This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1738 posts / 0 new
Last post
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia takes the masked flind by the arm and whispers, "It's all right now. I am sure everything can be explained away."
*She then lets go of the flinds arm and walks down into the room below next to Ian*

OOC: when we get into the room

20 Bonus for Spot Check to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 26.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: yeah, i'll do the same

12 Bonus for spot check to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 24.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: Ophelia, you takae the -1/10' penalty regardless of light conditions. Everyone does.

Ohalian sneaks along, towards the room.

Hide:

20 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 38.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Move Silently

15 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 26.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

OK, since I saw the door open I am now looking to see if something just came in or went out. I will add the -5 distraction and a -1 for 10 feet into my mod. (I figure that the stairway isn't that long, so you should be at lest 10 feet away if not less)

Nick, is there a penalty besides distration that I need to take for a listen check?

14 Bonus for spot to do
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 18.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

You'll get the distance penalty on Listen checks as well.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: ok gotcha nick Laughing out loud

My listen check includes a -1 10 foot penalty check and a -5 distraction penalty check, just like on my spot check.

14 Bonus for listen check to do
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 27.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

"Um, guys? I think I still hear something... but... no maybe it is nothing. Nevermind," Ophelia whispers to all.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian turns toward Ophelia and smiles. " First you're seeing things, now your hearing them? Lady, you keep this up and its off to the Gatehouse for you!" He says jokingly.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

"wait, maybe she does hear something"

OOC: listen check, with -6 penalty

11 Bonus for listen to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 25.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*first she looks worridly at Ian then smiles*
"If I am going I will take you with me," she whispers jokingly back.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian, still smiling, points to the door.
"Im going to go talk to Chaard now, because as much fun as this conversation is, we're still in the hall that reminds me of some Yugoloth art that I've been trying to forget for a while now."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia walks through the door and into the room*

OOC: Since we keep getting interupted just going down the hallway, I am going to make another spot check for the room.

20 Bonus for Spot Check to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 29.
blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

"Ok, well im going in as well."

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

trying to regain his composer, the masked gnoll walks into the room with his head held as high as possible.

Can't let Chaard know i'm not a feirce vigilante......there'll be no work for me if he does

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: were has joyblood been over the last few days?
and were is Ashy? does anybody know?

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: I don't know... I was thinking the same thing since we can't really go ahead anymore with the story until joyblood posts... and as to where Ashy is I have no idea either. Puzzled

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Sorry for my silence - my girlfriend has moved into my place just today, and besides that, I have to finish an important project this week. I haven't forgotten about you, tho, but was watching your discussion. I'll post more tomorrow.

@Ophelia - as for your mail - I'm ashamed I HAVE forgotten it. I'll care for it tomorrow, too.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The group enters the room where Charrdh awaits them, leaving the staircase with the bleeding wound in the wall behind them. Charrdh closes the door and turns to a large, brown table with a variety of papers and scrolls on it.

The room itself is large, round with a single door leading to the staircase. A couple of cupboards stream the walls, each of them filled with books and small cases. A single mirror right behind the table rests on the wall.

Ophelia inspects the room cautiously. At first glance, she doesn't see anything specific... but then, she notices the mirror is framed with tiny symbols, and the image in the mirror seems to be a bit more alive than it should...

"So then," says Charrdh, "you came here for the globe? Is this true or just a cover story to get in touch with me?"

He sits down on a comfortable wooden chair behind his table, looking at each member of the group.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Well sir," Ian begins. "Yes, and no. You see, While I am here about the orb, I regretfully inform you that the story about my brother is false. In fact, I doubt I have a brother. I am merely curious about the contents of the orb. While I have been unable to discern its contents, I spoke with a patron who thought he had, and was under the impression that it was dangerous."
Ian glances back at the door.
"Am I right in assuming that there is a connection between the orb and the occurance on the stairway? If so, I wish to help you, if at all possible, with your problem in exchange for a reasonable sum, and a little information as to the contents of the orb."

Diplomacy check: 14+16= 30
OOC: I wouldn't doubt this guy to have detect lies or detect thoughts up, or something along those lines. By the way, is my detect magic still up? It cant have been more then three or four rounds since I cast it. If so, what am I picking up in the room?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Detect magic is still on, but you don't see anything magical besides the equipment of the characters.]

"You speak openly, so I will do the same. The orb contains a fiend. I've captured the orb by myself, down in Avernus, and brought it over here - definitely good for my business. The fiend inside is definitely frozen - even my most powerful magic couldn't detect even a glimpse of consciousness. Now, those occurrences... there have been a couple pf weird things in the last few days. It began with nightmares, then turned to things happening with the building - you experienced the most spectacular of it yourself. My assumption is that there's another fiend doing his work here. Now, I AM capable of handling a fiend myself, but I don't have the time for another journey... what I seek right now is someone to find out who or what EXACTLY is in the orb."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

A Bataazu trapped in Ice? Where have I hear that before...

