This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Yes, it seems like everyone has vanished in the last few weeks. Sad

I'm not sure what to do now. Should I take over Ian and everybody else who's gone for the moment so we can continue with the story?

Maybe we should start with a roll call first... who's still around?]

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Present!

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Nobody else?!]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Here.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

here and sorry about that i stopped looking for a few days cause no one was posting

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Ok, I PMed the players of Ian, Blackthornes and the Masked Gnoll and hope to get a reply over the weekend. I'll think up something for those who won't reply and hope we'll be able to speed up our campaign again afterwards.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: *sigh* No further replies. I'll post again tonight then, taking over the missing characters.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Okay I needed a bit to make up something to have our "missing" characters leave the story, while keeping the chance for them to return (I'm not giving up hope yet...), without wracking the story...
But, here we go.]

Suddenly, the air flickers; a cloud of darkness forms in the room. It quickly forms a humanoid shape, and then turns into Ian.
The elf seems distracted, ignoring everyone else.

"So hungry..." he says, his eyes shifting towards the Masked Gnoll.

Suddenly, the room turns into a nightmare scenario. Black lightning bolts shoot out of Ian's eyes, inverting all colours, turning light into darkness and darkness into light. The bolts hit the Masked Gnoll, then shift towards Blackthornes, until they stop as suddenly as they came.

"Yes, that is what I needed..." Ian says, then falls on the ground as if dead.

There is no trace left of Blackthornes and the Masked Gnoll. Those who look at Ian also notice that he slowly seems to drift away from this reality, his body becoming half-transparent.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Bloody Hel! Let's get off this stinkin' plane before it swollows us up too."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk's eyes go wide as he observes what's happening.

"No wait!" he says. "We need to get the portal key first! Ian's body is still there!"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: what's going on?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ OOC: Blackthornes! So you ARE still around Smiling

I made a roll call last month received only three replies; I sent PMs to everybody who didn't reply, including you, and got no reply once more.

So I decided to find a way to remove the "missing" player characters from the story while keeping a chance to bring them back in. Didn't expect that I'd bring one back in so quickly Eye-wink That is - unless you wanna step out of the game? *crosses fingers you'll stay* ]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I'll stay. I never see that PM thing. I guess Im gonna have to start opening it all the time. No need to rush getting me back in tho. Take as much time as you need. Im kinda swamped right now at home with college apllications and the like. I'll try to check daily. Soory for an inconvenience.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Okay, great. I'm really happy you're still in!
@all: I'll post something for Blackthornes to return today or tomorrow. The other characters can already act. For example, you should quickly get the portal key from Ian's body Eye-wink ]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

A whirling wind of darkness is all that Blackthornes sees for a moment. Sees, feels, even smells. Everything is gone.

Even he...

This must be the end. His heart feels cold, his soul slowly fading into non-existence, all his emotions unimportant, even his pain. His pain... it fills his mind, every little pain he ever had to feel. He observes it as from a far point, as if he was outside of his own body.

Every little pain...

The darkness has turned into a maelstrom, and it feels like it is crushing Blackthornes, like grinding stones turning his very existence into dust. It feels impossible to fight, the weight of pain and the strength of the maelstrom too much to bear.

Still... there is this voice. This voice from deep inside of his heart...

Yes, your heart, Thornes says. His cat-like voice brutally pulls Blackthornes out of his trance, the reality and danger of the situation turning back into the tiefling's consciousness. Focus on your heart. Let it lead you.

He hears the pounding of his heart, and he realizes all his feelings are still there; they were not gone, they were just too numb to feel.

Suddenly, he falls, backwards, out of the darkness, away from the grinding maelstrom, faster and faster...

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath goes from surprise to shock to jumping for cover as what looks like a twisted Ian does his thing.

'What in the nine hells is going on here?!' Saath yells as the lightning stops.
Then, as Ian fades away; 'Pike! The portal key!' He runs toward Ian and quickly searches his body for his bag of holding.

Should Saath find it, he will look inside for the documents Chardh gave as well as the portal key.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath easily finds what he was looking for, and while Ian's body and other equipment slowly fades away, the items Saath took out of the bag suddenly become material again in his hands.

