This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes looks up, and then to Naruk*
"I agree with naruk on this one. We need to get were we are going as soon as possible."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The Masked Gnoll hovers over a ruined building, the heavy rain hammering down on him. Suddenly, a fiery red lightning bolt strikes the house, and it explodes in a giant fireball.

Ian's magic is brutally interrupted, and the large gnoll is blown through the air like a cobblestone in a sudden tornado. The group on the other side of the street is pushed aside by the strength of the explosion, the churning fire coming dangerously close to them.

[OOC: All except Ian and the Masked Gnoll make a Reflex save. The Masked Gnoll needs to make both a Reflex and a Fortitude save. All saves against DC 17.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Gnoll!" Ian yells, as he lifts himself into the air, speeding toward wherever the Masked Gnoll landed.

OOC: I realized that what he find will be dependeant on the Masked Gnoll's saves.

Also, how far along is the mud-person's birth?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Ian approaches the burning building, he quickly realizes this way will be blocked for quite some time: The fire's heat is unnaturally strong, and he can't go closer than ten yards to the building - unless he tries hovering high above the fire.

[OOC: The last I described about the birth is maybe three minutes ago. Last Ian checked, though, the creature was still with its lower half inside the ground - possibly even dead, as it was not moving at all.]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

occ:sorry, i've been away..real busy with school....
fort save=27=no problem
reflex=12...i rolled a two....sigh

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Right,' Saath says to Naruk's suggestion, 'just two m--'
Abyssal lightning strikes the house.

OOC: Reflex at the bottom Smiling

10 Bonus for Reflex to do
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 13.
Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Yes, Naruk, perhaps you're ri--"

"Holey Hel!" Azure dives over a short ruined wall when the lightning hits.

11 Bonus for Reflex to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 26.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The Masked Gnoll is blasted aside by the heat and pressure of the lightning explosion. While his strong body resists serious damage from the explosion itself, he is catapulted through the air for a full twenty yards, away from the group, before falling down again - and crashing into the rotten remains of a stone tower. The ancient walls reach twenty feet high, and while the gnoll's falling speed is decelerated by the tower's half-rotten roof (which exists no more after the gnoll crashing through it), the fall down the tower itself is still high enough to be quite painful. Down at the ground, a mud-covered stone floor waits for the Masked Gnoll.

[OOC: 11 points of damage for the Masked Gnoll.]

Blackthornes and Azure manage to escape the effects of the explosion, but Saath gets burned by the astonishing heat as a large flame blasts into his face.

[OOC: 4 points of damage for Saath.]

As Ian observes what happens, he realizes that everywhere in the mud, little grey snake-like creatures come creeping out of the ground.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes goes to dive out of the way of the wreckage*

15 Bonus for reflex to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 27.
Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'I should've dodged that. Am I getting rusty?' Saath says to himself while backing away from the burning building.

'I'll go check on the masked gnoll, you guys wait here for Ian.' He says to Naruk, Azure and Blackthornes and hurries toward the Gnoll's crash site.

OOC: Hooray for fire resistance Laughing out loud Wait, that 4 damage is without subtracting fire resistance, right?

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian lifts himself higher into the air, and lands himself as close to the Masked Gnoll as possible.

"Gnoll, are you all right?" Ian says, whipping out his wand again.

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"CRAP THAT SUCKED!", the most profane words MG can think of....

The massive gnoll stands up from the rubble and starts to brush himself off. He checks his bag to make sure Ms. Daisy and pocket Ophelia are ok before responding to Ian

"It'll take more than that to stop me, and i'm a FLIND gnoll Ian, call me a gnoll again and i'll rip kidneys out and juggle them while you die in a pool of your own internal fluids at my feet! And next time ask me if I'm ready."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Saath: No, it's before fire resistance Smiling ]

Realizing Ian hovers above them towards the gnoll's landing place, Naruk turns towards the others. "Ian's heading there, too - we should hurry to get there as well. And watch out for these snakes!" he says, pointing towards the snakes that come slithering out of the mud everywhere around.

