This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: Great minds think alike

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1738 posts / 0 new
Last post
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"The Masked Gnoll, Ian, Ophelia, Blackthornes, the guide we hired, and myself."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

As Ophelia stands there, waiting, she feels more and more uncomfortable. Neither the tiefling nor the chasme seem to follow her, but still... is there something in this alley? She feels watched.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia starts to quietly look around*

20 Bonus for Spot Check to do
I rolled 1d20+20, the result is 31.
joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man in leather nods, then says, "Accepted. Is the group constellation constant or variable?"

Ophelia doesn't see anything... but she notices a presence, definitely more than a trick of her senses. Something IS here, and whatever it is, she doesn't have the impression it's friendly.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia stands up and whispers, "Come out, come out, wherever you are." Holding on to her scimitar, she waits for this thing to show itself.

*OOC: Oh gods, what have I gotten myself into? *

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Umm... variable."

Best to be safe, eh?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

It seems like Ophelia is inside a dark room, and the only door letting light inside is being shut slowly. Within a second, the alley has become dark - almost pitch black. Within the darkness, two eyes appear... large, hateful eyes, surrounded by red flames.

"You are brave not to run while you can," a subtle, almost unhearable voice whispers. An even subtler echo flows through the alley.
"You are brave..."
"brave..."
"while you can..."
"can..."

"Drop your weapon... it will not help you against me..."
"... against me..."

"Do not fear... you will continue to exist... all I want is your blood..."
"Do not fear..."
"fear..."
"blood...."

[OOC: You'll find out quick Smiling ]

"Accepted," the man replies. He takes a close look at every member of the group currently around, as if to remember every little detail about them.

The others in the group get only half of the dialogue - the last they hear is Ohalian saying:

"Come on, if you wan to interrogate him for your mission."

"Asking questions is interrogation. You said you wanted to ask him questions, didn't you?"

"You said you wanted to get information out of him. How else are you going to get it? Pull it out of his head?"

"Uh huh. Well, if you want to get the information you need, you're going to have to tell me how to get it, and if you don't, and it looks like you're trying to hurt anyone in the group, I destroy you. Understand?"

"The Masked Gnoll, Ian, Ophelia, Blackthornes, the guide we hired, and myself."

"Umm... variable."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia casts Dispel Magic Greater (there is no saving throw against it or spell resistance to it) to the area of affect (a 30 foot radius centered on myself, so 60 foot diameter) and it effects up to a caster level 20. As she does this she mentally asks Hoot to fly up above her and whoever else is there, and tell her what he see's.*

OOC: sh*t, I knew I should have just run for it. And remember her scimitar is made out of Ironwood.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The owl flies up from Ophelia's shoulder into the darkness above her. Ophelia can hear the flapping of wings as she casts her spell; as the magic is released from her hands, Hoot is already many feet above her. The spell changes nothing.

The eyes, on the other hand, have come closer - they are no more than a foot away from her, and Ophelia feels a dark presence. Shivers run over her skin, and everything within her calls out for her to run, run, run...

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia runs casting the spell Longstrider on herself as she goes so she goes really fast. She calls mentally for Hoot to follow her out of the alleyway as she goes.*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: What about the group in the bar? Is everyone going to the market or to their homes now?]

Within her mind, Ophelia can feel Hoot's emotions. The owl is confused, almost in panic, trying to follow Ophelia's call but incapable of finding the way back to her.

As fast as Ophelia runs, the eyes stay just as close as they were, always only a foot away... or are they even coming closer, very, very slowly?

The alley should have ended by now, Ophelia should be back on the street where she came from - but she isn't. She's still within the darkness of the alley.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian will go and fill in the others about the discussion with the man in leather.

OOC: I don't beleive that Ohalian has introduced himself. When he does, he will introduce himself as Tigerfury.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia stops running. She turns and faces the eyes.*

She then whispers "What in the Nine Hells do you want from me? You obviously won't let me leave, you are messing with my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!"

*She stands stoically (sp?) considering this adversary, but stands there slightly trembling as well from her emotions.*

**OOC: Thank the gods the boards are up again, I was wondering when I was going to find out what happened to Ophelia.

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

Well, tigerfury, my name is blackthornes, and well, im quick to say that i think get to likin' each other. Now everyone, are we heading to the marketward or not, i'm getting tired of sitting around here."