Then, Ian is gone... while at the point where Blackthornes was, a shadowy silhouette appears, turning more and more material, until Blackthornes lies on the floor, unconsciously.

[ OOC: @Blackthornes: As soon as you're back, you can let your character wake up! ]

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

" Oy wake up Blackthornes"

Encharma will shake blackthornes

"What happened?"

Encharma will continue to shake him until he comes to

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Right,' Saath says as the key and documents become solid again. He puts them in his own bag.

'Let's just do what we came here for and get out quickly.'
Saath looks for a balcony or a window through which he can see the tower with the portal.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the others look for the tower, Azure remains on guard for any sign of their time-controling nemisis.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath quickly realizes the only way to look outside is the dome-like glass ceiling. It should be easy climbing up one of the trees at the walls, though, to reach the ceiling and look through it.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Just as soon as black thornes posts i will stop the shaking and walk to where Saath is to try to help him in the climbing of the trees to look around

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Climb check: 20 + 3 = 23
Is there a part of the dome with a hole in it? If there is, Saath will climb up there.

Up the tree Saath goes!

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes wakes up, though, is not entirely sure what happened. A bit shaken*
"what happened? Were are we?"

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"We're in the palace, still looking for the tower. This plane will consume us all, one by one, if we do not find it soon."

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Encharma looks around and realizes that no one really needs him right now, except maybe black thornes

"Blackthornes are you injured?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes gets up and dusts himself off. Chuckling lightly to himself*
" No more then I was before I started this friend."
* Blackthornes looks for Ian*
"were is that Blasted half-elf? His dark form is the last thing I remebered before I passed out."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Gone, it seems", is Naruk's answer. His voice is dark, and the ex-Guvner seems angry. "Azure is right, we need to get out of here quickly. We have lost too many friends already."

Climbing up the trees, Saath quickly gets to a point from which he can see the surrounding landscape. Everything is wreathed in mist; somewhere to the right, Saath sees a large wall reaching out of the mist, with the city of ruins behind it. Dark figures are hovering in the sky, shooting crimson lightning bolts into the city.
In the opposite direction, the landscape turns into hills and, farther away, mountains. The closest hill barely reaching out of the mist is maybe a mile away - and has a tower on its top. Blue sparks of lightning crawl over its massive walls like elemental snakes.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Saath, do you see it? Can you spy out any of the ground between us and the tower?" Azure tries not to speak too loudly, for he does not trust that no more enemies are about.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at Naruk*
"But what about the portal key and Charhd's documents? Ian has them still, doesn't he? We are gonna need those to get through the portal."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Saath managed to get them just before Ian completely vanished. Ian... and the Masked Gnoll. Say... what exactly happened? You vanished, too - where did you go? How did you come back?"

[OOC: @Blackthornes: I leave it up to you to decide how much your character remembers]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes strokes his chin*
"Hmm....Well, everything went dark, and I was just kinda floating...Then that Cat guy told me to follow my heart and I woke up on the ground. It's all a bit confusing."

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Yeah, I see the tower.' Saath replies. 'The burg we came from is that way,' points to his right, 'the tower is that way.' points to his left. 'It's not far, a mile or so from here atop the nearest hill. It stands completely clear of the mist. Looks like we can just go in the direction we were travellin' and get to the tower within the hour.'
Saath climbs down.

'Looks like the burg is still under attack by the 'ri. I wonder what they're fightin' '

'Oh, hey, 'Thornes has come to! How're you feelin', ready to go up against Xanarox?' Saath grins.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Hrm, my druthers would be not to run into this chronomantic foe of thine t'all. The chances of that are slipping away the longer we delay here."

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
oh here it goes

"well is anyone injured, before we continue this trek?"

Encharma will Stand up and idley look around

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Im fine as far as I know. Unles that little float in wherever messed with something. Nothing noticeable."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk nods. "Fine. Then we should get going. Unless anyone has an idea on how we could get Ian and the Masked Gnoll back..?"

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Ian is a shadow-walker of some sort, yes? It may be optimistic to think he and the masked warrior may still be able to follow us, whatever trouble he's having jumping in and out of shadows in this realm, but I prefer optimism, for the loss of hope is perhaps the most insidious danger of this place. Therefore I say we press on, for if optimism bears fruit, Ian may yet return, while the grimmer accounting is simply that we can render him no aid, and must press on nonetheless."

