This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

How far behind is the were-bear? Basically, do I have time to get something out of my pack?

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Thhanking his tribes spitits for that bit of luck, M'rek decides to go in the direction the Githies were running from...He knows enough to know that Giths are usually trouble, and maybe that something that would scare them off might offer some respite to poor insignificant M'rek...

Just to be on the safe side he changes his demeanor to the shape of a pixie he saw while during his journeys in Bytopia...

(Is M'rek ahead or behind of the chase? If aheda he will find what he will find soon enough, if behind he will follow the trail of destruction and smashed fruit down to its ource...

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek: Apparently, the Githyanki had been running for a while, and their trail of carnage seems to end half-way down Tzu Street (although M'rek wouldn't know that), and M'rek finds himself at the intersection of two streets with no sign of where the 'yankis came from (feel free to make a Search check). Looking down one of the side streets, you see people fleeing a commotion of some sort.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Ok. Some questions:

On the side street are they fleeing toward or away from M'rek?

Also, is there any place that seems to be safe around here? even if it is only an inn or something like that?

If not he will move towards where he perceives the greatest number of people to be, in line with his original intention of finding a crowd of citizens and blending in...

Also here is the search check: total 24

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 12.
Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Initiative = 17

Discretion is the better part of valor, and by a rule, anything with Tentacles isn't worth getting near.
Baba quickly grumbles a hastened spell, hovering into the air as he does so - (and staying there - it's Fly). He then begins to fly away as quickly as the spell will take him - heading in the direction of a more reputable (see guarded) ward if possible. In any case, getting into the air is worthwhile for for his health.

(Fly Action - if I remember Good Manuverability right, Rise 15 feet, move forward 30 feet).

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba:[Who told you to roll for initiative? I didn't tell you to roll for initiative. Humf.] You take to the air, and the creature shrieks and blasts you with psionic energy. Make a Will save.

M'rek: The bystanders are running toward you and away from you and pretty much every direction in between. By the time they get to you, they have stopped running and calmed down a bit. Although they still look rather nervous. Mostly it looks like it's just apartment buildings and the like. You can't help wondering what has these people so spooked.

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[You *always* roll for initiative. It's a reflex.]

Will Save = 14 (9+5). Baba clutches his head.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba: Your mind reels and you find yourself unable to move. The savage Illithid lunges at you, flies through the air, and wraps his tentacles around the cobbles below. It looks like it missed. The beast raised to its feet dripping blood from it's face, but apparently unharmed, and it jumps and feebly try to grasp at our legs. The Mind Blast wears off around ow.

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba rises another fifteen feet into the air, tossing a ball of flame to the ground as he does so. It quickly rises to become something much more - a large, extremely angry centipede that is in fact on Fire.


"Grab the thing!"
, shouts Baba in Ignan.

[Use Rapid Summoning to Summon Monster III - Fire Element Huge Monstrous Centipede. That is, if it fits. Otherwise, use 1d3 Large ones. If it/they listens to Baba, initiate grapple at +17/+9 using a Half-Charge*. Spell's range is 35 feet, Baba is 30 feet above the ground.]

(*See Special Attacks - if you can only take a Standard Action, you may charge at your speed.)

[This would provoke an AOO, but the Centipede has too much reach. He has to make a Melee attack though - +7.]

7 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 22.
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[I know Dialexis/Linji and I aren't progressing for a little while but I believe this is a free action which occurs internally. I'm asking now so I don't have to break the flow later]

Kadar instantly focuses on his instincts, clearing his mind to allow the cadence to determine his actions.

[use cadence whispers to get more specific idea of what the threat involves/what we're being headed towards. Just in case it was relevant I did a sense motive check to determine where we're being herded towards- Sense motive (1d20+7=22) ]

2 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 12.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Taking advantage of the confusion, and having taken a good look on the demeanor, clothes etc of the evarage inhabitant of this area, M'rek again changes his disguise to fit more perfectly and progresses cautiously towards the apparent source of the comotion

(I assume that my search of 24 would let me follow the obvious clues towards the right direction...)
If I get lost, M'rek will simply ask around for directions, probably with a feeble attempt at cant:
Begging pardon cutter, what are all these bloods running from?

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar: You reach out to the Cadence, and get what is perhaps the clearest responce you have ever recieved, which is to say, only somewhat vague. There is something very, very important you must do in Greenwell Plaza, and failure could have terrible consequences. You also begin to realize that there is something very strange about the beast pursuing you, and although the Cadense is shockingly clear that you shouldn't let it capture you, you begin to wonder if the beast truly has ill intentions at all. Werebears are supposed to be good, after all. [Oh, and you are unfrozen, because Baba is finally starting to catch up.]

