This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

I think an arrow in the eye would probably get you in the dead-book quicker than him, Mani replies to Azure. But... I feel something about this scene... a connection to Blackthornes and Ian. Maybe they...

All of a sudden, Mani has fallen silent.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath looks up at the sky. Sod this, he thinks. If I saw a 'ri it would be too late already. I can barely see my own hands in this fog.
Instead, Saath keeps his ears open and looks with minor interest at what the rest is doing.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Once more, Saath feels a sudden pull... and finds himself standing close to Naruk. He hears a voice maybe ten yards ahead, and recognizes it as that of Xanarox. He can't understand the words, though.

He realizes he is in the body of Azure... and, for the first time, he not only sees and hears what Azure does, he even observes his thoughts.

Thoughts of betrayal.

Azure knows of the people Saath couldn't protect, and he is on a mission to punish the tiefling. Inside the tower, Saath reads from Azure's thoughts, a group of monks is waiting for him.

What about the rest of the group? Do they know about the plans?

Just as he tries to poke deeper into Azure's mind, he finds himself pulled back in his own body.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Suddenly, Blackthornes has a taste of blood in his mouth. And strangely... it tastes good. In a mental flash, he sees himself cutting Azure's throat, and drinking his blood. Yes, it is disgusting, but it gives power to him... a power strong enough that he will be able to defeat Xanarox.

A strange fire burns up in Blackthornes' heart, and he feels some hidden part of his nature has just woken up.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'joyblood' wrote:
I think an arrow in the eye would probably get you in the dead-book quicker than him, Mani replies to Azure. But... I feel something about this scene... a connection to Blackthornes and Ian. Maybe they...

All of a sudden, Mani has fallen silent.

~They?

Azure tries to make sure the voice is a good distance to his left as he creeps slowly closer to the tower. He points to his ear and makes an X with his arms, then points into the fog in the direction of the voice.

Then as he sidesteps toward the tower, still on the lookout for traps, runes, or other magical traps, he beckons the others to follow.

10 Bonus for hide & Silent M to do
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 17.
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 28.
Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

After this realization Saath is lost in thought for a while.
Pike it! How did they find me? I can't believe this! What to do?

Hey, kitty-cat. You said there's a connection between you and the... voices in the other's brainboxes. What d'you know about Azure's... intentions?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

For some reason, Mani doesn't finish his sentence. Naruk, who follows Azure closely, nods as he sees Azure's gestures, and turns back to see where the rest of the group is.

Saath's question stay unanswered - Cat simply doesn't react to his thoughts.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Is venjr / Encharma still around?]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: With Ian and the Masked Gnoll mysteriously disappearing, the group has shrunk to four. Of course, I still hope for their return, but in case not: What do you think about "hiring" one or two new players?

@Blackthornes: You got a PM!
]

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Sounds good to me
Move silently: 9+15= 24

Saath silently follows the rest.
What's going on...? The cat's no help either then. Hang on, hang on... I was only in Sigil for a blink and never left the Torch before popping in here. The monks couldn't have known where I was going.
Something's not right.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

what does that symbol that azure gave to me mean? does he want o me to fly, i dont think i can fly.

Encharma looks at Azure quizzically and just gets ready for what may come up ahead

OOC: by the way sorry about that i have been really sick but i pretty much all better now

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes thinks of this vile deed for a minute, thinking of his past. Then he has a relization.*
No. I cant do it.Im trying to change, not go back. I want to help and heal, not kill ruthlessly. I will not do it. I will not stoop to the levels of my heritage.
*Blackthornes will quietly move toward azures position, and talk with the elf*
"Azure. the voice up ahead is Xanarox. Now, you need to listen very closely. He can and will kill all of us with no remorse. He knows our intentions. We must not let him do this. We need to get around him. Either distract him or something. I may be able to talk to him. I was given some insight into his mind earlier in a vision. Perhaps I could reason with him at least long enough to get the rest of you by, and then make my escape shortly afterward. And, I would also like to point out that I think he is trying to get us to turn on each other. I just had a nasty vision of slitting your throat, and, I know it didn't come from my own mind. We need to avoid him and get into the building."

22 Bonus for move silently to do
I rolled 1d20+22, the result is 34.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Joyblood, do you think you can give me a run down of what Xanarox said. I cant find the thread, and I dont know if I remember it correctly. Just like a little summary.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Blackthornes: The part of the vision where you encountered Xanarox begins here:

/forum

Also, note that you're barely ten yards away from Xanarox. It's possible he hears you if you talk to Azure. I leave it to you whether you want to change your post, or stick to talking to Azure trying to be extremely silent (I'd allow a Move Silently roll here).

