This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ignoring Blackthornes' last question, Xanarox nods as if in deep thought. "So, you're somewhat realistic, at least. Only you should've thought more about what kind of arrangement you wanted to offer. Now, I think I kind of like you. Of course, that wouldn't stop me from ripping out your soul and feeding it to my liches, but maybe you and your friends, which currently attempt to secretly enter the tower without me noticing it, can offer me some amusement, at least."

He ponders for a moment, then continues. "I tell you what. I'll accompany you and your group through the tower. I'll come along hidden, so my liches won't notice me. I won't do any harm to your group, but I won't stop my liches from doing so. If you make it to the time portal, I'll reconsider whether I slay all of you, eat your souls, let you go freely, or do whatever else I feel like doing."

Before Blackthornes can answer, he adds: "Oh, only one thing. My liches have to survive. Father always gets angry when I destroy his gifts."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes nods his approval*
"Alright. I'll go tell the group."
*Blackthornes runs to the party and will stop them from going in blindly, as they already are.*
"Well, I have made a deal with our antagonist. He wishes to secretly accompany us to the time portal, and see how well we fair against his liches, if they detect us. It's some kind of game I think, but, no matter. I doubt we can trust him, he is the son of a demon prince after all. Though, this is our only chance of getting out of here. Let us go. I think I know were the portal lies, or at least something else that can aid us."

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"no i think this is very bad choice, very bad this is the guy you are all afraid of and you think that we should just trust him not to attack us when we are not paying attention? i do not think we should let him follow us"

encharma looks around and hopefully gets sight ofthis chrono mancer that has only caused us pain and displeasure

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes sighs*
"Encharma, I didn't say I trusted him. You are being childish. This is the closest thing to getting all of us outa here alive that I could muster out of the man. I may be good at talking, but Im no diplomat, and this guy is the son if a demon prince. It's either this or most of us die trying to get out of here."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Awww, but only the youngest son."

Out of the mist comes a seemingly young man of about sixteen years, wearing a fine, but not outstanding, brown leather armour. While he is in no way ugly, he's also not a beauty; most probably, this is the most common man you've ever seen.

He takes a look at the group and gives everyone a slight smile. "Hello, I am Xanarox. So, we enter the tower and I watch you trying not to die? I already cast a spell so my liches won't notice me."

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Lady's Grace to ye, cutter!' Saath greets Xanarox, with the cheeriness of the slightly barmy, 'Welcome to our merry little band of the damned, thanking ye kindly for not ending our existence. I do hope you enjoy our bumbling efforts to not get penned in the deadbook.'

''Thornes, trapfindin' duty. And yell if a group of robed monks jump out at you.' His tone harsh with anger now.
'Don't see how that would make things worse, though.' Saath mutters under his breath.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

encharma looks angrily at the fool who is talking to him

"no you are trusting him, maybe not out right but you are trusting him you are trusting the fact that he wont just decide to kill us soon as we cross that thresh hold"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks dead at encharma as if he will kill him were he stands.*
"Pike it you fool! this is our best shot at getting off this blasted plane! I will not let you ruin it with your stupid attempts at being a hero!"
*Blackthornes cools off slightly and speaks to the rest of the group.*
" I think I know were to go. Follow my lead quitely. If there are any objections, please, feel free to stand out here and rot."
*Blackthornes will walk through the tower door, slowly and quietly heading towards the door straight infront of him, being careful to look for traps on his way*

24 Bonus for hide to do
I rolled 1d20+24, the result is 38.
22 Bonus for move silently to do
I rolled 1d20+22, the result is 26.
11 Bonus for search to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 28.
venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

before blackthornes gets achance to walk away encharma will make a grab for his arm (grapple i do believe? and i got a 26) (or if it is a touch attack i got a 24)

"i am not trying to be a hero i am trying to use my head something you should a little more often you foolhardy piker. oh and while i am at it do not even begin to think you can boss me around because not only am i more intelligent than you but i will wipe the floor with you any day of the week. Now the point i was trying to get at was maybe we should input on what it is we should do, before we listen to this sorry excuse for a rogue."

Encharma looks around at the rest of the party

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Funny", Xanarox states, "open internal fighting. Haven't seen this in decades."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*blackthornes will just look at Encharma incredulously, and speak to him as if speak to a child*
"Now, listen. We found you here. We didn't bring you along. I'm sure that if it came to blows, the original group would like nothing more to take you down. We trust you very little more then we trust the chronomancer. I have more insight into this situation then you could hope to have. Calling me "a sorry excuse for a rogue" is going to do little help getting us out of here."
*Blackthornes looks to Naruk when he cant break free of Encharma's hold*
"Can you help get this bumbling idiot off of me?"