MG sees that Ophelia is okay - obviously, Ms. Daisy has put her on her belly to protect her. Ms. Daisy herself though looks up at him with a pain-filled face. It's easy to see her left front leg is broken.

[OOC: @Ian: Don't have my rules at hand right now, how quick are you hovering with the ring of telekinesis?]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Telekinesis can safely move me at 20 ft per round.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Everyone except Ian and MG: If you wanna head to the Masked Gnoll's "landing place", you need to pass through a few more buildings. That is, of course, a risk, considering shadowy corners and all. Those who wanna go there can - if nothing comes in between - reach the place at probably about the same time as Ian.

@Fidrikon: Ian had to hover very high (about fourty yards above the ground) to escape the heat of the flames. Do you keep the height or how does Ian move exactly?]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Ian will move at an angle, drifting higher as he tries to find a way to go around the flames, instead of in a straight line.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: What's everyone else doing?]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I am staying were I'm at

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[I'm staying put, near to Blackthornes, until everyone is ready to start moving again.]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

MG cast speak with animals to talk to Ms. Daisy...

"Oh my word, are you going to o.k.? I didn't mean for that to happen! I'm the worst hero ever!"

occ: MG is going to stay in place untill everyone catches up to him

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Saath will make his way through the buildings to MG then. Though he'll try to do so without being noticed.
Hide: d20 +17=26
Move silently: d20+15=30

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ms. Daisy answers the Masked Gnoll in her language. "Ophelia fine? Ms. Daisy protected her, but Ms. Daisy doesn't know if Ophelia fine. Ms. Daisy's leg hurts... so much..."

Walking in the shadows as he passes through the buildings, Saath sees a strange scene: A single marilith rises up from the ground, or rather through the ground, of a building he passes. The fiend is half-transparent, and illuminated in a pale grey light. Each of the six hands holds a finely crafted weapon, as ghostly as her body. The tanar'ri's upper half is stunningly beautiful: A naked woman with long, curly black hair and large, green eyes. Her lower snake body shows a few heavy scars, though.
So far, it seems the marilith-apparition (or whatever it might be) hasn't noticed Saath.

Ian comes closer to the tower. From his high position, he notices the tower doesn't seem to have any way in or out, except of the roof. Although the tower looks as rooten as all buildings around here, a closer look shows the walls are still intact - more than those of any other building Ian has seen in this City of the Stranded.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian swears, and removes one of the two fire proof suits from his haversack. He drapes it over his front, so as to shield as much of his body (especially his hands and face) as he can manage before he charges the flames.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Umm.. misunderstanding. The flames were in the building right before you while you were transporting MG telekinetically. You've passed the building now and hover in front of the tower where MG crashed. That tower is NOT burning.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Oh... then I guess Ian heads for the masked Gnoll, going in through the hole the Masked Gnoll made when he fell in.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

After about three feet, Ian suddenly falls down - and his rapier appears and falls down to the ground, as well.

[OOC: Reflex save for Ian against DC 15, Reflex save for MG against DC 12]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian's eyes go wide. "Shit."

OOC: Reflex saves! My specialty.
roll = 6 + 14 = 20

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

occ: 10+8=18...no problem

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian falls down, but about two feet above the ground, he realizes the anti-magical area ends - and he activated his ring of telekinesiss again, making him land softly on the ground. His rapier meanwhile hits the ground just besides the Masked Gnoll - AFTER he has made a step away from that location.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian lands, picks up his Rapier, and walks over to the Masked Gnoll.
"You know, I didn't notice it after the Liria battle, but she gave you a few good hits. And that fall didn't help much either. Want me to take the edge off it for you?" Ian says, pulling out his wand. A look of concern crosses his face. "Oh, right. Also keep an eye out, there might be another Beholder around."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian's healing wand shines in a very slight glow, an illumination he knows well from this magical item. But as he pulls it out, the glow disappears - as soon as he raises it higher than two feet above the ground.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath will keep moving stealthily while keeping a close eye on the marilith phantom thing.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Hmmmm." Ian lowers the wand until it starts working again. "Curious."
He then touches the wand to the Masked Gnoll, and then Ms. Daisy.