M'rek: The squat, gray skinned humanoid, who you think might be a dwarf of some sort looks at you conteptuously, but he also seems like the kind of person who really likes to hear himself talk so he says, "'S a Flayer, ye addle-coved lemon. Been prowling the streets fer hours. Piking beast must be right out o' its mind an' looks like it hasn't eaten in weeks. I think someone called the Sodders to kill it, but ye'd best stay in-doors 'til it gets deadbooked. I think I heard something about some other berks causing a ruckus nearby, but I don't know what that's about 'cept that it had trained Gith raiders scarpering for their lives down Tzu street." If you read his gesture right, it looks like the Githyanki's originated for a particular side street. "Now if ye'll excuse me I've got 'ta get home to warn the missus."

Following said side-street quickly leads you to another intersection, but you have no trouble finding the trail again, because it is marked by two bloody piles that might be corpses. There is an obvious trail of blood leading from there, although judging from the size of the bloody footprints, it would be a bad thing to follow.

Baba: Your massive centipede fills up the alley, and has to squeeze just to stay where it is. The flaming monstrosity pounces the ashen-skinned Illithid and its flames and mandibles quickly envelope the beast and it lets out a terrible keening sound before being hidden from veiw. Moments later, the centipede makes whatever sound centipedes make when they are in pain, and ichor can be seen to spurt above the flames. You have no idea what's going on, but you have the nasty fealing that the dead-eyed Illithid is winning.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Yeah -we're unfozen! brrrr, that was cold! -oh, and awesome stuff everyone}

After bantering with Kadar, Linji begins an all-out sprint again, thinking inwardly, "now, if only it was raining acid again and I was naked..." but his inward thought are interrupted by himself yelling back to Kadar,

"Last one to the Kimchi is a rotted cabbage!"

(Full run, 160')

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Being a Nathri after all, M'rek cannot resist the temptation to check the corpses for anything that might be half-way serviceable, even money or weapoins...he will not remain in that area for long though.

After his search, he will not follow the bloddy trails, choosing life instead, but also does not want to just wander about with a feral illithid on the prowl...so he picks the direction most of the people seem to be moving towards, always seeking safety in numbers unless something else atracts his attention...

search result, taking 10 = 22

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Side rules note - the Dimension Door "No-Action" limit is really pointless and should be removed, since you can just take your move/frees before you 'port. In any case, it's a relic of 1.0, where rounds were 1 minute and you actually *walked* through the Ethereal to get to your location.}

Like an overweight soap bubble, Baba starts to float out of the alley - but not before throwing yet another ball of Fire to the ground. A large and flaming rock creature rises from the ground - a Thoqqua.

"Help the giant and latch on!" , he shouts.

[Rapid Summon - Summon Monster III - Thoqqua. It automatically latches on due to the Joining a Grapple rules, and merely touching it [see grappling] does 2d6 Fire every round. This doesn't hurt the Centipede. Also, I'm fairly sure it doesn't have a brain.]

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 2d6+0, the result is 6.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Follow fuzzy's lead, the cutter's a good dance partner." Kadar calls out to Linji's speeding figure "He's taking us to something important, I just hope we'r dressed for the occasion."

Kadar continues to run, deliberately using the opposite side of the street to Linji to split the beast's focus.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba: The Illithid seems to be doing something very painful and quite deadly to the Centipede. By the time your Thoqqua finishes its lunge and grabs the Mind Flayer, the hundred legged behemoth is nothing more than a withered shell. When the Thoqqua grabs the emaciated beast, it roars in pain, but you can't help noticing that its injuries begin to heal before your eyes. This is not a normal Illithid (Make a Knowledge (Dungioneering) check).

M'rek: The gith's bodies, including their armor, were torn to shreds in what looks like mere seconds. An ornate silver Greatsword lies by one of their feet. It looks like it could easilly be magical, but you can't recognise and specific runes or enchantments on it. The other warriors sword seems to be missing. One of the Gith was also wearing a simple gold ring with strange etchings on it that you can't read. It is likely magical in nature, however. Beyond that, you also find about 100 gold pieces in loose change (much of it platinum) and a whole lot of blood.