12 Bonus for opposed grapple to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 21.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: who's still with us? I see that Saath and Venjr are still posting, but what about azure?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk, who has gone pale in his face since Xanarox arrived, nods. "If necessary, yes. But I would prefer we solve this quarrel before we enter the tower. There'll be enough surprises for us inside, I don't want any trouble between group members while we have to face more pressing dangers."

Xanarox frowns as Naruk speaks. "Guvner, right? Boring, fun-killing, guvners. Never liked these guys."

Naruk seems to become even more nervous after Xanarox' words, looking to Saath for help.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath rubs his temples. 'Encharma, what would you propose we do then? Attack while he's standing right there? That's barmy and suicidal. Not enter the tower now? Don't think our good friend here will let us walk away so easily. I only see goin' into the tower as an option. Sure, he might turn on us along the way, but he also might not. Ya never know with a 'ri. So the best chances of us not meeting our respective deities of choice would be to enter the tower and start making plans to take down the liches instead of arguing here wasting precious time.'

'Unless anyone has a better idea ofcourse...'

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Xanarox, who is obviously amused by the situation, adds, "Just as a piece of sugar information, if I decide to kill you, I might also decide to devour your souls or feed them to my liches, in which case you wouldn't even end up with your deities. But, don't think I'm just a common unpredictable balor or something. I tend to keep my word."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'blackthornes' wrote:
OOC: who's still with us? I see that Saath and Venjr are still posting, but what about azure?
Hiya.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"This arguement is pointless. We were all doomed the moment we set foot in this realm, but yet we few still live. I plan on staying that way as long as possible, to the best of my ability, though I hold out little hope for the rest of thee. I could comment at length about the irony of the losalfar calling someone else a fool, but what is done is done. At least now our horrid deaths will provide some small ammusement to our foe, instead of remaining ignoble and annonymous." Azure scoffs.

Quote:
Xanarox, who is obviously amused by the situation, adds, "Just as a piece of sugar information, if I decide to kill you, I might also decide to devour your souls or feed them to my liches, in which case you wouldn't even end up with your deities. But, don't think I'm just a common unpredictable balor or something. I tend to keep my word."

"I suspected as much. Well, may you find my soul gamey and unpalatable, demon." Azure bows politely in contrast to his words.

venjr's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-03-31
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"i'm not proposing we do not go into the tower, and i am also not proposing that we fight this chronomancer here and now, but what i am proposing is that we go in to the tower with a little forethought instead of storming of like a little child"
encharma glares at blackthornes
"i also dont think we should do everything this fool says or does. oh and one more thing if you dont think you can trust me then have you not confronted me about it? or are we just playing games here?"
encharma looks around
"i know that i haven't been with all of you long, but how about some benefit of the doubt? i have yet to actually fight any of you , well except this idiot"
points to blackthornes
"but like i just said we should plan this whole thing out before we just go rushing in to this tower"

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I think I at least have made it abundantly clear, day-elf, that I have never trusted thee. Then again, trust is entirely a fool's game in Demonholme. Thus I cannot disagree with thee on one particular; we should not rush into the tower like a plundering horde."

Azure then turns to Blackthornes, "Blackthornes, if thee have insights as thee claim, please share them. I would know what lies in wait for us. There are the liches, which are a daunting prospect themselves. I have no special fear of the undead, but neither am I inclined to underestimate a foe. Still, I count it better that their master is now poised to stab us in the back than aiding them. I'd rather watch my back than not know what to watch."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes scoffs at Encharma, and nods his agreement with Azure.*
"I meant exactly what she said you fool. Why should I trust someone I met in this place? Do you really trust us? If you do, you are more fool hearted then I thought."
*Blackthornes turns to Azure.*
"I was trying to keep this little snippet of information away from anybody that I couldn't trust upfront...."
*Blackthornes looks at Encharma, Xanarox, and even Azure.*
"...But now I don't think I can keep it any longer. When Ian and I went on that vision quest, I discovered a direct path to something in the tower that may help us. It seemed to be either the portal that we seek, or the heart of the tower itself. Whatever it was, it was sentient and extremely powerful. It could sense my presence even when the liches could not. I talked with it briefly and I think it can and will help us. Since we don't know what Ian saw, I think my path is the only safe one we can take at the moment..... there were no traps on the way down, but, that doesn't mean there won't be some now."
*With these last words, Blackthornes glares at Azure and Encharma.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes speaks of the sentient being he and the direct path to the tower's heart, Xanarox turns entirely silent, and thoughtful. He seems to be quite surprised by the information Blackthornes just gave.