@venjr: Having been heavily sick myself recently, I perfectly understand it. Glad you feel better now, and that you're back!

@Everybody: While Blackthornes is the only group member remaining of the original group in Part I, some of you might have read the thread and noticed the disappearance of Ophelia Whispers (player nick and character name). She said she'd have a back surgery, and afterwards we never heard from her again. It worried pretty much everyone in the group.

Well, there's great news: I received a mail from her today! She said that she had another three surgeries after the first one, and there might still be another one ahead. She can't sit in front of the computer for long because her back still hurts very much, but she misses the game - and the players - a lot. She told me to pass on her regards to everyone in the game!
]

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Sweet! I'm glad she's doing well Laughing out loud

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I did roll move silently, maybe you didnt notice it? and yay! I hope Ophelia can get back in.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Yes, you're right - sorry! I'll post again this evening.

As for Ophelia, I assume she won't get back in before her back isn't better. But I'm going to reply to her mail today, and I'll definitely make sure she's still welcome.]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[Yay! Ophelia Whispers! Nice to know she's OK]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Master", a new, creaky voice appears. "We should go inside. I am convinced those planewalkers are no match for us... or for you, that is. But who knows what else travels these areas. Inside, we have all the advantages on our side. Here, we do have vulnerabilities."

A few seconds pass, then Xanarox speaks again. "I thought I heard something. Damned fog..."

Another few seconds later, Xanarox replies to the other speaker. "Vulnerabilities. You powermongers are all alike. I wouldn't mind having an enemy who is a match for me, once only. All those missions bore me so much. Go inside."

For the first time, everyone in the group can clearly understand Xanarox. With the fog playing tricks with your senses, it takes a moment before you understand the reason of this change: Xanarox has come closer. He is no more than five yards away now.

As all this takes place, Saath feels a movement behind his back. He turns around, but all he sees is the fog moving in small whirls. Or... was that a monk's robe just disappearing?

While observing what is happening, Encharma suddenly feels a strange tickling in his head... no, in his mind. Something is looking into him. Scanning him. As from an infinite distance, he hears a whispering voice...
Your name. I want your name! I can see it... almost have it... the name of your true nature. Be my slave...

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

no, no not again

Encharma will grab his head and i will roll a will save to get that out of my head

get out of my head!

19 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+19, the result is 39.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Encharma focusses on locking the voice out of his mind - but whoever attacks him, seems to be very powerful.

Come closer..., the voice continues, come into the tower... I will slice your mind and soul into a thousand pieces, and build the perfect slave from that. Come, slave, come...

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes goes to Naruk and Azure.*
"What I know is only a piece of the information that Ian and I found out through our investigations. Ian's findings may be more pivotal then my own, but, mine will help us when we are in the tower at least. Do you two have any suggestions as of what to do now?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Blackthornes: Umm.. Encharma hears the voice in his mind. So Blackthornes has no idea about it.]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC - Yea, and Xanrarox is, like, ten feet away now. If anyone does look like they are about to talk out loud, Azure will try to put his hand over their mouth to prevent it!]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Blackthornes?

@Everyone else: In case Blackthornes doesn't reply within the next 24 hours, we'll just assume his character hasn't said anything and go on with the story, okay?]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'K

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I changed it, sorry for that. I thought he yelled get out of my head out loud. my badd.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC:

Quote:
If anyone does look like they are about to talk out loud, Azure will try to put his hand over their mouth to prevent it!

If Azure wants to try this, I'll allow either a Sleight of Hand or a Dexterity Check, against DC 13, to react before Blackthornes even begins speaking.

If Blackthornes wants to avoid having his mouth shut, he can do so with a Dexterity check of his own. In that case, Blackthornes' check result is the DC against which Azure has to succeed, with a minimum of 10.

]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[Dex Check]

4 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 11.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: He can dowhat he wants, i wont try to prevent it. I doubt Xanarox is just gonna walk at us anyways. We are gonna get some kind of warning, eventually.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Wha-" Blackthornes begins to speak, just as Azure puts his hand over the rogue's mouth.

Just at the same moment, the creaky voice asks, obviously unsure what to do, "Master?"

Another long moment passes, before Xanarox replies. "Go inside, I said. I'll follow in a minute."

