This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1862 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

With the help of the pipes of sounding, the Masked Gnoll clearly understands what Ian says to him.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

From their position on the ground, Blackthornes, Azure and Naruk see the phantom marilith coming closer again. She leaves a building maybe twenty yards down the street, and, hidden underneath the building's tattered roof, watches the sky for a while. It seems like she hasn't noticed the group yet.

As she turns to another direction - still staring into the sky - Blackthornes and Azure see she's holding something in her middle right hand. A closer look reveals this "something" to be three severed humanoid heads, still bleeding.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will turn towards the Tanari and then back toward Naruk.*

"Naruk, this may seem like a fool question, but what is that tanari doing? She doesn't seem to be looking all friendly like right about now."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

MG crumbles into a big pile of gnoll without a touch of grace when he lands and yelps..

"Owwie!'

The Masked Gnoll then peeks inside his knapsac to see if the contants are undamaged, then stands up and brushes off his dirty hide cloak while shouting out to the giant being in front of him...

"ARE YOU A GOOD FIEND OR A BAD FIEND? 'CAUSE MY GRAMPA SAYS I'M NOT TO ASSOCIATE WITH BAD FIENDS. SO IF YOU'RE A GOOD FIEND THEN WE CAN PLAY TOGETHER, BUT IF YOUR A BAD FIEND WE'LL HAVE TO BATTLE!'

The hulking gnoll then rubs his bottom where he landed...

"owwie that stings!"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Very well then." Ian flys to the ground, near the rest of the group, motioning for Saath to follow him.

"We need to get out of the path of that lightning, now!" Ian yells. "Come on." With that, Ian heads away from the tower, and the lightning. Since the lightning is seemingly going in a line, Ian will try to go perpendicular to that line.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

All of a sudden, the lightning stops, about half a mile away from the group. The crimson clouds turn darker, and within three seconds, the only remaining light comes from the fire of burning buildings.

The thunder fades, and the storm calms down. The wind and rain have almost become soft by now... opposite to the cries of the bird-creatures up in the sky.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus looks down upon the gnoll, indeed shocked by the question and the child-like demeanor of the flind. If he possessed a soul capable of doing so, he might have laughed. Instead, his stony face remains a mask of wariness. Strangely, there is neither intake nor exhalation of breath, and so the deep, yet booming voice sounds with little presage:

"No Fiend am I."

The crimson armoured giant stops for a moment as if considering saying more, but then stops as the abyssal storm vanishes to a beguiling calm.

Turning back to the gnoll, still maintaining his defensive position, Sejanus calls out to the curious flind -still in the deep voice, but this time, quietly -like unto a low rumbling of rock:

"Who is the leader of your group."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian stops abruptly, and looks up at the sky.
"Well, that was... sudden." he says. He turns toward the rest of the group. "We should use this lull to the best advtantage possible. But first, we have a gnoll to get."

With that, Ian will fly to the top of the tower, and begin attaching one end of his rope to the top.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The light has become so little it's impossible to see beyond three yards for human eyes. It's just as impossible to see the sky, yet the sounds in the city make clear the danger is not over yet.

Distant flapping of wings and the vulture-like cries echo through the disrupted city, followed by the occasional scream. The closest scream so far comes from about fifty yards up the street.

Naruk nods to Blackthornes' question. "Probably a ritual... or just pure brutality. Either way, the sudden darkness doesn't make me feel better."

Listening to the screams and the bird-cries, he adds, "Maybe the tower isn't such a bad idea after all... what do you think?" He looks at both Azure and Blackthornes, waiting for a reply.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes nods to Naruk.*
"That sounds like a plan to me, although I don't know how we will get up there."
*Blackthornes shouts up to Ian*
"Ian, can you lift us up there? We think we should take cover in the ruins. It's a good plan."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Blackthornes finishes his sentence, another lightning strikes the city. For a split second, the ruins are immerged in crimson light, showing hundreds or even thousands of vrocks pouncing downwards into the city, or rising again - often with humanoid prey in their fangs.

