This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes speaks about the puppy, the little animal squeeks almost constantly, pressing itself against his leg.

"... and just what I need is some little noise contraption following me around..."

Just as Blackthornes speaks these words, the puppy sits down, falls silent and looks up at him, waggling its little furry tail.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ophelia hesitates for a moment, then answers, "I have a bad feeling casting spells here without a spell key. I think we should simply avoid the circle."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks down again, and notices his current state.*
" ah, are trying to tell me something little guy? you think you could be quiet?"
*Blackthornes will pet the dog, then look to the skies quickly, then back to the puppy.*

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian turns toward Blackthornes and yells. "Power be damned, Blackthornes! Can't you just..." when all of a sudden he seemed distracted. "Wait... Blackthornes, step away from the dog."

"There is something... off about this dog. As soon as you said that you didn't want a noisly little thing following you, it went quiet. It's one thing to become quiet when ordered to do so, that you can train. But having it understand a line of coversation and acting on it seems... suspicious. Especially for an innocent looking dog found, alone, in the middle of the Abyss. This dog is either smarter then its letting on, or something in disguise. Either way, it seems intent on staying with us, otherwise it wouldn't have shut up as quick as it did."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I think your a tad to wound up about that puppy Ian. All of you are! It's just a dog, nothing more, nothing less. Just because he sits down and hushes up doesn't mean he's some horrible hell beast. I act on lines of conversation all the time and I'm not much differnt than a dog."

to blackthorns..."Do you think it's ok if Ms. Daisy and your puppy play?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks to the masked gnoll*
"Sure, if the little fellow wants to, then he can."
*to Ian*
"I think Im gonna go with the MG's oppinion on this one. He is a ranger, after all. Maybe the dog is just a tad smarter than your average dog. Kinda like our big friend over there."
*Points to mg.*
"I dont know for sure shadowknife, but I'd say he's just a dog. Perhaps Ophelia or Mg himself could use some of their natural abilites to determine this? I would like to get this little fellows identity purified in your eyes, if you dont mind."
*Blackthornes will turn to Mg*
"hey masked gnoll, do you have any abilities that would allow you to speak to him, or determine whether or not he is as he appears?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Blackthornes, not to nitpick, but you realize you don't know he's a ranger, right?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ophelia steps forward. "Wait a moment, I think I have an idea. IF it is a real puppy, it probably belonged to someone, and..."

She kneels down and makes soft squeeking sounds, imitating the dog. The puppy looks at her with its large eyes, then looks up at Blackthornes, then again at Ophelia. Suddenly, it begins to squeek again, even louder than before.

"Noise", Ophelia speaks out loud - and the dog falls silent again. Its floppy ears lifted up, it looks at Blackthornes again, panting and waggling its tail.

Ophelia turns to Ian. "I think 'noise' could be a command word it learned."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc - Question; I know that Ophelia can only speak in whispers due to a throat injury, annd as this is the first she's actually spoken, it's a convienient time to ask this - Is her scar visible or does she wear a scarf?]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: As far as I know, the scar is visible]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: why would you say that fid? I could just assume he was a ranger, I mean, he's got an animal companion.
*blackthornes nods and speaks to the group*
"well, there you go. It seems he is just a normal dog to me."
*Blackthornes will turn to Ophelia*
"by the way, what was it that you said to him exactly?"

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I forgot to mention this earlier, but I'll be away for two weeks. So I'll leave Saath in joybloods hands until then.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Regardless, without actually using the word "ranger", Blackthones just saw MG speak with one animal.]

[ooc - have anice trip, Finwe]

The Nabassu fades back into visibility.

"Well-trained dog (I then applaud his trainer judging his age), or shapeshifting demonspawn (in which case I applaud its ability to subdue its pride and remain in such a form), we have agreed to bring the pup with us, and deal with any problems as they arise."

"Speaking of problems, the more I think about that circle at the crossroads, the more suspicious I become. Now, I was invisible when I checked it out, so if there is a trap or ambush associated with it, then anyone watching the area would still assume we're still blissfully ignorant."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Hi all!

Sorry for not posting earlier - I needed a few days off and completely forgot I hadn't posted anything in here yet.

Well, I hope you all had a great Xmas and that you will have a wonderful New Year's Eve and a fantastic new year! I'm really waiting to see what we'll create together in this story Smiling

I'll make my next in-game post after New Year's Eve. Until then - all the best to all of you! Laughing out loud

Have fun,

Heiner]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Happy new year to all of you! Smiling ]

Ophelia turns to Blackthornes. "I imitated the sound a dog makes in situations of fear," she explains. "The dog thought of it as a warning, and became fearful himself, so he made the same sounds. And he is..."

