This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Following the sharp tremors is a far more subtle sound, faint in comparison to the gathering abyssal storm above; however, in its wake, the conical ground becomes brittle, fractured with spidering cracks -even the merest touch or pressure causing the now, fragile flooring to crumble into dust.

(OOC: 1,000 feet of the "cieling" becomes utterly fragile (even more so than glass, as its hardness has now been stripped away) -the area is centered upon the "weakened" point", so a little more than 10 cubic feet in diameter).

**OOC: also, blackthornes: joyblood can of course answer for himself, but the "sounds/forces" are clearly coming from -BELOW- Ian and MG.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Blackthornes, you, Azure and Naruk could easily hear the stomping sound.]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthrones turns in the general direction of the noise, and seems shocked.*
"What in the hell's was that? I think we might want to follow saath and go over to wear the gnoll crashed. I think they may need our help now."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: roll = 4 + 14 = 18

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Kicking away the snake from Blackthornes' foot, Naruk nods in heavy agreement. "The faster the better", he says, giving both the sky and the phantom marilith a critical look.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Fidrikon: You can decide whether Ian managed to grab something to keep his hold or he activated his telekinesis ring... but then he's got to take care to NOT get into the antimagic area above him]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Let's go with the grabbing option.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Oblivious or heedless of the sounds above, the titanic impacts resume their foreboding intonations; however, the now-fragile stone can barely contain the mysterious source of devastation. Like the hand of the unliving breaking fresh grave-soil, a massive wedge of black steel come crashing through the floor, only to draw back and return again in another furious assault -each stroke disintegrating the once-solid stone into dust. Through the dust-clouds, only a dim-emerald light diffuses, blazing from a line of strange alchemical seals on the giant's span of ebon steel.

(OOC: 97 more points of damage to the "ceiling" -and once again, all of it negating hardness [this time because the stone has no hardness anymore]. I could be wrong, but by this time, I hope that 232 points of damage bypassing all hardness is enough to destroy the 10' section of "ceiling" -especially with the skill check of 26.)

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The ground stays calm for a moment after the last impacts... then all at once crashes down into an empty space below. Ian and the Masked Gnoll clutch to the walls, their legs dangling in the air now - or rather, in the dust-clouds filling the entire tower right now.
For a few seconds, it's almost impossible to breathe.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Breath has long since turned to stone -one cannot choke the man who has already been suffocated -one cannot choke the man who is no longer." -muses the Praetorian silently to himself.

Willing the alchemical seals on the Brahmastra to become transmutive paradigms, the nine foot blade of Baatorian Greensteel warps and solidifies into a wide span of Cold-forged Iron -the Bane of Chaos.

And with the newly transmuted blade, the remnant of the scattered Praetorians wills the Aphana's Aegis to hover above, the transparent image of the medusa acting as both a warding and a lense. Silently, immune to the fatigue of flesh or blood, Sejanus patiently waits for the dust and debris to settle, scanning the recently forged cavity and beyond.

(OOC: Spot check 15)

8 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 15.
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ians eyes go wide, and then settle into a scowl.
"I hate this plane."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @Dialexis: I think it helps if you describe things from the perspective of the other players. For example, noone knows what the Brahmastra is - so instead of using the word, describe what the others see, feel, hear, ...

Thanks Laughing out loud ]

What Sejanus sees is the inside of a tower, roughly six yards high, and two humanoids clutching to the walls, who were obviously surprised by the sudden break-in. As the dust slowly begins to clear again, one of them speaks.

[OOC: That's Ian, of course.]

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Understood. However, I was moreso declaring my actions to you as the DM -as I was under the impression that the initial dust cloud would have shielded Sejanus from the other's view. Granted, now that the dust has cleared/clears, I will post accordingly.]

[Forewarning, I probably won't be able to post again till tommorrow morning -sorry for the delay -but might at least give Blackthornes and Finwe time to declare their actions/get into the tower or whatnot. I'll see if I can post sooner.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Understand that. I only think it's better for the flow of the story and the, well, team-writing Smiling works better when everybody tries to write for everybody Smiling ]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: How are we going to get in? I don't think it will be very possible from our position on the ground.
"Right then. Let's head towards were we saw the big guy come down. I think that Ian must have went to his aid, and it seems that saath slipped off this way too."
*Blackthornes will start to head in the general direction of were he saw MG come down.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk follows him hastily, keeping a wary eye on the phantom marilith. The translucent being has stared into the crackling dark sky for a while now, then turns away from the group and slithers forward down the street.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

'The HELLS was that!?' Saath yells, wide-eyed. 'I really gotta get off this thrice-damned plane before I'm fit for the Gatehouse. I'm even talking to myself already, aargh!'