Also, the phantom marilith is obviously headed for the group at the ground - she is no more than ten yards away, and staring at the planewalkers like they were dead meat already.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk shouts up to Ian, "And quick, if that's possible!"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian quickly drops himself on top of the tower wall, and begins lift people with the ring, and setting them down in the most stable area.

OOC: In the following order: Naruk, Azure, Blackthornes

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: That is, you set them down INSIDE the tower, or up on the tower wall / roof?]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: On the roof/wall if at all possible, if only to speed things up.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk hovers through the air, then lands safely on the roof. Fortunately, the stones from which the tower was built are quite large, so it's relatively easy to stand on them.

Ian turns his attention to Azure, and lifts him up as well. As Azure is about half the way up, another lightning strike lightens up the city for a short moment. The air is filled with vrocks - it's a mystery the group hasn't been attacked yet. There must be thousands of them attacking the city.

The phantom marilith has come closer - she's little more than three yards away from Blackthornes and the frightened puppy - which hides behind Blackthornes' legs.

It's even more frightening what else the sudden light shows: Behind the phantom marilith, the snakes in the mud all transform into full-fledged clones of the fiend. Three of them are already closing in on Blackthornes, another two are headed in a different direction, and at least two dozen other mariliths are currently forming, a seemingly painful process.

As the light fades again, the first marilith still stays in Blackthornes' line of sight: She has come so close he can see her even in this darkness. She looks right into his eyes with her own staring, empty green eyes, and shows her sharp fangs. Obviously, she has chosen Blackthornes as her next meal.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Meanwhile, Saath hasn't been standing still. He now dangles the rope in front of Blackthornes while Ian is busy ferrying up Azure.

"'Thornes, grab the rope. I'll carry you up. You should know there's an antimagic field in the tower. Once we go down there, we won't be gettin' out."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will quickly grab the puppy first, then he will grab onto the rope.*
"Pull me up saath, quickly!"

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

A wide flind mouth goes from a slight smile to a giant frown underneath a dirty, ivory mask...

"What ever happen to intraductions? Everyone's always buisness, never take the time to get to know fella!"

MG extends his beefy flind arm out to the massive humaniod in front of him with an open palm...

"I'm The Masked Gnoll! I'm sorta a big deal in the hive....well, not really. But some day I'm going to be the best masked vigilante ever! All I have to do is work hard and eat my veggies, Grampa says! Someday I'm gonna save my friend ophelia!". He grabs into his bag but continues with his rant "This is Ms. Daisy! She's my best friend!....Who are you again?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the marilith sees Blackthornes grabbing the rope, she speeds up. He is already in mid-air as the fiend grabs his ankle with her two upper hands. Visions of himself being torn apart and eaten up by the marilith appear in Blackthornes' mind.

[OOC: @Blackthornes: Reflex save against DC 22 to escape the marilith's grip!]

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus listens to the rambling of the unusual gnoll with a stoic expression, devoid of emotion. At the extension of the flind's palm, Sejanus hesitates, but then steps forward in a quick and percise step, and grabs the muscular gnoll's forearm in an archaic grasp.

Just as sharply, the crimson-armored soldier, withdraws closer to the hole in the stonework, his focus split between the bizarre gnoll and the events above.

Returining his gaze upon "the Masked Gnoll", Sejanus speaks in sharp, clipping sounds (reminiscent of shields smashing in combat):

"Sejanus Praetorian am I. There is not time for more -but perhaps later. The Demons are our common enemy. We may have cause for alliance. Who is in command of this group?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Once again, the cat-voice appears in Sejanus' mind.