You follow the panicked pedestrians for a good ways until the crowd suddenly breaks up and parts to reveal a crowd of short (even by Nathri standards) lizard people. The same race as those you saw in Tradegate. These ones, however, seem far more threatoning, and are currently menacing a humanoid creature nearly three times their hight. [Wait for Korchuk to reply before doing anything, if you would be so kind.

Linji and Kadar: Greenwell Plaza lives up to its name. It is a wide, open intersection full of garbage with a massive snot-colored puddle in the middle. Chant has it that this is the largest Ooze portal in the Hive. Around the edges of the well, there is evidence of numerous attmpts to brick the portal over, all met with minimal success. It is unclear if the bricks were submerged by the permanant puddle, or, as rumor holds, were simply removed by the Hivers so they would have somewhere to dump their garbage. Either way, the fetid "liquid" smells a lot worse than it looks. As you take in the scene, you realize that the Werebears footfalls have ceased, and a quick over-the-shoulder glance reveals that the lumbering beast has disappeared entirely. There is obviously something strange going on.

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(eh Duckluck? did you miss my action? I took an action a long time ago, but you never got back to me, I wasn't sure if I died and you didn't tell me or what. Look back a page or so, mon!)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[Damn, how did I miss that? You could have pointed it out earlier, you know. Now I'm somwhat embarrased.]

The kobold and those next to him jab at you with their pikes. Again, they seem totally incapable of piercing your armor. You give one of the kobolds a bloody gash through his breastplate, but he's still standing and obviously pissed. You think he might be the same one you bruised earlier. Immediately, he gives you a solid jab with his pike that not only pierces your platemail, but your ribs as well (21 damage!) Then the ones with crossbows open up on you and three of them even hit (9 damage). You bleed profusly, and the other kobolds look like they are about to try to finish you off with their pikes when you feel the point of a metal object in the small of your back.

"This is a maximized wand of Lightning Bolt," the kobold commander says in much better Planar Trade than he displayed before, "One wrong move, and I'll boil your gizzard, or intestines, I guess. Whatever you have there, you won't have it for long. Now no more fighting, no more games, all I need you to do is tell me where the Mythal is, and I'll let you go. Alive, no less."

M'rek witnesses all this in a flash. It's up to him what he does now.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji slows down, and then scans the plaza, its rooftops, the ooze puddle, and the intersecting streets for sight or sound.

(full round action, Spot and Listen Check)

12 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 19.
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 21.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Innocent in the ways of the planes, M'rek loots the bodies of the yankis, taking the ring, the money and anything else deemed useable (remembers nathri ain't choosers...), including the greatword, which he rolls in a blanket and ties to the back of his pack.

Coming into contact with the high drama scene involving the Kobolds and a heavily aromored stranger one aspect of the conversation attracts his attention: what is the Mythal? (Knowledge arcana to find out?)
M'rek almost by instinct elects to hide and see what transpires. ...maybe something usefull could come from it, maybe something to scavenge, maybe he would join in an attempt to help the overwelmed and bleeding cutter to escape, or maybe the kobolds are what passes for the police in this are, in which case he would ask them for directions...

Here are the rolls: arcana 15, hide 27

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 10.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 8.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar slows to a walk and scans the area, also checking to see if there is any signs of the where the were-bear disappeared to.

Spot is below (see spot run)
[invisible castle's playing up on me]

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 26.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Listen check from above post

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 11.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek has no clue who this Mythal is, so his situation is roughly as he predicted it would be: death or death. But even faced with these limited decisions, Cortek's anger directs him to pursue what may be his last bit of fun. "Pah! That all you wanted? You could've asked nicely like good little bipdeal lizards, sans-weapons and whatnot. Fine, I'll tell you where it is...." he pauses, and flashes a wicked grin at the Kobold he traded blows with, "If you let me HACK THAT ONE UP!!!"

(Intimidate at said Kobold, for no discernable reason)

9 Bonus for Intimidate to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 19.
Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{K - Dungeoneering is Untrained - Roll Below}

Things don't look good for our hero, so he flies away quadruple-time [Run Action 240 feet], heading for a Ward that doesn't involve savage near-Illithids.

He scans the horizon for something big and beefy and preferably non-Fiendish, non-Cordial to ask for aid.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: The kobold in question flinches, but the commander says in a flat tone, "No. I will not betray my men for any price. Now tell me where the Mythal is! I know your little band of traitors has it." You still have no idea what he's talking about, but you begin to wonder if maybe your brother does.