"So, the contents of the orb are as much as mystery to you as they are to us? That will make things more difficult."
That man in the Dragon Mask, he seemed to have an idea of whats going on. Might be a good place to start.
" Do you know of a patron who was here earlier today? He woe a dragon mask, with rubies for eyes. He told me that the orb was dangerous. Whether he knew it was a fiend, or knew more about it, I don't know. But he may be a good place to start."

OOC: Theres nothing magical in here? Not even the mirror? thats odd.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"The contents of the orb are not entirely a mystery to me... I do know it's a fiend, and I do know it's a male one, AND I do know he must have been powerful. And finally, I do know he was not missed by anyone - I found him in the midst of an iceberg, miles deep below the ground. And to stop questions right away, I had a spell that gave me and my companions the ability to travel through ice."

Charrdh thinks for a moment, then continues. "I don't know of any man with a mask, but maybe I could tell you more if I knew the face behind that mask. But before we go on - are you and your companions interested in the task? And if so, what about the price?"

[OOC: I know it's odd Smiling ]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

FIENDS.....out of all the beings it could have been, it had to be fiends....

after thinking hard for a few moments the masked gnoll comes up with a what seems like a good idea for getting his name out

"I will help you out, but not for mere jink, i would like you to recomend my services to all your patrions as a masked vigilante."

a small smile apears under the mask

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

A damnable fiend! I knew this was going to get me into trouble! Now I know I have heard of a fiend in ice before, but surely this can't be....

"Well kind sir, I am willing to help you find out what type of fiend this is, for a price...." whispers Ophelia.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Ah yes, the price..."
Damn!I only know how to calculate the price for assasinations, maybe it will be the same...
Ian calls the group over for a hudle. If everyone comes over, he says "Okay, 4000 for each of us, half now, half later. Plus he covers expenses. No sense us spending our hard earned money on the job itself."
He smiles. " That sound good for all of you? Or do you want to push for more?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia goes over to the huddles and listens to Ian. After he is done speaking she whispers,"I think that is a fair price, as long as he covers all expences."

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: Dang, I know who this is too, and i didn't take knowledge of planes as a skill, damn! I canuse just my INT bonus, right?
Wow, frozen ice? that sounds distinctly fimiliar
*to fidrikon, in the huddle*
"this situation looks fimiliar to me, I think I may know the fiend in there. But yes, those prices sound good to me"
*to Charrdh, comming out of the huddle*
"You think another fiend is running these things, are you sure that it is not him? And by him, i mean the fiend on ice."

OOC: i'm gonna make a knowledge(planes) check to see if i know who the fiend is:

1 Bonus for knowledge(plane to do
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 13.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

But how to pay for a lost soul?

The thought came out of nothing into Ophelias mind.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Blackthornes remembers he's heard something about powerful fiends - possibly beyond the power of pit fiends, even - frozen in the ice of Baator. What he also remembers, though, is the fact that those stories were not related to Avernus, a layer of fire and heat.

Charrdh shakes his head. "No way. If he's alive at all, he's in a slumber deeper than the ninth pit itself. Not the least hint of consciousness. Maybe a servant, though - or an enemy."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Charrdh turns to the gnoll. "As for your wish, that can be done easily. Attractions of any kind are good for my business, so I wouldn't even mind if we organize a little event for you to present yourself to my customers - after the task at hand is fulfilled, naturally."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian, thinking over his inforation, looks up.
"Wait, you said the Iceberg itself was deep below Anvernus? Is it possible that you managed to burrow far enough beneath Anvernus as to breach into another layer of Baator? Stygia, Maybe?"
Ian takes a deep breath. "While I severely doubt that you accidently captured the lord of that realm, It is possible that a number of lesser fiends are trapped there as well."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Charrdh shakes his head. "No - it was Avernus. The iceberg is in the center of a steaming sea. One of my companions pondered about the symbolism all the time, but I'm a business blood and don't care much about symbols - unless you consider coins a symbol, too. If you accept the challenge, I can get you somewhat close to the mentioned sea, and I'll give you two scrolls, one to get over the sea, and one to travel through the ice. Apart from that, you'll be on your own."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"I accept the assignment, on these conditions... First, Our fee is 4000 gold per person. 2000 now, 2000 later. This fee is non-negtotiable. Second, any equipment purchesed in relation to the successful conclusion of this expedition is payed for by you. This is as negotiable as the fee. Third, before we depart, I would like to copy any documents you, or those that traveled with you, made concerning this expedition. Specifically any information about the orb, the area around it, and a log, by you, of the odd occurences that have taken place since you took possesion of the orb. This, unlike the others, is negotiable, but in the end it may provide an insight into certain matters."
Ian looks back at the party. "I hope everyone involved will find this satisfactory?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Charrdh nods, twiddling with his left ear. "Sounds reasonable to me. As for the documents, I'll send you over to one of my companions, he has made a few scribblings. Equipment... I accept that with a limit of ten thousand gold pieces for each of you, and I want a proof for each payment - and of course, if you invest things in equipment obviously not needed for the journey, I won't pay it."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian smiles. "Understandable. I believe that concludes the most of the hard business, unless another of my group has any objections."
"So, where may I find this compaion of yours?"

