This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1738 posts / 0 new
Last post
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Suddenly, Ohalian notices the man in leather at his side again. "You did good on Mr. Lizard. Thank you. May I follow you?" He takes a look around, then stares at the dirty old man for a second. "Can I have him?"

[OOC: Nobody except of Ohalian notices the man in leather.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Almost forgot - nick: Yes, roll for diplomacy. If you can't beat him, it just shows how much better Ian is when it comes to diplomacy. On the other hand - we're talking about player characters here. You should consider the result of your roll as a "guideline" on how to continue playing, but you don't have to turn Ohalian into a humbled servant Eye-wink ]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian, a look of genuine surprise on his face, replies. " I knew about the fireballs, and I guess the invisibility makes sense, but I must admit I didn't know about the thought-protection."
"Allright, your in. We're just heading out now, to the market ward for supplies. If you need to collect anything before you go, get it now, and meet us in the market ward, by the food vendors, in half an hour."
Why is it even though Chaardh is the employer, I'm paying half the party? Ian thinks to himself.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

A wide grin appears on the man's face. "Naruk's the name. I'll be there in time. As for getting stuff... I don't really have any money left. But... I can make another offer. I can... I can get a scroll for each of us telling we're invited guests of some Baatorian fiend. It won't be true, but it could help in some situations... at least, combined with a good deal of diplomacy. I know the price is fifty gold for each scroll, but the creature creating them is... somewhat dangerous. My offer is, I'll get the scrolls for seventy five each."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: I thought about the diplomacy rolls again. nick, since your arguments are backed up by facts, you'll get a +5 modifier on your roll.]

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"I don't think that'll be needed. I just figured that If any Bataazue got too close for comfort, I would tell them that we were under contract to deliver a slave to one of the markets in Dis." Ian says, pointing to Blackthornes.
"Of coarse, it wouldn't be true, but the documents would be easier to fake."

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the man in leather, scanning him with his sensors, trying to detect any weapons or dangerous chemicals on him.

"Umm... what? What do you mean?"

I've taken the coin for a job, so now I've got to do my best to make sure it works, and be discreet about it. If this guy is a threat to the job, I've have to eliminate him. If not, I'll have to figure out some way to give him the slip.

3 Bonus for diplomacy to do
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 17.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian focusses on his sensors to scan the strange man in leather... but, surprisingly, he doesn't seem to exist. His eyes show him the man is there, right in front of him, but his sensors don't detect anything.

"The dirty man. Can I have him? And, can I follow you?"

"Easier to fake, yes," the old man replies. "But also less effective to impress the fiends. If you lack an impressive name on the document, there's a good chance they will check if it's true. Of course, the name also shouldn't be too impressive - or they just won't believe it, anyway. See... the documents I'm speaking of have worked any time I heard they've been used... and I know more than a dozen cases."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia hands Ohalian her part of the lump sum, 50 gold pieces*
"Ok, I say we get the documents. It can be listed as part of our equipment. What do you all say?"

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian seems somewhat distracted when Ophelia hand him the money, and pockets it without comment. He then pokes the man in leather, to see if he's actually there, or if he's just an image in Ohalian's mind.

OOC: Out of curiosity, how many HP do the other PCs have (both currently, and at maximum)? My medicomp sensor will let me know this.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

"here you go good sir"
*hands Ohillian the money*

*To ian, outside the group*
"Hey, should we ask this old timer if he knows anything about the old man in the ice or what, I mean he could know what we are dealing with."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: I'm extremely busy right now, I'll reply again on thursday.]

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: nick, all PCs have their maximum HPs currently. The exact values are:
- Blackthornes: HP: 98
- Ian (Fidrikon): HP: 100
- Ophelia: HP: 74
- The Masked Gnoll (dread pirate swan): HP: 120]

Ohalian pokes the man, who seems to be as real as Ohalian himself. The man takes a step back und says with a slightly irritated voice: "Is this an aggression of yours?"

[OOC: To everyone else, Ohalian just pointed his finger into the empty air.]

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia whispers to the rest of the group (everyone that was in the room below not counting Ohalian), pointing discretely to Ohalian, "And you all thought I was barmy."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian points a finger at the Masked Gnoll.
"Barmy? Why?" Ian says before breaking out into a grin.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia giggles quietly*

"Well should we all be off now? And we are getting the documents, correct?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Ah, yes."
Ian turns to Naruk. "Those documents will come in handy, thank you."
"And unless we have further business here, it's time to go."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"Wonderful," Naruk replies. "See you in half an hour at the food vendors then." He hesitates for a second. "And... thank you."
With that, he turns around and leaves the bar.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia bids goodbye to the others, promising to meet them at the food vendors in about a half of an hour, and then leaves for her tiny apartment*

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the others.

"I'm new to all of this magic stuff, so can you answer a question for me? Can it make something that looks, feels, and sounds like a person, but isn't actually there?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian looks at him, confused for a moment.
"I think some of the more powerful illusions create images made to fool all the senses, not just sight. So I don't see why not."

" Why? You having an idea?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man in leather observes the discussion, his look getting more and more angry... yet he doesn't say anything, waiting for what Ohalian does.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"I ask because I'm seeing and hearing a man standing right there", pointing to the man in leather, "but my... devices that detect living beings are not detecting anything there. So either I'm developing schizophrenia, which is not a nice thought, or someone's using magic."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man relaxes, shaking his head and smiling. "Stupid. That's all?"