She turns to the nabassu. "He is indeed well trained, and on my home world I would totally agree with you. But in Sigil, I HAVE seen dogs as young as this who were perfectly trained. Maybe magic, maybe a special planar race of dogs... but I've seen that it's possible."

As the nabassu finishes his speech about the circle, she looks around at everyone in the group. "So... what'll we do next?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian thinks for a moment, then turns to Rex. "What is the circle made out of? Normally I wouldn't tinker with magic like this, but unless it was specifically warded against such an attack, the Masked Gnoll could probably break it."

"Or if that sounds like as bad an idea to everyone else as it does to me now that I've said it aloud, we have a second option. If the circle is anything to worry about at all, its probably a trap of some sort. A magical trap in all likelihood, but a trap still the same. Blackthornes and I can take a crack at disabling it in a less violent way then simply smashing it, however it may only disable it for a short time."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I'm totally against simply smashing the circle," Naruk says. "Besides, I think we should consider it's possible someone wanted us to see it.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks down at the puppy and gives him a pat on the head, then looks up at Ian.*
"well, we could try to disable it, or we could simply walk around it. either way i am content. We need to keep a low profile here, regardless. I will do whatever the group decides."
*Blackthornes will then squat down and fromp the puppy until he is approached again or a dicision is made.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Just as Blackthornes finishes his last sentence, a new figure appears only ten feet away: A normal, grey goat comes out of a path between two houses, standing still on the street and staring at the group.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian stares open-mouthed at the goat for a moment. "Okay, I could have accepted the existence of the dog, I guess. But unless one of you honestly thinks that some berk came out here with his pet goat and kicked the bucket, I think its time to assume that something is going on here."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks up at the goat*
"This is a little confusing, anybody have any idea what might be happening here?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Well, I wouldn't think that normal, everyday animals would be natives to a layer of the abyss. And if they were they would probably be more... ravenous. They could either be from off plane, probably from a portal that happens to lead to some farm, or quite possibly the result of the most useless summoning spell I have ever heard of."

"Or, considerably less likely, and yet inversely proportional in regards to terror, the result of some sort of mean spirited polymorph. Either way, there must be a reason why they are not killed immediately by this layer's inhabitants."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Rex' answers Ian's question "The circle seemed to be drawn on the cobbles with gold paint."

When the Goat shows up:

"I must admit, I've been here awhile now (far, far longer than I'd originally planned) but this is the very first time this place has reminded me of a barnyard. I've never been the trusting sort, and this place has sucked most of the remaining trust away. So, while it is one thing to take a suspicious and well-trained hound with us (for it may indeed yet prove its worth), a stray goat is another matter. Meat on the hoof, I'd call it. That is, if I believed it was just a normal goat, which I don't."

2 Bonus for intimidate to do
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 13.
Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc: Yes. I know. I just tried to intimidate a goat. What is life if not absurd?]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The goat stares at Rex, chewing on something for a moment. Then, its gaze wanders over to Ian. "Combination... of useless summoning... and mean polymorph," it speaks - in a very... goaty way of speaking.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Ah, so you can talk. That makes this much much easier. Please, what can you tell us about how this happened to you?" Ian asks.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I have been trav---elling the Waste... when a floating diamond caught me-ee-eee. Some mage... fighting The Curser. Cursed me, too --- right after... I arrived."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I... see." Ian turns away from the goat. "That's enough of this. Vrocks, while annoying, I can deal with. But this Curser sounds like someone we should avoid at all costs. I say we avoid the circle and make a run through the alley, on rooftop if it comes to that. Either way, I want out of this plane as soon as able."

Ian turns back to the goat. "Is there anything else, anything at all, you can tell us about this Curser?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Sure," the goat answers, staring at Ian.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian pauses, waiting for the goats response. "Could you please tell us what you know, then?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"If you he--eeeelp me in getting out... of this cursed town, su-uure."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The beefy gnoll speaks up after the goat asks for help...

"Your in luck...'cause I'm a masked vigilante who lives to help people in need. I'll get you where you need to go!"

MG then sticks his hand out as if to shake with the goat

"I'm The Masked Gnoll and I'm here to help........please don't leave me hanging...."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The goat looks up to the gnoll, then opens its mouth.

"BEEEE-EH-EH-EH-EEEH!"