Something just isn't right, Blackthornes notices. He has heard these exact words in the vision dream he had, but this time, Xanarox sounds... amused.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes thinks to himself, and cant understand what to do.*
Oh, powers be damned, what in the hells am I going to do now? Ahh, this is complete stupidity. Why did I agree to hunt down a damn Chronomancer? Damn this mission, and damn Charrd for his ignorance. Xanarox is going to kill all of us with one swoop of his mind........I've got to try something. I just want to get these guys and myself out of the cursed abyss. Maybe he is kin to dragons and likes a good talk once in a while. Anything is worth a shot.
*Blackthornes will begin to walk towards the voice of Xanarox without an attempt to be silent, signaling back for the rest of the group to stay were they are.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes walks towards Xanarox, Naruk's eyes go wide, and he tries to grab the rogue at his shoulder - a moment too late.

Blackthornes disappears in the fog for the rest of the group; a few steps later, he sees Xanarox in front of him. The young man - or, at least, that is his outer appearance - has his eyes closed, and a light thunder can be heard in the distance. Then, he opens his eyes, noticing Blackthornes. A wide smile appears on his face.

"You? What an interesting turn of events."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes hides his obvious fear of the man, and calmly begins to speak to him.*
"You were waiting for me? I should have figured as much. Anyone with your resources and skills wouldn't be so easily approached. So, you plan to kill me then, and my party that follows shortly behind? Of course, such a minor task would be nothing to your skills."

17 Bonus for Diplomacy to do
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 22.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Xanarox' smile gets even wider. "And you assume this is a good point to start our talk because... you listened to my talk with the lich? But yes, you are right - I am bored by my tasks. Unfortunately, I have to fulfill them, nevertheless."

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: is that thing still in my head? Because if so i am still fighting it with everything i got, if not i am going to ready an action

there is something afoot

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Encharma still feels the presence, although it seems a bit weakened right now.]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes speaks to Xanarox again*
"Would you be willing to avoid this said group of adventurers? For the right price of course...."

17 Bonus for Diplomacy to do
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 34.
Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure will fire a few arrows into the air at a high arc. His bow is completely silent, whereas he hopes to make the falling arrows sound like regular footfalls a fwe yards to the other side of where he hears Blackthorne's and Xanarox's voices. Once the arrows start landing, he tries to silently move towards the tower.

13 Bonus for trick shot (att to do
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 32.
10 Bonus for move silently to do
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 14.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Sorry for another late reply - influenca struck again. I need some treatment at a health resort... Sticking out tongue ]

Xanarox laughs out as Blackthornes makes his proposal. "And what would your little group have to offer to the youngest son of Juiblex?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"That we will drop our silly quest, and, do some service to you."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Hmmm." Xanarox ponders, then replies, "My father asked me to slay every single member of your group. I wonder what Lord Juiblex would say if I told him: Sorry, I haven't done what you requested, but the poor mortals offered me to drop their quest and do some service for me. I'm afraid he wouldn't be too pleased."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: The rest of the group is short before the tower doors. Are you going to enter the tower, or what are your actions?]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes calms himself in the face of such overwhelming defeat, and decides to change the subject*
"Jublex? I am afraid i am not familiar with that Demon prince. What is his pantheon?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Oh, he is the master of slimes and oozes and all that. Pretty disgusting, if you ask me. I'm always glad not to be in my father's realm. So, what did you hope for when you approached me? Talking the son of a demon prince into being a nice boy?"

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath looks at Azure and Naruk while tentatively reaching for the doors. Unless they object Saath will open the door.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azur, too, will try to head into the tower. He can only hope that Blackthornes knows what he's doing ...

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Saath reaches out for the iron door pull, the door moves by itself, silently opening and giving free sight into a dark corridor, four yards wide, built from dark red bricks, each one half the size of a human. The mist that almost blinds anyone outside, suddenly stops at the door entrance, so there is finally a free line of sight again.

The corridor leads another ten yards straight ahead, then ends in another corridor, like in a T-shape. At about half the way, a single wooden door is built into the left wall.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"i have not been in this party long, and what i am about to propose is up to you guys but i do not think we should leave a man behind"

Encharma is obviously kinda scared by this proposition

While he is saying this Encharma looks around at the party

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at the Chronomancer and does his best to ignore his friends moving into the tower.*
"Good boy? I wouldn't dream of that. I had hoped we could reach some arrangement. i personally do not feel like fighting a demon prince, or his son. I wouldn't have a chance if it came down to that."
*Blackthornes changes the subject*
"Is this your tower?"

17 Bonus for Diplomacy to do
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 26.
Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.