OOC: wow, i thought my life would end before these bloody boards were fixed, but i guess my hypothesis was incorrect.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian looks around at the other inhabitants of the bar. "Um, we might want to continue this elsewhere. If it helps matters any, I am willing to let him poke around my brain-case for a bit as long as he answerds some questions in return. Information for information, fair trade I say."
Ian stops to consider for a moment.
"But it's strickly 'look, dont touch, got it?"

OOC: Wee, were back. But just in case, roll call. I'd feel better if Joyblood, Nick and The Dread Pirate posted, even if only to say they're still here. I'm kinda worried that people may have driffted away.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man in leather looks at Ohalian. "So, I can have him, although he is a group member?"

The eyes stop moving, just inches away from Ophelia's face.
"Your head?"
Head...
head...

"No... your soul... your blood..."
soul... blood...
soulblood...

"You have touched power, power that exists within me, as well..."
Touched power...
power...

"Make me more real, give me your blood, and I will not harm you further!"

This last sentence is no whisper anymore, but a booming command, and only a single word echoes through the darkness, again and again and again:

Blood.
Blood.
Blood.
Blood.
Blood.....

[OOC: Yay! Good to be back Smiling ]

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia screams hoarsley "NO! YOU CAN'T HAVE MY SOUL!"

*She then stabs her ironwood scimitar straight to where this thing's heart should be and envokes the daylight spell within the scimitar*

Here below is my roll for hitting this thing.

10 Bonus for using scimitar to do
I rolled 1d20+10, the result is 16.
nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the man in leather.

"Sure, you can have him. Just don't hurt him."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia makes a second stabbing attack with her second attack*

5 Bonus for using scimitar to do
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 9.
dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

staring out into space the last few minutes, the masked gnoll just stands and smiles to himself, oblivious to the recent events unfoldining, all the while mumbling to himself.......

"fiends be gone........fiends be gone...except akin......he can stay.....i like akin.....but the others......my mask itches..."

occ: sorry i've been gone, my duties as a senoir fuel distibution facilatator at the local mobil has kept me pretty busy

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

The man in leather looks at Ohalian, somewhat startled. "I have not yet collected enough data to say which beings are hurt by the procedure and which not, but a part of his essence will be dissolved during analyzation. Is that acceptable?"

There is something that irritated Ohalian all the time about this man... and just now, he realizes what it is. It's not that he appears emotionless... rather, there's no change of emotion. It seems like the way he speaks and acts is an unalterable behaviour, the ONLY way for him to speak and to act. And summed up, that's pretty much the same as being emotionless.

[OOC: To get the story going, I assume the group stays talking on their way as they leave the tavern, okay?]

Ophelia slashes through empty air with her scimitar, not affecting the eyes the least bit. The second slash doesn't hit anything again... but it does result in a change.

The eyes grow angry now, and for a glimpse of a second, Ophelia could see the alley again, the buildings appearing as if they were alive, coming closer, closing down on her, like horrible monsters from a nightmare.

She can hear the scream of an owl nearby just as she sees the alley, but it's gone the very moment everything becomes dark again.

"BLOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!"

The voice screams in rage, echoing a billion times like the roaring of a dragon.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia decides to turn into an Owl (looking just like hoot, a snowy white owl) and flies upward, until she can see the alley again, looking for Hoot, and for the eyes below her*

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"I offered you life", the voice booms, "but now you will die!"

As Ophelias body changes, her vision transforming into that of an owl, she has a short moment of clarity - just at that one point, that peculiar point which she never realized consciously until now, where she is just as much owl as humanoid. And in that short moment, she can see the eyes as what they truly are... an ethereal creation, just a step away from becoming material. In that short moment, Ophelia sees the alley as she knew it, but filled with fog, and within that fog there are figures, victims and their murderers, dead bodies rotting and predators feeding on the dead. And in the center of them all, there are those eyes, strange misty lines leading from each figure to the eyes, the eyes that are staring at Ophelia.

The vision is gone, and Ophelia has become an owl, flying upwards - and crashing into stone only seconds later. There is a wall above her, and she has the strange feeling the buildings of the alley have bent and closed above her.

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia recovers from running into the wall in a rather uncouth manner. She calls for Hoot to come to her frantically in the dark. She tries to fly out of the darkness, searching for some ray of light or some hope that she can make it out. She tries to fly away from those eyes*

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at Ian.

"He says he'll absorb some of your essence, whatever that means. That okay with you?"