Azure tries organize the group in such a way that they are strung out in a line, where each person can see the one in front of them through the fog. The more suited to stealth, himself and blackthornes, should be on point and last, respectively. The order of the others matters less, but he desires Naruk to be closest to himself in the front, as he seems the most experienced.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: What the...? I posted something about a week ago, but obviously something went wrong... I'll repost this weekend!]

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC i believethat it is quite apparant we need a party leader

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I think Azure tried to take the reigns, but, i dont think it worked out. Are we moving now, or not?

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: We're moving. Probably. Still waiting on joybloods reply on what happens next.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: BIG sorry for another delay. I was hit by a heavy influenca and was incapable of sitting in front of my computer for even a single minute. I'm recovering now, though, and will post again hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience, everybody. I hope I don't make the impression I've lost interest in the game or something, I'm really still passionately involved - and would have posted already if health had allowed it...]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The group, somewhat shattered after the recent events, silently leaves the tree-palace and heads out into the mist again. It becomes thicker as the planewalkers head to the Sigilian tower, and soon it's impossible to see your hand with your arm stretched out.

Finally, they reach a point that Azure remembers: A large stone sword, the blade alone double the size of a human man (or so you guess, as the sword's hilt is covered by the mist), is stuck in the earth. From here, Azure knows, the Sigil tower is no more than twenty yards away.

The sound of crackling lightning shows the direction of your goal.

[OOC: Finally, I've recovered from what was one of the heaviest influencas I ever had. I can only say sorry once more for letting you wait so long, but I was simply incapable of focussing enough on the story to continue. I hope you're still all around and motivated - I am!]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"So, Azure, you know the path to this tower, correct? are we getting there, are are we still wondering through this nothing? I'd like to get the job done as fast as we can, if nobody else minds leaving this sodding hole of course."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Quote:
A large stone sword, the blade alone double the size of a human man (or so you guess, as the sword's hilt is covered by the mist), is stuck in the earth. From here, Azure knows, the Sigil tower is no more than twenty yards away.
The group clusters together around the sword, and Azure gestures to indicate the lightning hitting the still unseen tower close by. He does not bother trying to shout into the cacophany, but instead uses gestures.

:arrow: :Blackthornes: :shock: :Gestures around the ground then closes his hands like a trap:

:arrow: :Saath: :arrow: :Encharma: :shock: :Gestures into the air and makes a flapping bird with his hands:

:arrow: :Naruk: :comeHere: :shock: :Indicates his back:

He then cautiously moves toward the tower, looking out for any traps or signs of an ambush.

9 Bonus for search to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 28.
12 Bonus for spot & listen to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 31.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 24.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Azure slowly moves towards the tower, he can hear a voice not far ahead. When he's about ten yards away, he has come close enough to - barely - understand the words that are spoken.

"You know," the voice says, "if I had a choice, I'd just build up my own realm, and live there for eternity without caring about gaining ever more power, and without wasting my time with troublemakers. All I really want is total freedom through total power. Unfortunately, I know enough of Abyssal history to know it just doesn't work that way. Even if you ever get there, some day someone's coming and destroying it all. It's such a waste, really."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes gives azure a thumbs up and starts searching the ground for traps.*

11 Bonus for search to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 24.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Blackthornes finds no sign of a trap. As he slowly follows Azure, scanning the ground, he notices a voice not too far away - a voice he recognizes: Xanarox.

From the distance, he only understands a few words, but somehow they give him a feeling of deja-vu:

"...know... my own realm... eternity without caring... wasting my time with troublemakers... total power... know it just...coming and destroying... really."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Well, Azure thinks aloud to "Mani", at least it sounds like this Xanarox has no particular enthusiasm towards destroying us, but is just doing his job. Of couse he also sounds like an egotistical, evil bastard. Wonder if an arrow in the eye'd do him? Unlikely, and I'd have to get close enough to see him, which means he'd see me, plus there's whoever he's talking to. Hmm, now how do we get past him without being spotted ... ?

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.