Naruk, on the other hand, seems to be entirely overstrained with the current situation, the ex-Guvner obviously not a master of handling such social situations.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at Naruk, and speaks to him*
"Naruk, are you alright? You look as tho you've seen a ghost."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"No," Naruk answers nervously, "just the son of an ancient tanar'ri prince, out to annihilate our group and most obviously not a friend of Guvners or ex-Guvners like myself. I hate to say so, but right now, I'm terrified."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes chuckles, even in the face of such odds*
"I know what you mean. Though, I seem to be having the opposite reaction. The smallest sign of a chance is still a chance."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Hello? were is everybody?

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure Twilight narrows his eyes and looks Xanarox up and down, getting every detail. He then turns to Blackthornes, "We will take point, I and thee. I fully expect to be stabbed in the back, but I think 'twould be best to watch yours, and vice versa. Come." He inspects his bowstring, and knotches an arrow before moving forward into the tower.

"I have an idea." He whispers to Blackthornes. The voice is not his, however, but that of Xanarox. The Bow turns invisible, and his form morphs to match that of the chronomancer. "I doubt such a ruse as this will give us more than a second or two, but that may be all the edge we need. Fie, that I spent my best arrows in Androlyne. Berk am I."

[ooc - using Loki Ring]

10 Bonus for use magic item to do
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 12.
12 Bonus for Spot & Listen to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 29.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 25.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at the newly shaped Azure, following closely behind*
"what is your plan?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Yay! Planewalker is back Smiling ]

Xanarox, observing the new shape of Azure, chuckles lightly. "Interesting. I'm waiting to see how long the liches need to understand that. But I hope you know that, if I were in a different mood, this affront could have been your death."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Indeed, and I do hope that I'll have several more chances to insult thee, demon." Azure says with a smile, using Xanarox's own voice. He turns to Blackthornes, "I considered trying to order the liches away, but with two masters before them, I doubt that will work very well. Still, a pair of masters giving conflicting orders may make them delay with indecision, or at least delay in order to cast a spell to penetrate my glamour. I suggest we be ready to act."

'Xanarox' then gets a thoughtful look as he considers something. "I wonder how much the lichs' undead minds understand chronomancy. I admit I have little clue myself, but perhaps the clueless can misguide the brain-dead. I'll try to pass myself off as a 'future' Xanarox, returned to observe his past. It might not work, though, so get ready to use any hesitation on the lichs' part to our advantage."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk shakes his head as Azure explains his plan. "Xanarox said he did something that the liches won't notice his presence. Of course, that might be a lie," - he stops and looks at the 'real' Xanarox, who doesn't show any reaction - "but in case he did not, the liches will only see one Xanarox. That still might be..."

Azure almost doesn't notice the rest of what Naruk says ("...a good way to trick them long enough to get to where we need to go."), as suddenly the air flashes in a silvery light, and out of nothing, a creature appears before him. Only Azure can see the strong young man, his legs covered in fur, his hooves pitch black, and his enormous forehead showing two large red curved horns. He is naked, only covered by the light brown fur on his legs and his wild and long hair, which is as black as his hooves and almost reaches down to them. His green eyes are as striking as shimmering gems.

"I'm sorry," he says with a dark, but friendly voice, "I'm late, the silver tunnels were packed with people today. So where are w- Xanarox! Of all the creatures in the multiverse, he must come close to my Loki ring! No wonder my poor little pet called me."

He turns to Azure, giving him a critical look. "So, what trouble did you get yourself into? Oh, of course, you shouldn't show Xanarox you can see me, so you need to use your brain box a bit, talking to me without making Xanarox wonder what you're babbling. I'm glad he's not a real mind reader. He'd be quite angry if he knew a proxy of Loki's around."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure - Xanarox moves deeper into the tower, seeking central chambers. Though he carries himself to mimic the real chronomancer as best he can, in reality he is keeping alet, hoping to spot the undead foes before being spotted, and keeping a warry eye out for traps and glyphs.

He seems to mutter to himself, and a few times makes eye contact with the apparition claiming to be a proxy of Loki, "Bloody tricks. Bloody tricksters. Tricky bloods. Gotta be a tricky blood if I'm gonna get out of here. Tricked here by a bloody trickster. Heh, tricky blood. Bleed 'im if I ever see 'im again. Gotta trick 'em. How do I trick em? Trick 'em with the truth every time, blood."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes puts a hand on 'Xanarox's' shoulder*
"I think we should go to the area i indicated before. Who knows what nasties may await us here. Just follow my lead."
*Blackthornes will head for the door directly infront of the main door, the same one he took on his vision quest.*

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Where is everybody? its been over two weeks sense anyone has posted? is anyone still here??