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ian, who was currently making his way through the crowd to the door, stops in his tracks. He turns around, his eyes wide. "Exactly how did we jump from reading my thoughts to takeing my essence? What exactly does that mean, anyway? Does it mean he takes a bit of my soul, or does a bit of my personality rub off on him? What? Untill I know what could happen to me afterward, I am definatly conisdering 'absorbing my essence' to be a violation of the 'look, don't touch' rule.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: @Ophelia: You have mail...]

The man in leather, strictly following Ohalian, explains calmly: "I won't physically touch him. If 'touch' is meant in a metaphorical manner as a symbol for change, then the rule is impossible to fulfill, for any perception has an impact on the object that is perceived. As for what happens to him afterwards, the most probable result will be that due to the lack of essential parts of his being, he will die and dissolve."

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the man in leather.

"If he'll probably die, then you shouldn't do it."

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia can hear Hoot's call and the owl's flapping, but the animal doesn't seem to be able to come to her. The owl calls out in panic, again and again, but Ophelia can't locate where Hoot is.

Flying through the darkness, Ophelia hears the voice coming from those horrid eyes.

"I am the essence of fear and hatred, I am the spirit of the horrors of the past, I am a living Sigil spirit, and as you created me by fear and hate, by death and violence, I recreate you under my command! Take that girl, bring to me the essence of darkness that has touched her, the essence of ancient power that is not even her own!"

The words echo through the darkness over and over again, and what was just a short vision as she transformed into an owl, seems to become real now: Within the darkness, figures appear out of the nothingness, horrible creatures of pain and death. Only three yards before her, Ophelia can see two zombies of bulky humanoid shape, and a third creature that looks like a twisted ape. The fangs drip with poison, the creature's hair is dirty and reminds of barbwire; the eyes tell of demonic insanity.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Quote:
"If he'll probably die, then you shouldn't do it."

As Ohalian says these words, Ians eyes go wide.
"Oh, hey now. When I said you could peek inside by brain case, Death wasn't even remotly a side effect I was planning on. Now, as it is, I proably won't have time to go meet Charrdh's companion before our little shopping spree.
And besides that, I'm hungry. So I'm going to the food vendors. See you guys there in twenty minuets."

(OOC: I'm assuming that the overal conversation since Ophelia left took about 10 min, and even if he is off, it okay because he doesnt actually have a watch. )

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia tries to fly out of the creature's reach. And she tries to calm her mind. This creature said that I created it out of my fear and hate, I MUST try to calm my mind and fill my mind and heart with courage and love. Think of Hoot dammit! Think of your parents on Torril. Think of your friends... she thinks. And as she thinks this she starts to relax, and let the love and courage flow through her. It warms her heart and if she could withthis beak, she would be smiling. She is no longer afraid.*

blackthornes's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-04-21
Game: Great minds think alike

" well, I'm with Ian, i'm starving, and i wouldn't mind getting started on our current project."

OOC: wait a minute, what is going on with this whole mind readign thing, i don't know if get what is happening here....

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

OOC: I was going to let him read my mind, but I managed to pick up from Ohalian's part of the conversation that I would die in the process. As far as ian is concerned, the deal is off.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian looks at the others.

"Yeah, I better stop by the place I'm staying before then too. I'll see you then."

He then thinks far a moment, and a digital clock appears in his vision, as a part of his HUD, and begins walking towards the Clerk's Ward.

20:00
19:59
19:58...

OOC: I'm assuming that that will be enough time to get home to the house he's sharing with his girlfreind, and then get to the Market Ward.

Fidrikon's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2004-12-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Very well then." Ian looks over at the Masked Gnoll. "Hey! Big guy! You coming?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Sorry for the late reply. Being your own boss can be very time-taking occasionally...]

The man in leather looks at Ohalian, following him on his way. "Your communication routines are astonishingly incompatible to mine. While I am trying to adapt, I wonder whether you received a different routine from the start, or whether it changed later on. If the latter, we should check if your routines still fulfill the needs of your functions, or if a recovery update is in place."

Obviously, the man in leather doesn't care the least bit about Ian anymore.

Suddenly, the darkness before Ophelia begins to change... to glow. It is still dark, pitch black even - yet strangely, Ophelia can see through the darkness. The horrific figures before her suddenly stop moving, just a second before attacking her. And then, she hears a voice in her mind... or rather, a thought of her own, yet it is so strong, so present, that it appears like coming from outside.