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

After he hears the explanation of the happenings, and the agreement upon the price, Ohalian slips back upstairs to report the paydata to the naked kobold.

Hide:

20 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 32.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Move Silently:

15 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 32.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia suddenly whispers loudly, "But how to pay for a lost soul?"

She looks like she has seen better days, and a single tear runs down her face... then suddenly she snaps back, eyes clear as midnight.

"What were we talking about again? Oh yes, this precious fiend we have here. Our price has been negotiated then?" she asks. Waiting for no reply she whispers, "Of course it has, I am sorry. Where are my manners. We will leave as soon as I can gather my belongings, and as soon as the rest of us can gather our belongings. Just hand us over the papers and the money, thank you very much." The single tear drops to the floor unnoticed by Ophelia herself.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: To shorten things a bit, I made the necessary rolls myself over here.]

Ohalian manages to open the door to the stairway unnoticed and slips out of the room. The first thing he notices is that the gaping wound in the wall is gone. Still, he feels somehow uncomfortable at this certain place.

After walking up the stairs, he enters the bar again, unnoticed by anyone. Nothing much has changed in the room – with the exception that the group of kobolds are gone. Only after a few moments, Ohalian notices the naked kobold lying on the floor besides a table. He is bloody all over, and Ohalian is unsure whether he is still alive.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

*to ian, quietly*
"I am thinking that you are on the same page as me on the true origin of this fiend, but if it is as I think, aren't we all at great risk, if i remember correctly, that fiend was put there by a more powerful fiend....."
OOC: Knowledge check?

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

*to ian still*
"....but i could be wrong."
*to all*
"so, are we all ready to ship off?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

"As soon as we get our papers and money from this kind sir here. Of course we will be," Ophelia whispers with a smile.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian scans the kobold with his motion sensor, to see whether the little reptile man's heart is still pumping.

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

my first real vigilante job! i'm so excited!

"WATCH OUT EVIL DOERS THERE'S A NEW HERO IN TOWN AND HIS NAME IS THE MASKED GNOLL"(sreamed very loud with obviously no idea of the danger he's about to face)

how hard can this be? the thing's frozen in ice......

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia sighs at the "Masked Gnoll"*

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian claps his hand together.
"Well then, If you will just give me the name and address of your companion,
I think we will depart to retrieve these documents. Depending on where he is, we'll swing back through the market ward, and check out some supplies for this assignment."
"When we return later this evening, I hope that your log of the recent anomolies will be complete, and I hope that we will each give you a list of neccessary equipment. In the morning, provided that we have all that we need, I hope to depart, assuming we have already recieved our 2000 gold in advance." Ian smiles. "I hope that this is satisfactory, I would like to set out as soon as possible, before the occurences surrounding the orb begin to appear in public, and frighten off your patrons."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: I'm a bit stressed right now, but I'll reply within the next 24 hours.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Blackthornes, I made a knowledge check for you, but your character doesn't remember any further helpful information.]

Charrdh watches the gnoll with a quite startled look. As Ian addresses him, he seems to snap out of a minor shock, shakes his head and focusses on the discussion. It seems he prefers not looking at the gnoll any further.

"That thing with the address is a bit tricky, but I'll give you something else instead."
Charrdh opens a folder of his desk, and takes out a small bird, a colourful creature - orange and red mostly - with large, intelligent eyes. The bird seems to be totally fine, despite having been "stored" in a desk.

"When you leave the tavern, move a few streets away, then tell the bird to carry you to Sheeram the Vampire Hunter. The bird will do the rest. As for the money, all I ask you is to sign a standard Planewalker's Contract as given by the Fraternity of Order. Good new invention, if you ask me. When you've signed it, I'll get the money for you right away."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Ohalian is still cloaked, right?]

Ohalian can see that the kobold is still alive. As he scans the kobold, another figure appears at his side: A tall man, a human as it seems, in fine brown leather clothes. "You had business with him, right? Doesn't seem to be your best day... or his. You still need him?"

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.