OOC: I use three charges on the masked gnoll (1d8+ 1= 5, 1d8+1= 7, I d8+ 1=4) to heal 16 hp.

and then one to heal the badger (1d8+1= 7) hp.

Ian turns back to the Masked Gnoll. "How do you feel?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Both MG's and Ms. Daisy's wounds close as Ian heals them with his wand. Ms. Daisy seems to be at perfect health again, and says in Badger-language to the Masked Gnoll, "Pain is gone. Ms. Daisy feels fine again. Is Ophelia fine, too?"

The marilith phantom moves towards the wall opposite to Saath - and walks right through it, leaving Saath's line of sight.

Both Saath and the group staying near the burning building notice that the number of small snakes coming out of the ground has risen amazingly: There's at least two or three of them per square yard. For now, though, they don't seem to be aggressive.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Relieved that the Tanar'ri Sad :( Sad :( Sad is gone, and puzzled by the snakes, Saath picks up the pace to MG.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

A tower with no entrance? Saath thinks to himself. Guess I'll have to fly in. He activates his winged boots and flies over the wall.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath reaches the tower reaching about twenty feet into the air. Its walls are dirty, yet the large yellow stones appear surprisingly intact. There is no visible entrance except of the destroyed roof.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath reaches the crushed roof just as Ian finishes healing Ms. Daisy and the Masked Gnoll. He can see them on the ground while the heavy rain storms in on him.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Hey Ian! Didn't expect to find you here already. I told the others to wait for you while I'd go pick up the big guy.' Saath shouts down while hovering above the destroyed roof.
'You okay, Masked Gnoll? Need a lift?' He grins.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the small group stands waiting, one of the snakes - black scales showing up under the mud - begins slithering upwards on Blackthornes' left leg. The animal hisses constantly as it begins to bend itself around the leg.

Naruk points towards it, "Blackthornes, take care! Powers... I think we should move on."

Now he points to another creature that enters the street: A translucent, phantom-like marilith, which comes from the row of houses that Saath just passed.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Surprise, surprise... we have a new player coming in Smiling ]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian looks up. "Nice boots. Watch out though, there seems to be an area of antimagic left by the lightning. Don't ask me why. However, that means we'll need another way out."

OOC: Is there any visible exit from the inside of the tower? I know you said there was nothing from the outside...

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: No, none visible, although the ground seems to have cracked up a bit after MG's crash.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Ian and Saath speak, sparks fire up everywhere in the sky, and crackling energies slowly gather in the clouds...

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Saath, get down, now." Ian says. "It looks like its building up for another strike."

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'Ergh, I could pull you up with a rope once things calm down. I'll wait it out on the other side, don't wanna get stuck down there too. Later!' And with that, Saath flies down to where he started. There he hovers a few feet above the ground to avoid the snakes while simultaneously trying to not act as a lightning rod.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Two titanic impacts rock the ground, causing stone and iron to shatter like glass.

(Joyblood, 135 pts of damage to the "ceiling", bypassing all Hardness)
(Also, Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering to determine best place to strike to cause controlled cave-in).

12 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 26.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The ground below Ian and MG sinks in half a yard, creating a conical shape pointing downwards.

[OOC: Reflex save for Ian and MG to escape slipping down to the center of the reversed cone, against DC 13.]

It seems like the slightest movement could let the rest of the ground crash down to whatever lies below.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Joyblood, would Azure and I have heard anything when dialexis stomped on the roof?

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The massive flind takes a grappling hook from his belt and starts to swing it to toss when the floor gives away underneath him..

occ: i rolled a 14 on the save

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.