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Did he just call me stupid?

Ohalian then appends the statement he made with "That, or the demon in the ice is messing with my head."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian looks to where Ohalian is pointing (I assume he sees nothing)

Ian reaches back to the wooden pole sticking a couple feet out of his haversack. He pulls it out, which takes far longer than you would think. In his hand is a wooden pole, roughly 10 ft in length.

Ian uses the end of the pole to prod through the area that Ohalian was pointing toward.

"Tell me, Is it passing through him?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Right, Ian doesn't see him.]

As Ian pulls out the pole, the man in leather steps aside, until he stands right beside Ohalian. Ian's pole sticks into the empty air, and the man observes him with curiosity. "You have strange companion. Can I have him?"

Blackthornes is the first to notice that the actions of the others in the group draw the attention of the other patrons. More and more people turn around, looking at what they're doing - some smiling or even pointing fingers at them, others probably hoping for some kind of spectacle to entertain them...

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian, if you needn't draw the attention of everyone in the bar, I would like it if we didn't start a bit of entertainment for them....... They are thinking you may be a little barmy yourself i'd say."

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Who cares if they think I'm barmy! I didn't pay good money to hire a guy to NOT know if he's crazy or not. "
Ian lowers the pole for a moment and looks at Ohalian. "Not that its a problem if you are, of course. It's just I have to know, you see."
Ian raises the pole again, and continues to prode the area where he thinks the man in leather is (which is the wrong place, but I dont know that).
"So, am I passing through him or not?"

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

When Ian pulls out the pole, Ohalian replies, "No, he moved right here," and grabs the man in leather's shoulder.

When Blackthornes points out that they're drawing attention, Ohalian replies "Good point. Lets get going, and figure out what's going on outside."

When the man in leather asks if he can have Ian, Ohalian replies "What the frag is that supposed to mean, anyway?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

As Ohalian grabs the man's shoulder, the man reacts with an unbelievable speed, hitting Ohalian's arm with his bare hands...

20 Bonus for ( secret :) ) to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 22.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

... but his hit doesn't come through Ohalian's natural armour, having no real effect.

Looking at Ohalian's hand at his shoulder, the man states, "First, this IS an aggressive action, to which I will respond accordingly. Second, it means collecting from him the information I need to finish my assignment."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia is walking down the street twards her apartment*

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

When the man attacks Ohalian's wrist, Ohalian will look him in the eyes and say, "Don't do that again. Now, what is this assignment are you talking about? Who are you?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"I always react according to input. As for the assignment or my identity, you don't appear to have the proper rights to know."

Ophelia walks down the street, where the dirt and smell slowly becomes less. On her way, she notices a single dabus cleaning the streets with a mop. The Hive is rarely as empty as this... and finally, Ophelia reaches her apartment.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia is on edge as she reaches her apartment. She makes sure one of her hidden daggers is ready to drop into her hand as she gets to the door.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia enters her appartment, finding everything just the way she left. Just as she closes the door, it starts to rain outside.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Phew! Made it just before a storm, she thinks.
*She quickly locks the door behind her seeing that her apartment is all as she left it. She then begins packing her clothes, equipment and everything else she might need. She then straps all of her weapons on over and under her leather armor, puts her pack on and takes one last look around her apartment.*

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Okaay... an invisible, intangible robot.

"Hey, Ian! The man who doesn't exist wants to interrogate you!"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian stops, and puts the pole back in his bag.
"Fine, but not here." Ian says, looking around. "C'mon, we can talk on our way to the market ward."

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Very well."

He looks at the man in leather.

"Come on, if you wan to interrogate him for your mission."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man shakes his head. "I said nothing of interrogation."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*before she steps out of her apartmentr she calls for Hoot, and he somes flying up onto her shoulder.*

Now I have everything a girl could want, she thinks as she scratches Hoot's head.

*She steps out of her apartment and locks it after taking a quick look around.*

20 Bonus for Spot Check to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 27.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the man in leather.

"Asking questions is interrogation. You said you wanted to ask him questions, didn't you?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"I didn't," the man replies. "You seem to be in need of a rework."

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"You said you wanted to get information out of him. How else are you going to get it? Pull it out of his head?"

Editted to remove grammatical errors.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man hesitates, then replies, "You don't have the proper rights to know."

Ophelia walks out to the streets, watching her environment carefully. She does notice a strange humanoid - probably a tiefling or a genasi - with dark brown skin surrounded by an aura of hot air, watching her every step. Another being she notices is a chasme - or at least it looks like a chasme from her point of view. The creature flies high above her looking down onto the streets.

Both beings are a possible source of danger, but both aren't too unusual in the City of Doors, in particular in the Hive.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Uh huh. Well, if you want to get the information you need, you're going to have to tell me how to get it, and if you don't, and it looks like you're trying to hurt anyone in the group, I destroy you. Understand?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"Understood. Who belongs to the group?"

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia keeps her eyes on the tiefling / genasi and the chasme, without being too obvious. She then ducks down a well known alley to her, and hides as soon as she gets around the corner. She pulls her sharp but unnoticable scimitar from it's sheath and waits for a few minutes to see if either is going to follow her down the alley.*

3 Bonus for Hide Check to do
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 10.
Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.