This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian brings his Rapier around, and tries to bring it back to his hand, passing through as many Vrocks as possible.

If he has time, Ian will attempt to flank the vrocks attacking Saath.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Ian: I know this isn't a "regular" attack you're doing there, but please make an attack roll nevertheless.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Fair enough.

Almost an attack roll: 12 + 12 = 24
And, just in case, damage: 1d6 + 6 = 7

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian hits another one of the vrocks circling Saath, and the tanar'ri vanishes as so many before him - without even a scream of pain or anything like that.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk raises his hand, and points his finger at one of the vrocks attacking Rex. He mumbles a command word, and a ray of fire burns the air - and hits a vrock.

The creature's feathers catch fire for a moment, and small burning wound remains - yet the vrock seems mostly unaffected by the effect.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath reshapes his mind blade and pulls out two additional ones, each slashing at a different Vrock in reach.

OOC: Using Saath's bladewind ability.
On the Vrock Saath and Ian are flanking: 1+18= miss! Confirm critical miss: 15+18=33 Phew Shocked
On the two other Vrocks in range (assuming there are indeed two in range):
16+16=32, damage 6+12=18 cold iron damage.
1+16=miss! 20+16= uhh... just a normal miss I guess.

Wow, 5 attacks in this combat of which 3 are natural 1s Puzzled

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Most of Saath's attacks end in empty air. One attack though ends in a vrock's neck - although, as the vrock disappears instantly, there's once again only empty air.

Meanwhile, Blackthornes notices a strange movement in the ground below him - and suddenly, a large humanoid hand, covered in mud, pushes out of the ground and grabs his right ankle.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc- can I assume that 'Rex' can pinpoint which Vrocks actually did him damage? My plan is this, I'll throw my hole on the ground right at the feet of the Vrocks that are attacking me. I know they'll just fly back out, but it should give me a momentary reprive to link up with MG.]

[I also want to point out, that even though he COULD just turn invisible to escape, 'Rex' would not know enough about beholders to link his inability to use that magic a little while ago to the beholder's presence, he would just assume it didn't work because, well, Loki can be a jerk.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: It's pretty hard to tell which ones damaged you. I'll explain after the battle why. Eye-wink

Besides, the vrock do have ground contact most of the time, but they still have their wings spread, so chances are they won't even fall into it... but then again, it might be worth the try. Your decision Smiling ]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc - Hmmm....well, If I can't really tell which ones attacked me, then a large hole in the ground would only be an obsticle for us, so.....]

Rex lets out a loud roar. Black lightning arcs course over his skin and he grows taller. Within seconds, he has transformed into a Balor! His booming voice shakes dust from the ruined walls.

"Little feathered fools! You've blown my cover! Now face the wrath of Mormuxugg the Mighty! Tremble before me and I may yet decide not to eat your steaming entrails!"

[here's hoping they (1) Buy it, or (2) go for the face, which is now a couple of feet above my real head]

4 Bonus for Bluff to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 17.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As 'Rex' spectacularly transforms into a mighty balor, the vrocks pause for a moment... then all turn towards him, obviously not impressed.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[ooc- oh well, still hoping for #2]

1000 Bonus for crapping myself to do
I rolled 1d20+1000, the result is 1012.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Azure: Sorry the bluff didn't work, but a "normal" vrock (as far as tanar'ri are ever normal) have a sense motive + 16, so...

The idea was neat, though! Smiling

@Blackthornes: Are you around? We're waiting for you!]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes sees the hand and tries to get free*
"What in the hells is this? "
OOC: What? were was my reflex save? Why didn't I get to make one exactly?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: For the simple reason that the hand was too quick. Sorry if my description didn't get that through :-/ ]

The hand obviously doesn't care too much about keeping its grasp on Blackthornes' ankle, so it's easy for him to break free.

[OOC: You can still act this round!]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Blackthornes? You around? If you don't reply in the next 24 hours, I'll go on with the vrocks...

@All: I got a negative from our supposed new player - he found out he doesn't have the time left to join our game.]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: sorry! Im still here.
*Blackthornes reacts slightly to the hand*
Well, that was certainly odd...back to the battle now
OOC: I will shoot at another Vrock.

16 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+16, the result is 26.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The moment Blackthornes' arrow leaves his weapon, he feels a strange energy quickly crawling up from his feet, over his back and arm, right into the arrow. As it flies through the air, the arrow is surrounded by a slight silvery light, probably unnoticed by anyone but Blackthornes.

The arrow hits the vrock closest to Rex - and it hits right into the heart.

The demonic creature stares at the arrow in shock, then screams out in horrible pain. It falls backwards on the ground, twitches for another moment, then falls silent.