Saath looks at the clouds with a peery eye. Seeing that the crackling energy hasn't discharged yet, he flies up hugging the wall along the way to see if Ian and MG are alright.
Seeing their predicament, Saath says: ':o:o:o:o!'

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Umm... what exactly does he say? Smiling ]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure sticks fairly close to Blackthornes, warilly watching the sky.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian, having heard Saath say... whatever he just said, looks up.
"Rope. Let down a rope, and pull me up. Then we can work together to pull our Masked companion to safety."
Ian looks back down at the hole. "And be quick about it. This tower is someplace I have decided not to be."

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I assumed some huge golem like thing was floating up from the collapsed ground with some gigantic weapon, so Saath cursed. But I assumed wrong and the floor 'merely' disappeared. Still warrants a curse though Smiling

'Oh! Right, I was planning on doing just that.' Saath takes a rope out of his bag and lowers it to where Ian and MG are holding on. 'I'll pull up Ian first, then we can pull up the big guy together.'
Saath braces himself on the edge of the wall, awaiting Ian's weight on the rope.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The crackling energies above send fiery shockwaves throughout the dark clouds, immersing the entire city in a gloomy red light.
The rain becomes even heavier than before, and the wind turns into a small storm within seconds.

Dozens of large bird-like creatures can be seen flying through and under the clouds, watching the city like predators watching for easy prey.

Another lightning strike comes down, this time far away from the group, on the other edge of the city. Distant screams can be heard, mixed with thunder, and a small explosion follows short after.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sensing the storm and the number of unknown entities above, Sejanus backs further into the tunnel, out of sight, taking a defensive stance. And in the darkness, sheltered from the storm, the Praetorian recalls the lore of the Thulkarr:

"War is like unto the water -it flows unto the voids. Control the voids, control the water."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

In the midst of the current noise, Sejanus clearly hears a cat's purr - like it's right beside his head. There is nothing, though.
The purr turns into a light snicker, and Sejanus realizes the voice is inside his head.

Even now that you broke free, your mind is still captured, the cat-like voice says.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus pays the mental projection little heed -such things are all too common on the Lower Planes -and are oft filled with deceit and derision and filled with malicious manipulation.

Nonetheless, Sejanus mentally replies -almost reflexively -his main focus still upon the opening 10' feet away, awaiting for the inevitable entrance of the entities above:

"The Prison of Power encages all -any 'freedom' is obtained relative to the power disparity between entities, but is transient or conditional upon such relative balances of power."
"But the bars that ensare the living mind, will not hold the Praetorian."
"Be relagated to ignomious indifference or reveal some shred of efficacy."

Despite this mental dialogue, Sejanus' unblinking eyes of gold remain focused on the surroundings -his back against the tunnel wall, standing in a defensive position, sword and shield at ready, and focused on any figure that might pass through the gaping hole -from which pours the Abyssal rain.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian grabs ahold of the rope, and begins to climb it.
"Fly!" Ian yells as he climbs.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The cat-voice snickers in Sejanus' mind, then replies,

Efficacy? You are trapped in this place. This city is a city of the stranded, and the city itself keeps people inside. The group above is your key to leaving the city. They are on their way out.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Saath, indeed, flies upward as soon as Ian grabs hold and attempts to deposit him safely on top of one of the more stable sections of roof, or on the wall. All the while praying to whatever power will hear him that the lightning will wait a bit and the flying creatures don't immediately spot him.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus ponders the "cat-like voice", and then responds in kind:

"Indeed, if your claim is true, then your presence is of efficacy. Truth, however, is a rare treasure admist the Closets of Panzunia."

"Assuming your claim is correct, then such counsel is beneficial to the Praetorian. As such, it is only logical to assume that either the entrapment of the Praetorian is against your will and, or, it is desirable for there to be some interaction between said group and the Praetorian. The third alternative being that you give such an offer in desire for some form of repayment."

"If so, state your terms."

While projecting these thoughts, Sejanus moves closer to the gaping hole, and focuses on the "group".

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Ian maintains concentration on his ring the entire trip up the rope, activating it as soon as he clears the antimagic field. He should be able to tell as soon at it becomes active, since he is trying to use it to float.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The crackling sky slowly turns deep red as Saath lands on the roof's edge. Just as Ian's hand passes the upper edge of the wall, the ring on his hand activates and lets him float.