Just remember, this is not an army. Force the rules of an army on this group, and you take away their efficiency. Think of that when asking questions like the last one.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will go to slip out of the fiends grip.*

15 Bonus for Reflex to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 32.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes slips easily from the tanari's grip, and laughs down at her.*
"Foolish fiend! You think you could keep a grip on the great Blackthornes! I am a king among theives even in this pit you call home!"
*Blackthornes then looks up at Saath, and speaks with a fearful tone*
"Saath.....PULL FASTER!"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The marilith gives out a strange sound that seems like a mixture of barking and screaming. She hits in empty air with her hand, then stares at the wall.
Slowly, she touches the wall, then her hand begins to disappear in the stone. With a grin, she bends forward, disappearing in the wall - then suddenly pulls herself back with a scream.

Angrily, she looks upwards, probably considering her next step of action.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus gives only a pendantic response to the feline-like voice:

"All are engaged in the conflict of power. Disorder is by far a greater inefficiency. De facto or De jure, there must be a hierarchy of power -even if they do not realize what it is."

Coming to a rapid conclusion that he will garner no expediant answer from the gnoll, Sejanus glances to the activities above -not only to watch and study the actions of the other members of the gnoll's "group", but also to moniter the actions of the vrocks.

Nevertheless, Sejanus holds his position and readiness to strike.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian sets Azure on the wall, and calls out to the group.
"Right! If anyone here has a holy weapon, or something that effects incorporeal foes, get ready to use them! Its only a matter of time before that Phantasmal Fiend finds a way in, and we should be ready."

Ian crouches down, and slides down the rope he tied to the tope of the wall. Upon reaching the bottom, he looks at the armored figure.

"I'm afraid our time is a little short for introductions, how far do you think we can travel underground?" Ian asks.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus gives a nod of satisfaction and comprehension at the clip, efficient remark by the lithe figure -especially in contrast to the gnoll's remarks.

Locking his golden eyes with Ian, Sejanus responds in kind:

"The tunnel runs a few hundred yards below the city. At its other terminus, there is a metal disc set into the cieling. In the disc's center is a shape reminiscent of a lightning bolt."

And then with a subtle motioning to the skies:

"I will hold the pass into the tunnel here until all of your group is safely below."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian walks over to the wall and whistles to get their attention. "Come on down, I have a plan."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

You are not as simple as you present yourself, the cat-voice replies to Sejanus.

Meanwhile, another lightning strike hits the city - no more than a hundred yards away, exploding another rotten building. A short scream can be heard, followed by another lightning hitting the same place. For seconds, ear-deafening thunder fills the tower and its surrounding space.

Those still on the top of the wall get another chance at seeing the countless vrocks attacking the city - and it seems like they do actually avoid the area around the tower. While vrocks seem to be everywhere else, none of them comes closer than thirty yards to the tower.

The phantom marilith obviously has no reason to avoid the building, though. Keeping the three heads in one hand, she uses her other hands to get a grip on the stone wall. Slowly, she begins climbing up the tower.

One of the other mariliths watches her with a grin, then also approaches the tower. The one besides her stares at the planewalkers on top of the tower wall, then bends down to grab one of the silvery snakes - and throws it in their direction.

The snake flies through the air, then hits the top of the wall - that is, it hits the wall about an inch below Saath's feet. The wriggling snake falls down on the ground again, and the throwing marilith hisses angrily.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: I know that Saath hasn't posted yet, but am I up on the wall yet? It shouldn't have taken that long, and I will climb to help him pull me up faster.

3 Bonus for Climb to do
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 12.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: Yes, you're up on the tower wall.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk grabs the rope that Ian used to get down, and follows him into the tunnel entrance.

"We should hurry!" he says to the group below. "I think we'll have a whole bunch of mariliths in here soon!"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

*Blackthornes will also go down the rope.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As Naruk reaches the tunnel entrance, he gives Sejanus a queer look. "Greetings. Am I guessing right that you're from Acheron?"

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Lastly, Saath also comes down.

"There'd better be a way out." He then notices Sejanus. "Err, hi?"