One interesting thing happens as the vrock dies: Those vrocks surrounding him make very similar movements, all dying with him - and disappear just as the vrock stops twitching.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The two vrocks opposing the Masked Gnoll take a quick look at their killed fellow - and suddenly, one of them disappears, while another six vrocks appear around him.
All of these seven tanar'ri fold their wings on their backs, then rush upwards, and...

[OOC: The Masked Gnoll and everyone close to him gets an attack of opportunity!]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

With a burst of strength equal to a dragon, The Masked Gnoll lashes out at at all the vrocks charging in at him....

occ: i'm taking my attack of opportunity along with my turn to simplify things

aoo:11+22=33 for 2+12=14
attack 1:)6+21=27 for 5+15=20
attack 2:)10+21=31 for 3+15=18
attack 3:)18(crit.)+16=34 for 12+30=42
attack 4:) 13+18=31 for 4+15=19

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Sorry for the delay, I've had a horrible week at work, and it seems things won't slow down much soon. I'll try my best posting at least once a day, though. I'll reply to swan's post tomorrow, just need a bit to relax and get my head cleared up... Sticking out tongue ]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the vrocks fly upwards, the Masked Gnoll strikes at the one in the center, and hits him into the belly. The 'ri coughs out hard, then rushes on upwards. MG tries hitting him and his fellows again, but every time he hits one of them, they simply disappear.

As the group of vrocks reaches a height of maybe ten yards, the entire group suddenly disappears.

[OOC: Next round...]

At the remaining vrocks see their fellow disappear, they take a look around, then suddenly disappear, as well.

For the moment, it seems like the battle is over.

[OOC: 4.000 XP for every PC surviving the battle!]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"This isn't over quite yet. Keep your eyes sharp, and your ears sharper."
Ian walks over to the body of the beholder and searches it for anything useful. "Blackthornes, check out the body of the vrock you killed. Nice shot by the way."
Ian pauses for a brief moment. "Did someone grab Ophelia?" He then returns to his work.

OOC: Blackthornes, the Masked Gnoll, and Ian now have enough XP to level up. (SCORE!) Should we PM you an upgraded version of our character sheets or what?

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Aye, nice shot 'Thornes! How'd you manage that?'
Saath slashes his sword where the Vrocks used to be, then looks around.
'Vrocks can't turn invisible, can they?'

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk nods to Ian, "Aye. I thought she'd be better protected in my pocket than in the middle of the street."

Taking a close look at the bloody remains of the beholder, Ian finds nothing of interest - at least, not for him (many a tanar'ri would surely be interested in a meal...). Of course, Ian could look through the bloody pulp with his hands...

Turning to Saath, Naruk explains, "Never trust a tanar'ri to have common abilities... not to forget about magical items, actual spells and other stuff. Those mirror images surely were improved, compared to those I've seen so far."

[OOC: Yep, please send the updated sheets to me by PM!]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Well, to tell ya the truth, I don't really understand how I managed it. I think it might have something to do with that hand that reached out from under the ground and grabbed my ankle...just a thought."
*Blackthornes will search the Vrock.*

OOC: Unless I find the sheet, it make take me a while to get my updated one to you...I lost the original sheet and will have to make a new copy. good thing I put his stats up. I will get it to you a soon as I can.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: No problem Smiling ]

Listening to Blackthornes' explanations, Naruk takes a look around. "What hand?"

Noticing the mud-dirty hand that stretches out from the ground, he adds, "Oh. That hand."

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Well bloods, I must complement all on their battle prowress, especially the Masked One. Now if you don't mind standing guard for a few minutes, I need to bind my wounds." The Nalfesnee-turned-Balor says in a very un-Balorlike voice.

The effect starts from the head and works its way down the Balor's body The fiend turns into a thousand small butterflies of light, which flutter off a few feet before dissolving into nothing. When they have all gone it is not a Nalfeshnee that stands revealed, but a dark skinned elf. He is wearing high-quality leather armor that is torn and bloody on the left shoulder, and he has a nasty wound over his right eye from a Vrock's beak.

"Azure Twilight, at your service. I must appologize for that 'call me master' business when we first met, but I've been stranded here for nearly two weeks now and, well, sort of got lost in the role, don't y'know."

He makes his way over to a nearby ruined building and painfully removes his backpack and armor. He retrieves some clean strips of cloth bandages and quickly field-dresses his wounded shoulder.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Azure strips off his backpack, the hand in the ground moves again, and half an arm follows the hand, still covered in mud.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian looks up from the dead Beholder. "Figured you were not actually a fiend."
He stands up and walks over. "Let me take a look at the wound."

