This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1738 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Standard contract, eh?" Ian looks it over, reading through to make sure that there are no problems.

OOC: if there's anything in the contract that Ian has to look over, could you please post some of the more suspicious areas? If there's no problem with it, just say so.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia looks closley over the contract*

OOC: same goes for me, anything out of the ordinary contract and I want to talk to Charrdh about it.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Charrdh hands over a three pages long paper, written in fine handwriting. Everyone looking at the contract notices a curious effect: The letters change, obviously adapting to the reader... and everyone sees the contract in his or her native language.

The words of the contract are as complicated as expected by Guvner material, but to anyone without deeper knowledge of the law, it seems to be a standard contract. The most unusual part is that Charrdh seems to have some kind of financial backing by the Fraternity of Order in case he'll be betrayed.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

*blackthornes looks it over, and signs it*
"ok, that'll do! is everybody ready to move out or what?

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia, after carefully reading it, signs it*

"Well, that's it for me.." I've signed away my soul, she thinks, "I am ready to gather my belongings from my place," she whispers.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

If I wasn't already damned, I'd probably be more worried. Ian thinks to himself.

He signs the contract and looks up. "Well then, I think we should be on our way. Have our money ready by the time we get back, if you please."

Ian gently picks up the small bird, sets it on his shoulder, and grins.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian is a bit startled by the man.

"Yes, I had ongoing business with him. I don't need him so much as desire the remainder of my pay for the job that I performed for him. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to fix him up so that I can collect my pay."

He will then walk over to the fallen kobold and tries to fix him up with his multi-tool.

OOC: Stabilize a Dying Character is DC 15, I've got a +4 bonus for Treat Injury, and will keep trying until he either dies or stabilizes. He will then restore d4 HP with another DC 15 Treat Injury check (taking 20 if need be), then restore him to consciousness with another DC 15 Treat Injury check, if neccessary.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia signals for another huddle for the four of us. If you all come to the huddle you will hear her say:*

"Well, I need to go back to my place to get my things together. Unless you want to go down the street a few blocks with me to pick them up, I suggest that we all meet in the marketplace near the food vendors in about a half an hour," she whispers to them. "What do you all say?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian enters the huddle, trying to keep the bird from toppling.
"Thats a good idea. You all probably didn't expect to be leaving in the next couple days. Run back to your homes, water your razorvine, get someone to feed to fish while your gone, and grab anything you might need. Remember: expect to end up a bunch of places you didn't plan on going. I can't remember the last time I left the cage and didn't end up on at least two planes that wern't in the game plan."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"You can have your money right away," Charrdh replies. "Just wait here a minute and I'll get it for you."

Without waiting for a reaction, Charrdh turns to the mirror behind the desk, touches one of the symbols and - enters the mirror. Instead of the mirror's glass, a whirling, flashing light can be seen, and Charrdh walks through it.

The mirror is only half as large as Charrdh, and it appears as if Charrdh turns into liquid and is sucked into the light. Only a second later, the portal closes again.

Ohalian cares for the kobold for a few minutes, which is no easy task considering that the bar room is still full of people. After a while, the kobold opens his eyes, alive but obviously exhausted.

"That good..."
The man in brown leather stands near Ohalian once more.
"You make him well, blood. Would you mind if I follow you?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia watches in wonder as Charrdh goes through the looking glass (no pun intended Laughing out loud )*

"What in the nine hells?" she quietly whispers.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian sits there for a moment, before recovering. " Well, portals do have that advantage. No lines, no waiting."
Ian looks around at the rest of the party, and points a finger at Blackthornes.
"You, rouge. Don't touch anything. I don't want a perfectly good deal being ruined by itchy fingers."

OOC: Real life beckons! I won't be able to post untill late saturday or sunday morning. Just letting you guys know. try not to get into any fights while im gone.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian is a bit startled by the man.

"Umm... I suppose that would depend on how much privacy Mr. Lizard wants."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"Mr. Lizard?" The man stares at Ohalian with an irritated look. "Who is that? Is that the god you serve?"

The kobold has recovered enough to open his eyes. Nervously, he takes a look around, then cautiosly crawls under one of the tables. He takes no notice of Ohalian, who still has his camouflage activated.

Only moments after Charrdh left, the mirror flashes again, and Charrdh steps back into the room. In his hand, he holds a large chest, completely made of a dark, shimmering metal, with a single ruby set into the center of the chest's top.
Charrdh places the chest on his desk and touches the ruby, after which the chest opens by itself, smooth and silently. "Well then," Charrdh states, "the jink."