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: were has Azure been? He hasn't posted in a while now, I hope he does soon.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[OOC: No idea, I've sent him a mail, though. Let's hope he comes back soon!]

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

[Sorry folks...life.:(]

Azure drew out his bow the moment his feet touched the top of the wall, quickly notching a cold iron tipped arrow. He keept an eye on the sky, but since none of the vrocks were swooping in, had no cause to draw. He will wait until Blackthornes reaches the top of the wall and climbs down, still watching for any airborne attack, before sliding down the rope himself.

Azure, being the last boots to hit the ground, looks at the towering figure with obvious trepidation, but glaces back up toward the lightning-riven sky with outright fear.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"Alright folks, roll call on holy weapons, magical weapons that can hit incorporeal foes, and spellchuckers. If that means you, step forward and tell me what we have to work with." Ian says.

"Everyone else, I'm going to need you to scout out the tunnel. And I mean right now. If there isn't another exit, we may have to make our own. And I don't know about you, but I could stand to get a head start right about now."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Naruk steps forward. "Neither weapon nor spells - yet -, but I have a few tricks from my Guvner training that will help... I hope. It's more for buying us a bit of time than actually defeating foes, though."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

As the entire group stands inside the tower now - or rather, in the tunnel entrance below -, their range of sight covers only little of the sky now. As crimson light illuminates the area once more, they cannot see the lightning strike, but it seems to be closer than the last one. Booming thunder swallows all other sounds for a long second.

A moment later, a silvery snake is thrown over the tower wall, and hits the ground in the middle of the group with a SPLAT!
Despite the sound, the snake seems to be still alive, squirming and writhing.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian suddenly lunges at the snake and starts slashing at it with his sword.

OOC: attack: 9+11= 20
Damage 2+6 = 8

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

The sword easily cuts the snake in two - and the creature stops moving instantly.

Disgusting brown and yellow fluids ooze out of the two snake pieces where they have been cut, and a smell like rotting rutterkin fills the air.

A few drops of the fluids are stuck on Ian's sword.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian wipes the goo off as best he can on the surrounding rubble. and then stops... and looks at the rubble.

Ian grins impishly. "I have an idea that might buy us some time, but my previous orders need doing first. All the time in the world is useless to us unless we have a away out. And things look a bit grim on our chances of fighting our way out."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Ian notices he can't wipe off any of the goo on his sword.

Meanwhile, the mariliths's head appears on top of the tower wall - the fiend has climbed the outer side of the tower.

Finwe's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2005-07-09
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

"I can use the Tanar'ri cold iron weakness against them, but I've got nothing on incorporeals."

Saath calls forth his mind blade and shapes it into something bigger, while trying to ignore the stink.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Sejanus nods in affirmative to Naruk's comment -to each of the group, he scans, searching for clues of each's relative power and items. However, his main focus is on Ian -clearly the commander of the group.

[OOC: could everyone give me brief visual description of their characters, please?]

To Ian's question, Sejanus wills his massive blade to once more transmute to Cold Iron, and then sharply replies -though respect shading his tone -clearly appreciating the tactical reasoning and intelligence of the thin man:

"I have limited abilities to make my attacks infused with holy power, though my blade can be cold iron as I will. Against incorporeal or undead, my efficiency is less."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

OOC: Blackthornes is short, with long dark hair. He wears an all blue outfit over leather armor, and he has bright yellow eyes. He has a very small, almost unnoticable, pair of horns on his forhead. He carries a shortbow and a tiger claw. He also carries a rapier.

Azure's picture
Offline
Factol
Joined: 2006-05-17
Game: Great minds think alike (Part II)

Azure Twilight is a thin elf, ~5'6", with dark skin and pale silvery hair. He wears high quality black leather armor with the design of a longsword entwined by ivy vines.

Azure draws back his bow and fires at the face of the marilith peeking over the tower wall.

12 Bonus for ranged attack to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 26.
Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.