You judge too fast, the voice replies to Sejanus. I need your trust not. Do trust me and find your way out, or trust me not and rot here for eternity. The choice is yours.

Meanwhile, Blackthornes and his companions reach the tower, the little puppy following him under great effort.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus observes the withdrawal of the motley band, and considers the wisdom of their path. The seals on his golden eyes scan the crimson-storm-wraked sky, attempting to discern the danger of the storm as well as the threat of the demonic denziens above.

(OOC: Spot check on number and type)

8 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 15.
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Thats enough." Ian says, letting go of the rope and using his ring to fly away from it. "Now for the Gnoll."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will look for a door, wothout finding one, then he will look up towards the top of the tower. When he sees the others, he'll yell up to them.*
"What are you guys playing around in the wreckage for? We are on a mission, don't forget."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

MG hangs on to the walls and crys out to his comrades....

"I WANT TO GO HOME, AND I WANT OPHILIA BACK, AND I WANT TO BE BRAVE...AND I WANT MY MOMMY"

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"We'll get you out of here! Just grab the rope!" Saath yells over the sound of the storm to MG while lowering the rope.

"Ian, I'm guessing the gnoll is a lot heavier than you are, so lend me a hand with that ring of yours, will ya?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Thats the plan." Ian says, waiting for the rope to lower. As soon as it is within the Masked Gnoll's reach, Ian grabs ahold of the rope. "Ready when you are!" He yells to the Gnoll.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

At that moment, the fiery sky discharges with another lightning bolt maybe a mile away, followed by roaring thunder that everyone standing on the ground can feel in their feet.

Followed by the first bolt comes another at the same spot, and another, and another...

Those watching the sky from the right position (mostly meaning, those outside the tower) quickly realize the lightning bolts do not strike the exact same spot - rather, they move a few yards with every hit, creating a line of devastation through the city. From what can be seen by now, the tower lies right in the path of that line.

The sound of thunder becomes so all-consuming that no other sound can be heard anymore, and the ears of everyone around feel like they will start bleeding soon.

As the roaring thunder fills the air, the puppy jumps at Blackthornes' leg, obviously panicked.

While MG still hangs on the wall, dust and small stones break out of the stone and fall down on him and into the empty space below.

Meanwhile, Sejanus has observed what he can see of the sky from his position. He's not entirely sure, but the creatures above seem like vrocks, and there seem to be at least two or three every ten square feet.

The snakes in the mud have stopped moving while all that happened, and their black skins crack up like dry earth, revealing silvery scales below. It seems they are transforming into something else right now.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: If Sejanus is watching the sky, shouldn't MG be able to see him? Or am I missing something here?]

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Perhaps, MG could have seen Sejanus -he was hiding as he watched, using the wreckage as cover -but due to his next actions, such an observation is at this point moot. Next time, I will roll the hide check though -sorry.]

Sejanus' unblinking eyes take in the chaotic maelstrom and menace of the sky -both from the storm as well as its demonic inhabitants.

Calling upon his magic, he steps out into the open hole, revealing himself to the beings above. His approach is heralded by a momentary flash of jade light, contrasting with the darkness of the chasm and the crimson sky.

And though the light fades as quickly as it appears, it is perhaps enough to draw the attention of those otherwise engaged.

Those who look down will see, standing in the stony wreckage, a figure of giant porportions, towering nearly twice the size of mortal men. And though, the details of this mysterious figure are obscured by the sheets of rain, it is clear that the entity is a soldier, revealed by his stance and movements, as well as by his armaments of violence.

Holding much of the abyssal rain at bay is a shield the size of a man, made from what appears to be glass, shaped and forged to resemble a medusa's visage, complete with coils of golden-scaled serpents. Eerily, the shield hovers in place, by some unseen phantasmal force.

But underneath the strange-glass-like shield is a massively built figure, armored in crimson-red plate mail, ornamented in ebon and golden figures, the most common being a massive scorpion sigil flanked by moons and stars. Somewhat concealing the soldier's frame is a half-cloak of black, detailing a severed eagle, radiating bolts of golden lightning, whose pattern whips furiously in the abyssal gale.

Encased in the blood-red armor, the warrior holds a massive sword, whose naked blade shimmers with alchemical runes, contrasted by an aura of shadowy darkness. Though the titanic blade must be of incredible wieght, the mysterious figure holds the giant-sized greatsword in one hand, downward in a defensive gesture, yet poised to strike if necessary.