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc - I'm here, been waiting for our DM to post]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Goddamnit - I *had* sent a post a couple days ago. Didn't check whether everything went right, seems like I should have. I'm having strange problems like that on other websites, too. *scratches head*

Okay, sorry for the wait, people, I'm re-posting within the next 24 hours!]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Heading farther into the dark corridor, an eerie feeling crawls up everyone's neck. When Blackthornes reaches the door, he realizes the door knob is as cold as ice.

From somewhere in the depths of the building, a muffled cry can be heard - possibly a child, a young woman, or... something else.

Observing the rogue, Xanarox smiles. "Whatever you do, you should do it fast. The liches have just realized you entered the tower. Bad, bad magic, eh?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at the real Xanarox, and nods his approval.*
"You said they wont be able to detect you right? Well, I've got a plan then."
*Blackthornes turns to Azure*
"We are going to head down here. If we run into the Liches, and if what this Chronomancer said is true, then I think we should pretend that you have taken us prisoner, and are escorting us to the bottom of the tower for interrogation or something. If they fall for it, then we might just have a chance. I hope your a good story teller...."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"So," the proxy-apparition speaks to Azure, "you've been tricked here, and now Xanarox is playing games with you, looking whether his pet liches will slay you or you can escape the undead brickheads. And this place is stuffed with magical traps, if I guess right. Seems like you are in some real piece of trouble, boy."

Taking a look at the rest of the group, the proxy continues, "Well, you might just have a chance. The liches won't be able to see through the ring's magic as long as I'm around, so you might be able to convince them you're for real. Just tell the liches you've made a few trips to the past, and turned each group member into a servant of yours. They'll be mad like modrons, but if you play it right, you stand a good chance of getting through with that. Always remember, you're their master, and while you serve Juiblex well, you've got the heart of a rebel. If only you weren't addicted."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Addicted?" Azure thinks, knowing not to voice his question aloud, "addicted to what, I wonder? Still, I'm not so much a fool to take a proxy of Loki 100% at his word..."

To Blackthornes he replies in Xanarox's voice, "A lie that contains a mote of truth is always better, and I am fairly confident the liches won't see through my glamour. I just wish I knew more about chronomancy to make a more convincing play. Still, I doubt the Liches themselves know Xanarox's full powers, so I think I can make some guesses that will ring true."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes nods to Azure and speaks to him*
"Alright. That should work. I hope. Best continue on our downward decent."
*Blackthornes will search the door to make sure there are no traps*

11 Bonus for search to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 19.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Oh, you can bet even my father doesn't know the full extent of my powers. But I'm afraid you can be pretty sure the liches will look through your disguise quicker than the Lady can slay a praying man. And if not, we really need to talk. If you survive."

As Xanarox says his last sentences, the proxy's eyes go wide, and he speaks some curses in an unknown language. "You should quickly come up with a good explanation, or else your Loki ring will be lost, and we both don't want that."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Taking the time to search for traps, the only thing that Blackthornes can find out is that the door knob is ice cold because something behind the door seems to be cold. Besides that, the rogue can't find any trap.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will put his ear up to the door and see if he can hear anything behind it*

17 Bonus for listen to do
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 32.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

A low, whirling sound can be heard by pressing one's ear against the door.

Meanwhile, Naruk's eyes go wide as he looks down the corridor. "I think I heard steps coming closer", he whispers nervously.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will open the door and start to decend the stairs*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes opens the door, what he sees is not what he remembers from his vision. In a cubic room with merely a single door on the opposite side, a strange creature floats in mid-air: The upper half is an ice-blue humanoid being, but where the legs should be, there is merely a whirling miniature tornado.

The muscular creature raises its sharp claws, and stares at you with a hateful grin. But before it can attack, the room suddenly shakes - and quickly moves downwards. You barely see the creature's surprised face before it is replaced by a massive wall, which then, as it moves further downward, gives place for another corridor.

The corridor is dark, and after a few yards, end in a staircase that leads steeply downward.

The footsteps are closing in, and will probably reach the corridor that the group is in now in a few seconds.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure will do his best to imitate Xanarox's arrogant stance.

4 Bonus for bluff to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 12.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes stops were he is, thinks to himself*
"I hope Azure can pull this off. if not we may be in a bit of trouble"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: So, you wait for whoever - or whatever - comes around, instead of heading downwards the staircare?]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc - well, since you put it that way, moving forward seems like the better idea]

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.