Within the chest, four large leather bags can be seen, finely crafted and decorated with ornaments. The bags appear heavy with coins.

[OOC: I'm gone for the weekend, too, but I'll be back on monday.]

dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

a deep sigh is let out from the masked gnolls giant lungs.....

"I can't go home to get my things 'cause i don't have a home. Everything I own i'm allready carrying."

that'll change when i'm a famous vigilante, you all wait and see

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia takes one of the bags and jingles it. It seems to be the right amount, and not wanting to count it in front of Charrdh, she puts it into her belt pouch that looks lik an oversized belt*

"Thanks for the jink Charrdh. See you tonight," Ophelia whispers then smiles pretty at Charrdh.

To the rest of the group,"Well then, see you all in about a half of an hour in the marketplace near the food vendors."

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

'joyblood' wrote:
"Mr. Lizard?" The man stares at Ohalian with an irritated look. "Who is that? Is that the god you serve?"

The kobold has recovered enough to open his eyes. Nervously, he takes a look around, then cautiosly crawls under one of the tables. He takes no notice of Ohalian, who still has his camouflage activated.

"No. It's the guy who just crawled under the table."

Ohalian will then follow the kobold under the table, making no effort to hide.

"I've done the job. Do you still have access to my pay?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The kobold stares at Ohalian with a mixture of irritation and disgust. "Shintyach not knows you. Shintyach not deals with bastard races. Leave Shintyach alone..."

Charrdh nods to the group, obviously satisfied. "Come back then when you are ready to go on your mission. If I'm not around at that time, tell the barkeeper I have told you to meet with Azzin instead. She will be able to send you down to the pits, as well."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Oh great, The Pits, thinks Ophelia.

"Thank you again Charrdh. I am off and I will meet you three later." whispers Ophelia.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"I'll ignore that comment. Not even five minutes ago you hired me to find out what Charrdh, the owner of this tavern, was doing with the money he owed you. I did that, I will report to you and be paid the remainder of the fee we agreed upon. I will be charitable, and assume that the beating you took has given you a degree of amnesia, rather than that you are attempting to get out of paying me. Because that would preove to be a rather... terminal decision for you to make. Understand?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: To everyone in Charrdh's room, I assume the group splits up now - please describe what you're planning to do next and where you'll be heading towards. Of course, it would be nice if a few of the PCs stay together, but it's not a must-be.]

The kobold looks ever more worried - and irritated. "Shintyach not cares about Charrdh, never did. Shintyach's clan hunters." As he speaks, he seems to understand the situation he's in, and his voice becomes higher and higher. "Clan beat Shintyach, clan said he took money from clan and gave to bastard race man. But Shintyach only remembers drinking ale and spoke about next hunt. Charrdh not owes money to Shintyach or to clan. Shintyach no reason to ask you finding out what Charrdh does."

As the kobold finishes, the man in leather kneels down beside the table. "Can I have him now?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian takes his bag of gold, tosses it into the air, and opens the top of the haversack. The bag of gold falls in, but suspiciously doesnt make a sound.
"Well then, I belive that we will be on our way."

Quote:
"I can't go home to get my things 'cause i don't have a home. Everything I own i'm allready carrying."

Ian looks over at the masked gnoll. "I'm in a similar situation. We might as well head out to the market ward together then." He turns to the rest of the group. " While I'm there, I'll see if I can find any good deals."

OOC: I'll hang out with the MG for a while, Ophelia said she's heading home. What about you, blackthornes?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia leaves the tavern and heads to her little place in the Hive*
OOC: I assume the stench is gone?

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: I would assume that unless someone came and cleaned it all up, it still reeks. And I was kinda hoping that we might meet up with Ohalian on the way out. Otherwise, he's likly to spend the entire campaign trailing us. And as intresting as that would be, it would be kinda weird.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Everyone who enters the bar room again can see Ohalian and the kobold talking. As for the man in leather, don't include him in your posting unless I've done before. If anyone leaves the tavern, the stench is still around, but it's slowly fading.

If any PC wants to get in contact with Ohalian, remember you don't know anything about him yet, and while he does stand out a bit (we're in the Hive, after all, and his clothes aren't really cheap stuff), he's not TOO much of an unusual character here.]

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: before I leave I go to the bartender and get a glass of liquor from the bar.

"Make it a double," whispers Ophelia to the bartender.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The bartender takes a look at Ophelia, considering what her taste might be. Then he grabs a bottle with a silverish-blue liquid inside, takes a large wooden mug and fills it to the top.