The entity's face is shrouded by a similarily crimson helm, though those with keen enough sight might periceve the stony skin that lurks underneath. Adding to the menace of the warrior's visage is a crown that is worn over the helm, made it seems of solidified blood. Without ornamentation or gemstone, its grim nature is made even moreso as the pouring rain makes it appear to be weeping tears of blood.

Yet piercing through the concealing helm are a set of unblinking eyes, seemingly made of pure gold, lacking any iris or pupil save two coin-like seals.

These foreboding eyes are keenly focused upon the band above, and then, issuing from the crimson-depths of armor, the warrior yells out in a booming voice, as if one well versed in shouting above the din of war:

"Skyward holds no refuge -that way is madness. Below here is a tunnel that is sheltered from the storm. In the open, you are too exposed to the demons that surround you. Down below, the tactical advantages of their numbers and flight are nullifed."

And as if to prove his point, he swing the massive blade in an arc, to the path of the lightning, as well as to the swarms of tanar'ri, and then down to the tunnel below.

"Niether you nor I know one another -except that I proclaim we may indeed share a common destination. I am no demon -my word is true. For the moment, we are allies -an alliance that portends to be mutually beneficial".

And then swinging his blade into a two-handed grip, readied to strike the sky-itself, the being cries out once more:

"Come, I will bar the demons passage till all of you have safely entered below."

And at that, the figure stands completely still, as motionless as the dead, yet alive with a waiting tension expressed in its seeking eyes -watching for some reaction from those above.

[OOC: Sejanus, casts prestidigitation to create a small burst of light to attract the group's attention. Then, while keeping the demons in sight, Sejanus makes a diplomacy to garner the compliance of the group: check result 26.]

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 15.
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Listen 8+11 = 19
Diplomacy 12 + 17 = 29

Momentarily startled by the unexpected light from the ground, Ian turns and his eyes go wide at the sight of the collosal armoured figure.
"Gnoll, climb now!"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Even the massive creature's booming voice is nigh unhearable in the current thunderstorm.

[OOC: Listen check against DC 15 for anyone trying to understand Sejanus, DC 17 for those on the ground in front of the tower.]

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*blackthornes will yell up again*
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but It seems like there is a nice little stream of lightining headed right for us. We may want to listen to what that voice has to say. Evil or not, it may be our only hope of getting away from the Vrocks AND the lightining."

17 Bonus for listen to do
I rolled 1d20+17, the result is 20.
dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OCC: I rolled 11+15(listen)=26

The Masked Gnoll grabs the rope, looks up and starts to climb when hears the sound of thunder. He remebers what that sound meant last time. He glances down at the creature below, then looks up and shouts...

"I CAN TAKE HIM! I'VE FOUGHT BIGGER, AND I DON'T WANT MS. DAISY TO GET ZAPPED AGAIN! I'M GOING DOWN!"

The gnoll cradles the bag with Ms. daisy and Ophilia in one arm, then lets go of the rope...

OCC: I would tumble to negate falling damage, but alas, I don't have it as a class skill! Here's hoping for the best...

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: How far away from the lightning is the tower at this point?

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: listen: 3+7=10

Seeing the giant man in red armour and MG letting go of the rope, Saath stands there, slack-jawed, stunned, baffled, still holding the rope.

"Two questions: What kind of Tanar'ri is that, and what did it say to make Gnoll let go?!" He yells to Ian over the storm.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: For anyone trying to understand any single sentence, a Listen check against DC 15 is necessary.

The lightning stream is still about a mile away, if it comes closer at the current speed, it'd take about a minute to reach the tower.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: @dread pirate swan: 2 points of damage for crushing on the rubble. The fall wasn't deep, so no big danger there.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian whips out his pipes of sounding, and blows into them as hard as he can, using it to mimic his voice as loud as possible.

"Gnoll, the lighting is headed this way, right toward this tower. This is the last chance I can give you before I have to withdraw. Decide quickly."

OOC: The pipes of sounding should be able to make the message as loud as 8 people yelling at once, considerably louder and clearer then Ian could by himself.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Offer of alliance or not, Sejanus prepares himself for possible retaliation.

Although, he stands in the same stance, he wills the alchemical seals to shift, causing the cold-iron blade to transmute to the dark, husky hue of adamantine. Eying the dropping gnoll, Sejanus prepares, his mind shifting through various strategems. Settling upon one quickly, the crimson-armoured figure slightly switches his grip -and then waits.

[OOC: readied action/strike if MG comes within less than 10']

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.