Hitting the gnoll's hand with his head, he adds, "Get me out he-e-e-eeere then!"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Very well then, welcome aboard. Just tell us what else you know about the Curser, and your name if you would."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I..."

Suddenly, a strange glow surrounds the goat. A silvery shining light, beautiful and soft, makes the goat appear like a fairie creature - even in this place.

Confused and irritated, the goat looks down at itself... then suddenly screams up as it dissolves in the blink of an eye. All that remains of it is dust that is blown away by wind and rain.

Behind where the goat was, a small creature appears, floating in mid-air. Its body is a sphere of about one foot in diameter, with a large central eye and ten constantly moving eyestalks.

Everyone with anything magical active realizes the magic shuts down the moment the beholder appears.

[OOC: @Azure: Loki's ring is not affected by this!]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Take cover!" Ian yells, taking a rapid look around. He begins to reach for his bow and arrows, before realizing that they are stored in his haversack.
Crap.
Ian reaches into a pouch at his belt, and pulls out a caltrop, which he then throws at the Beholder, aiming for the central eye if possible. After that, if he has time, he's going to make a break for the nearest cover possible, even if it it simply going around a corner.

OOC: attack roll: 8 + 12 = 20
damage in the very unlikely event that it hits: 4

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

occ: should we roll initiative? i used the dice roller just in case.

0 Bonus for initiative to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 14.
4 Bonus for initiative to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 10.
dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

occ again:opps i rolled twice...the bottom one is the real one...sorry about that

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: inuitative!!

12 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 17.
Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"What the....?" The Nabassu looks at the floating monster, "Odin's Eye ,what IS that thing?"

Seeing eveyone else dive for cover, 'Rex' steps to the side, turning invisible as he does so.

4 Bonus for initiative to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 18.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Fidrikon: Please also make an initiative roll!

Here's mine for the beholder...]

4 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 7.
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Initiative roll 13 + 9 = 21

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc - so it's going Ian, Azure, Blackthornes, MG, Beholder.... (oh, Ophelia and Naruk yet)

So, Frid, once you post I will declare]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I think my caltrop throw/dive for cover takes away my turn. Besides, unless I managed to flank this sucker long enough to access my stuff, Ian's participation in this battle will be limited to inventive uses of useless items

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc: I guess me turning invisible and moving out of the way counts as my action for the turn...if i have enough movement left I will try to flank yon beastie and get set up where I have a clear shot.

Waiting for the remaining characters to post, then, before next action.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Initiative for Naruk and Ophelia:

Naruk 20
Ophelia 9 ]

Ian throws his caltrop, hitting the beholder's central eye at its left edge. The monster screams out - more angry than hurt, though.

Meanwhile, Azure realizes that turning invisible doesn't work while the beholder looks at him. Still visible, he walks to flank the creature at its left side.

[OOC: Naruk doesn't do anything obvious. Blackthornes, your turn Smiling ]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*blackthornes shoots his composite shortbow at the beholder*

OOC: if there is any confusion, I accidently posted that I had a crossbow, when in fact it is a shortbow.

15 Bonus for attk bonus to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 16.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the arrow flies right at the creature, the beholder floats upwards a bit higher, and the shot misses it.

[@dread pirate swan: MG's turn! ]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! I CAN"T EVEN KEEP A CLIENT FOR MORE THAN A FEW SECONDS!!!"

MG lets out an angered cry and charges right for the beholder,wilst drawing his flindbars. When he gets close enough to attack, he swings with all the might of his massive flind body...

occ: i'll take my move action to get there, then my standerd action for an attack

19(crit)+20=39 for (5+12)x2=34 damage

I'll get a full round attack next round, right?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Hitting the beholder with his flindbars and putting all of his might and weight into the strike, the weapon hits the beholder at the side. The creature's body splits open, blood and other fluids spilling on the ground, and the beholder cries out in pain.

Ophelia scans the sky and the surroundings, then shouts: "The vrocks are coming! They're closing in quickly!"

A split second later, the beholder directs two of his eye stalks at Ophelia, and one brown and one silvery rays of light strike at her. She is hit by both.

Her skin turns strangely grey, and with an expression of total shock, Ophelia turns to stone. Right after that, she shrinks - until all that is left of her is a small stone statue no larger than an inch. Strangely, the owl on her shoulder is petrified and shrinked with her.

Another ray of light is directed at Naruk... but goes right through him, as if he didn't exist.

[OOC: Next round - Ian's turn!]

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.