"'is one's only for peop' Charrdh knows pers'lly, and somehow I think it could fit'r tastes. Makes a silver piece, 'ough."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia hands over 2 silvers*

"One for the bar and one for you my fine friend," Ophelia whispers back.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The bartender gives Ophelia a wide smile and nods. "Rare thing... 'anks mylady." He puts the mug on the bar and turns to other customers, but somehow he seems more relaxed now.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*When the bartender, and well, really when no one is looking, Ophelia does Detect Poison (first level spell & there would be no save on it) on the contents of the glass*

Can't be too carefull these days, she thinks.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Hmm... maybe this is some of that magic I've heard of, though. You seem to be honest enough right now. Goodbye."

When the man in leather asks him if he can have him now, he will respond "Yeah, sure."

He then gets out from under the table. Brilliant. I did the job, but the employer wasn't the employer. I'm glad I asked for half up front, though. Hmm... I wonder if this was the work of that demon in the ic, or someone else? No matter, I have an idea.

He then proceeds to approach the adventurers heading out to the Market Ward.

"Hello, chummers. I hear that there's a demon loose in the tavern. I hear that you're being paid for taking it out. I'm sure that there are people who would pay me to stop you. Unless, of course, you pay me to help you."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia has only a short moment to cast her spell, which shows the liquid is no poison, before a strange humanoid man addresses her and the rest of the group, which is still close to her.

The man has a dull, almost metallic greyish skin, his legs are shaped like that of a cat, and a tail hangs from his rump. His face has strong feline traits, as well, and he wears a black, skin tight suit.

[OOC: This is Ohalian, of course.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

What? Damn! We were being stalked! Hells!
Ian looks the strange cat person up and down before replying. "No offense sir, but blatently telling us that if someone comes along and offers you more money you may very well turn un us isn't the best way to gain my trust. "
Oh well, keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.
"Very well sir, While I cannot assure you that Charred will allow you to come with us, I am prepared to pay you to not work for anyone intent on hindering our efforts. If your know about our mission, I assume you know where we are going. But I already have plans for what equipment I will need for this journey. Any equipment you still need we will either have to pay for yourself, or steal. And keep in mind that if you betray us in the future, I know a variety of fiendish games that our Gnoll friend here can play with your head. "
Ian removes his moeny pouch from deep within his sleeve, and pulls out some coin. "20 gold pieces. No more, no less. Use it to buy yourself some basic equipment, and you will be intitled to a fair share of any profits we come accross along the way."

OOC: Ompah!

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

"this cat doesn't look to bad, i think i may grow to like him."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

"Ok, I guess I will go along with this. Not like we have much choice. But just keep in mind we will be watching you." Ophelia whispers to Ohalian and the group at large. Then she takes a swig so big of her drink that she empties the glass in one gulp. She exhales loudly as though her throaght is on fire.

That sure was some drink. Think I will get it next time I come in here, if there is a next time, she thinks to herself.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

For a short moment, everything turns black... then Ophelia isn't in the bar anymore. Trees... the smell of flowers... fresh wind caressing her face... and elven voices singing happily. This, she knows, is Arvandor, realm of the elves.

As quick as the vision came, it is gone again, and Ophelia is back in the bar room. A sweet taste like fresh water, but also like honey taken right from the Arborean Lover's Bee, stays in her mouth for quite a while.

Everyone else only sees her standing there with an empty gaze for a moment - it seems like the drink was a tiny bit too strong for her.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia sits down abruptly, and looks around a little dazedly*

"Now that is what I call a drink," she whispers.

For a moment, it was like I was at home, she sadly thinks.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian smiles.

"I assure you, once my loyalty is bought, it stays bought. Well, for the rest of the mission, anyway. It's just a matter of how much. As for you initial offer... I would say 1,600 gold up front, 1,600 on completion, and an equal share of the loot would be fair. That's 800 from each of you. I know how much Charrd is paying you. And I assure you, my equipment is much more than basic."

OOC: I would like to point out that he's wearing a black trenchcoat, and the skintight black suit he's wearing has dozens of strange little devices and pouches hanging off of it.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"No deal." Ian says. "For that amount of money, I could hire a small army of henchmen. Most people are satisfied with 2sp a day. Howeever, I sypathize with you, I really do. Thats why Im willing to offer you 200 gold out of my own pocket, in the hopes that the others in my party will do the same. You also gat a share of the loot, access to my personal equipment as long as I am not currently in use of it and I get it back in working condition later, and the amount of money awaiting you at the end of this venture will be determined on your performence."
"And, I promise to tell Charrdh that we have hired you as a guide to Avernus, so that he may find it acceptable to pay you a small sum as well."