"That thing is merely a mistake, an ethereal emotion trying to become real. It is meaningless, weak... yet it can become dangerous. Through it the same energies flow as through your own mind. If it finds a way to these energies, it can suck the soul right out of your body. Your only way out is to turn things around. Take it... suck it out. Take its energies and transform the negative power that gives it life into the positive life that you stand for. Take its power, take its life, focus on breathing in the essence of this creature... or submit to what little power it has, and be captured within this darkness until you die..."

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia hears the voice and is comforted by it, whether or not it is her own. She focuses on breathing in the creature and it's negative energy, and breathing it out as though it was pure sunlight, made by nature... this thing that is natural comes forth from her breath made by this horribly negative creature that is messing with her very essense. She concentrates on this endevour as hard as she can, until she becomes engulfed by it, suddenly feeling as though she has become the proccess of changing this negative energy into possitive life force energy itself.*

**OOC: Do I need to make a concentration check?

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: Please make three checks: Concentration, Wisdom and Constitution.]

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Here is concentration check.

13 Bonus for Concentration to do
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 19.
I rolled 1d20+13, the result is 22.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Here is my Wisdom check.

4 Bonus for Wisdom to do
I rolled 1d20+4, the result is 23.
OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

Here is my constitution check.
**OOC: Take whichever concentration check you want, I messed up when trying to get my signature out of that post.

1 Bonus for Constitution to do
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 18.
dread pirate swan's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2004-12-21
Game: Great minds think alike

The masked Gnoll, still mumbling, shuffles acros the room, trying not to step on the other patrons.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

Ophelia focusses on breathing in the alien energy, and transforming it into something positive. She feels how something is activated within her, something she didn't know of until now.... a hidden power. All of a sudden, her environment becomes bright light, and the only thing she can recognize is a whirlwind of dark energy drawn in by her breathing.

A scream - the voice that came from those eyes - fills the alley, but as she consumes the creature's very essence, the scream fades... as does the light. She is within the alley again, without any monsters, without any eyes, and Hoot flies through the air only a few yards away.

Yet... something makes Ophelia nervous. Something is not right. But Ophelia can't tell what it is. It feels like... there is something within her that is not she, and she knows that this feeling doesn't mean the eyes-creature that she consumed.

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

[OOC: To make things short, I'd say everyone goes to whereever they wanted to go, and then meet up at the meeting point, ok? Just post a short description of where you go, what you do there, and how you go to the meeting point then.
As for Ohalian, he's in the middle of a discussion with the man in leather, but just make your descriptions anyway; the discussion will then continue on your way / at the meeting point.]

OpheliaWhispers's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2005-05-27
Game: Great minds think alike

*Ophelia turns back into her elven form. She looks around nervously and then calls for Hoot to land on her shoulder and she goes walking into the marketplace over by the food vendors to wait for everyone else to get there.*

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

Ohalian continues walking towards his house, and hears the man in leather's comments.

"What are you, a walking, talking computer program or something?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"Subroutine," is the man's short answer to Ohalian's question.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

"Okay... so you're a subroutine. So, what is the larger program you're a part of, and what is your purpose?"

joyblood's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2005-06-05
Game: Great minds think alike

"My tasks are classified data, please identify as a higher security level object to access that data. As for the larger program, I only know of the interfaces that I need to connect to when a task is finished, or when further information is needed."

All of a sudden, the man stops, staring at Ohalian. An almost unnoticeable light shimmers in his eyes. "Information request: Identify routine name, creator, machine location and J-Sys network interface number."

As weird as the words sound, they ring a bell in Ohalian's mind: J-Sys is a large corporation from his own world, a pioneer in technological advancement.

nick012000's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-19
Game: Great minds think alike

As soon as he recognizes the corp's name, Ohalian immediately stops dead in his tracks, and calls up a window displaying the tasks currently running on his cyberware's computers, and runs a program to detect any incongruencies with what should be there.

He figures that if he's seeing, hearing, and feeling him, something's hijacked his cyber-eyes, -ears, and -limbs. The last one's particularly scary, if it's gained control over the motor circuits.

OOC: Yes, he just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del. Or it's equivalent, anyway. Also, I sincerely doubted I'd have to ever make a Computer Use check in this game. Looks like the GM just proved me wrong. gear_:P I'm not sure whether this would be attempting the Defend Security or Find File though. He'll succeed automatically on the latter.

14 Bonus for Computer Use to do
I rolled 1d20+14, the result is 18.
Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.