destroy anything you don't take."

Virash and Nim notice that Grisev is wearing something around his neck: they can just make out a few links of finely-wrought steel chain. The rest appears to be underneath his armor at the moment.

Cadence wrote:
I think we have little choice other than to take up these prison breakers on their offer of... "revenge" at this very moment. You might be able to retrieve the item which you seek... but then again it may be more prudent to leave it be. Intuition begs me to not trust this crew - they did not just murder a group of city guards for the sake of having a shipment destroyed or assisting the unjustly incarcerated. There are a few things that we are not being told. I say we feign compliance until we are free and a safe distance away. Your thoughts?

[spoiler for Sphinx only]

Spoiler: Highlight to view
~I think your intuition is dead on. These men have nothing good in mind for anyone.

Wicke wrote:
"Well cutter, you're offering the best deal I can get in here! If one of you dear fellows could kindly do me the honor of opening up my cell, I'll be glad to help you folks out!

Karsus wrote:
"If helping you means you'll get this door open and point me to my chiv, count me in."

"I will." Grisev sounds distinctly approving. "Still, fools have lied to me before. I'm sure you won't object if I use an enchanted item I've come across to be sure of you." The man draws two lengths of thin, black leather cord from a small leather pouch at his belt. "I assume you've heard of a geas before. These are similar. It's as I said: I want all of the prisoners released, and I want the working men of the city to be told how Torvus Giljaf has betrayed them. Should you fail to carry out these tasks, which of course you won't, you would be cursed. I don't think I need to use this measure for the supply shipment. I find that one can't rely much on either altruism or gratitude. Greed is another matter."

The man smiles thinly, his gaze meeting that of each of the prisoners. "Do I have two volunteers?"

Nim's cellmate is clearly disturbed by this new development, but says nothing.

[General idea on the cords is similar to a geas (your PC is compelled to perform a certain action), but this effect operates on a much shorter time scale, considering that the task needs to be done in a matter of hours, not weeks. The penalty for not following through is also different -- being cursed rather than taking damage. DM is not inclined to comment on what precisely the curse would be, heh heh.]

__________________

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Tim4488's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2010-01-19
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Virash nods at the explanation, making sure to keep his ears and eyes open. He'd hate for someone just outside this room to get the drop on him just because he's busy talking to Grisev. He steps up, or at least as much as possible while still chained. "I'll volunteer." The human pauses, then adds, "That had better be all those cords do, though." Not that he's in much position to negotiate, he thinks to himself resignedly...

Karsus's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2011-07-05
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Icanthas snickered at Grisev's response to the other prisoner and said, "So you're saving us from shipping off to the Blood War by involving us in a different way. How noble of you." Her tone was clearly sarcastic, but she appeared more amused than displeased by his task. "I assume they'll be well guarded?"

She furrowed her brow and looked on curiously as the man produced the leather cords. In fact, she hadn't heard of a geas, but she didn't like the sound of it. "And these toys of yours'll come off without cursing us once we've done your dirty work? How can you guarantee that? Do you have any more details to pass on to the workers, or is what we already know it?"

Burning Spear's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2007-12-02
Re: Game: Cross Purposes

Lyei's eyebrow raises when the Geas gets mentioned.. he thinks for a moment to try and recollect the details of such an incantation.. He grimaces at the recollections details that come to mind..

"Human, I accept, not out of awe of your resources or abilites, but simply because of the leverage this situation has at the moment, if our co-operation deems fruitfull, we will see how we continue after this escapade is done.., I reluctantly accept.." and with that Lyei nods his head.

"For me there are two items I need retrieving, a simple slim blade, and a particular ring.. I expect those to be returned if and when we find our resources again.." he exclaims more smoothly then seems capable of..

Roll spellcraft for Geas know.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 8, 9 = 17.
Diplomacy for 2nd comment
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 11, 10 = 21.
Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.