"I don't know about the charity of the rest of my party, but I consider this a fair deal for someone who we bumb into on the street. Also, might I ask your name and you plane of origin? I cant say Ive ever seen anyone quite like you."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia recovers from her reverie*
"I will put in 200 jink as well. I think that is a fair offer. 200 gold from each of us, a share in the loot and whatever Charrdh wants to pay you when we return for being a guide, plus the use of Ian's equipment and possibly more jink depending on your performance on this adventure," whispers Ophelia.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

"The dealeo sounds good to me, besides, he looks like a rogue, and that means a friend. Now, i guess it is all up to the gnoll"

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Nope, equal share. I assure you that my skills will be at least equal to your own. Also, I would like to point out that while I'm not claiming to be a guide, I am quite skilled in the arts of stealth and death. The former you saw when I snuck into Charrd's office with you. Or rather, you didn't see it. Understand?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: I am going to be out of town until Monday, so you guys go ahead and deal with this situation. I trust your judgement (as long as you don't make me pay him by myself Sticking out tongue ).

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Skilled in the arts of stealth and death, you say?" Ian trys not to smile.
"I'll admit, you may have picked up a trick or two across the way, but its going a long way to say your skilled in the ways of stealth and death to a professional Assassin."
"And while In the arts of stealth and death I hold my trade, I wonder. How good are you at catching those in stealth? Because that is a skill in which I must admit I am found wanting, as you have pointed out."
"And I made no such move as to assum you to be a guide. Merely to presume that we tell Chaardh that you are a guide. I assure you, between our gold to you, and Charrdhs gold to you, I would think that the total sum may even exceed your previously stated expectations."
"And if you have anything in particular that you wish to buy, and I approve, I will buy it for you, on the condition that I may use it myself in the future, as long as it is not currently in use by you."

OOC: Diplomacy check: Roll= 17+16(mod)= 33
By the haggling rules in Complete Adventurer, If I win, than the price for his goods and/or services droppes by 10%. So in this case, lets just say I hagglehim down to the offered deal.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: I agree in this case. Remember, though, that good roleplaying can help, too, and there might always be other elements you aren't aware of when making a roll. So, the final decision is made by me. nick, your roll please Smiling ]

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: What do I roll? Diplomacy? If so, it is impossible for me to beat him, what with my -2 modifier. And BTW, my boast about my deting abilities is backed up. My motion sensor allows me to detect all motion within 100'. That would include the flowing of internal fluids, given that it can detect stuff through walls.

"An assassin? I admit that while I have done wetwork jobs in the past, I prefer not to specialize. The shadows can only want so many people dead at a time. Being willing to perform thefts or corporate extractions widens the jobs available considerably. As for my abilty to detect the hidden, if it moves, I can see it. If its heart is beating, I can see it. As for the payment, very well."

I hope that this will be enough for my share of the rent...

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Very good then! As per our agreement, here is your 200 gold." Ian says, handing him the money.
"Alright everybody, lets pay the man and be on our way." Ian says to the rest of the party.
He Turns back to Ohalian. "We are meeting near the food vendors in the market ward in half an hour. After that, we purchase supplies, and we will be returning here for the night. If you need to collect anything from your home, collect it now. Expect to be gone for a few days."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

A filthy, old man approaches the group, staring at the bag of money given to Ohalian. Bugs are crawling through his arm-long, dirty beard, and he smells no better than the dirty streets outside.

"You... you are planewalkers, yes? I'm ... I've been out of business for a while, but... I'm still capable... I have experience on each and every Outer... I... only 50 gold every tenday, plus anything I need to buy to survive... I'm a real blood, believe me, I've seen it all out there... and I know the tricks to survive. It's only Sigil I don't get along with, that's why... why..."
Suddenly he stops, taking a deep breath. "Please, take me with you."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"experience on each and every outer plane, eh?" Ian says. "Well then, what do you know of Avernus? Cause thats where we are heading. If you don't feel like running away from fiends for a week, I reccomend you stay here."
Ian looks at the man for a moment longer. "Or if you really need to get out of Sigil that badly, Im sure we can find you a portal to one of the upper planes. I hear Bytopia is nice this time of year."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"First thing," the man replies, "you don't run from fiends. If you have to, you've done something horribly wrong in the first place. Second, there's three major things to care for when in Avernus: Protect yourself from fireballs, have a group invisibility which still allows you to sense each other, and have a mental protection to make sure noone senses your thoughts and stuff. See... I'm no addle-cove bubber telling stories to get some jink... I am a former planewalker trying to get back into business and escape the lethargy of Sigil."

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.