He pulls a thin, metal wand from his haversack, and touches it to Azure's shoulder.

"Hold still, this will take but a moment."

OOC: Ian uses his wand of cure light wounds twice to cure (1d8+1=6)+(1d8+1=7) 13 HP.

"There, that should take the edge off of it."

OOC: Character sheet away.

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

MG makes a quick head count...

"We have Ian and Saath and Rex and me and Naruk and Blackthorns and..."

Big flind eyes swell with tears behind a dirty bone mask as Mg rushes to Naruk....

"Is she ok? Please tell me she's ok....I already messed up and lost the Illumian, then the goat, and now Ophelia....I'm the worst hero ever...."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I'd need my old magic to tell more, but I assume she's... well, shrinked and petrified, but alive. Both conditions should be reversible - but not now, not here. I can give her to your care if you want to."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"It's the least I can do...I told her I'd watch out for her...and I'm not about to break a promise even if that means carring around a pocket sized Ophelia."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk takes out Ophelia and hands her over to the Masked Gnoll.

"I'm not an expert in feelings," he says, " but I think she liked you very much. It's good she's in your care."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

MG puts pocket Ophelia into his bag...

"Ms. Daisy, your in charge of taking care of Ophelia when she's in this bag....if you mess this up I would never forgive you!"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Well, we're back at square one. The Vrocks are still a threat, but now they know that they can't take us in a standard battle. And then there's the circle..." Ian pauses.

"Fine, forget it. New plan! We should go by rooftop. It will make us rather obvious to anything flying, but the Vrocks won't have any significant advantage on the rooftops that they didn't have already. And if things go badly, we can always retreat to the streets. Any objections?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks at Ian*
"I agree with that plan, but there's a problem: how are we going to get the big guy up there? Im sure me and you could easily climb up to a roof top, but I don't think that everyone can."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the Masked Gnoll puts Ophelia into his bag, Ms. Daisy looks up to him, then to Ophelia, looking at her with wide-open eyes. It seems she's guarding her.

Following the conversation between Ian and Blackthornes, Naruk turns around in a circle, looking at the buildings surrounding them.
"Blackthornes has a good point. Considering the state of most.. or maybe actually ALL buildings here... I could even imagine they crumble at the weight of one of us humans or half-humans."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ina nods. "Fair enough. What if I ferry people over the ruins with my ring? With the possible exception of the Masked Gnoll, all of you are well within my capacity. It will only be one at a time, but it means we don't have to walk through an alleyway, or cross a possibly trapped circle."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Ian finishes his sentence, the group hears a squishing sound from nearby. A second arm comes out of the mud; then the hands grab the ground and pull the upper half of a humanoid body out of the ground.

Covered in the Abyssal soil-fluid, the creature that is still half-buried in the ground falls face first onto the street. The scene reminds of an absurd birth, the land itself being the mother, a full grown humanoid being the newborn and dirt and mud replacing blood and other organic fluids.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Urk.' Saath looks at the birth with disgust. 'Let's do it. The sooner we're out of here the better.'

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian's eyes go wide. "Right. Blackthornes, you go first."

With that, Ian will begin lifting party members up, over the buildings, and setting them down on the other side.

"Any spellchucker that can slow that thing down a bit should give it a go." Ian says.

OOC: I'm transporting people in the following order:
Blackthornes, Azure, Saath, Naruk, Masked Gnoll, Ian.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*When Blackthornes gets to the other side, he will look around to see if there is anything worth yelling back to the party about.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The other side looks pretty much like the place Blackthornes just came from. An old, bald sod with torn and tattered clothes sits in a nearby corner between two buildings, staring at him with a mixture of aggression and fear.

"Ai shuthulan mal heromay," he speaks, just barely loud enough for Blackthornes to hear him.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes speaks to the man*
"Do you speak planar trade? I can't understand your words."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Shaking his head and making a defending gesture with his hands, the man replies, "Lurion mal thruo-mashimai. Kalathon redai!"

Slowly and with obvious pain, he stands up and walks away, looking at Blackthornes again and again, obviously expecting an attack.

A second later, Azure lands at Blackthornes' side.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes shouts at the man*
"Don't look at me like that you fool, I am not going to harm you."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes shouts, the man speeds up, and disappears between two buildings.

In the meantime, Saath also lands on the other side.

The constant rain turns heavier, and slowly, the clouds become even darker than before.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Hmmm....I don't like this. Never trust anything in Demonholme, not even the weather. I think we should seek shelter for the time being, bloods."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk makes his landing as Azure suggests seeking shelter.

"True about the weather," he says, "but I'm not entirely convinced we'll find anything worth the name 'shelter' in this burg. Maybe we should just... speed up."

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.