M'rek: You have no idea what a Mythal is, but, of course, you also have no idea who the Netherese were or even that there is a world out there called Toril. The kobolds are too wary of their captive to notice you hide behind a fruit cart.

Baba: You crest over rooftops and see a few scattered, and scattering pedestrians, a sodkiller patrol heading to the area you just fleed from, a gang of kobolds harrassing a Zenythri, a Nathri hiding behind a fruit cart, and two strange looking warriors, a feind-touched of some sort, and a Githzerai with weird tatoos standing in front of a massive twenty-foot-radius pool of what appears to be phlem. Suddenly, you are hit by a Dispel effect from an unseen assailant, and you begin to slowly fall toward the pool.

Kadar and Linji: Greenwell Plaza is perhaps the least used major crossroads in the Hive. Looking down the side streets, you can see a few people in the distance, and you still hear the faint murmurs of city life, but here in the plaza, there is no one around, and you can't even hear people in the seemingly-abandoned buildings nearby. The area is typically avoided because of the overpowering stench, but it is still somewhat odd that there is nobody here. Or at least there wasn't until now.

As you watch, a flying gnome crests the top of a nearby building and promptly proceed to stop flying. The spell seems to be failing slowly, but it still looks like if you don't do something, the gnome is about to take a one-way trip to the plane of Ooze.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar senses that ths gnome's time has not yet come and rushes towards the puddle
[action here depends on whether, by looking at the puddle's size, it looks like action 1 is possible.]
[1] Kadar leaps across the puddle, attempting to intersect with the plunging gnome and knock them both onto another side

Acrobatics (1d20+6=24)

Dexterity (1d20+5=25)

tumble (1d20+10=19)

[not sure what other checks you'd want]

[2] Kadar pulls out his rope and tethers it to a nearby drainpipe.

use rope (1d20+5=7)

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

When you're hurtling at 10 feet a second towards the remains of Khaasta's dinner, you have few options.

A: Panic.
B: Don't Panic.
C: Cast a spell.

Baba chooses Option C - he readies himself to summon Ye Flaming Shark the second he's about to hit the... thing. In any case, it should give him a second to jump out of the pool and avoid drowning/impending explosion.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[The pool is 40 feet across, so no jumping.]

The flaming shark boils and vaporizes a good portion of the ooze which spews into the air as a noxious gas. Baba lands on the shark, and just as he is about to jump, Kadar's rope swings over his head (make a Climb check), and rests in a gutter. Meanwhile, the shark thrashes and spits as it sinks into the muck.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji calls out to the flaming gnome:

"Don't resist -this jokes on gravity and the ooze, not you!"

{manifests Catfall on Baba, which should help him jump and then fall slowly, as then Linji as movement action helps to pull him with Kadar's rope}

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba grabs on to the rope, holding on to his unsteady footing.

-1 Bonus for Strength to do
I rolled 1d20+-1, the result is 3.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba grabs the rope begins to climb, loses his grip, falls toward the Ooze, and slowly falls toward the ooze. By the time he hits it, he is able to grab the edge of the portal before his head is submerged and his hands scrabble at the bricks trying to find purchase. As Kadar and Linji watch, the portal begins to suck him in, and his head dissapears under the water. All you can see is his hand frantically scrabbling at the bricks. It looks like, without help, he's done for.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

For the briefest of moments, Linji's mind recalls a time, a moment in the past, and yet now in the present.

He was much younger then, long before the Rthak'aai. He had wandered off by himself in his home of Err'ishtok. He found himself climbing the pyrimad city -for hours upon hours he climbed -he did not know what compelled him -or for what purpose he compelled his tired limbs to continue the climb. Losing all thoughts or concept of movement or time, he was awakened from his reverie, and found himself at the apex.

With awe he gazed out at the surrounding Chaos of Limbo.

Whether inside or outside his mind, he heard -no he felt the words:

"What do you see?"

Breathelessly, Linji-then-Rinzai replied, "Infinite Possibility"

There was no answer -there didn't need to be.

"But then, All that is -and All that is not -are all our Choices just Chance and without meaning?" Linji-then-Rinzai asked the nothingness-yet everythingness around him -and in him.

"Yes -and No."

"What?"

"Not what, but While. Cannot it also be that every Chance is a Choice -and thus, has nothing but meaning?"

"I suppose its possible," Linji-then-Rinzai replied.

"Infinitly possible..."

"...I see," said Linji.

He was no longer on the apex, or at Err'ishtok -he was on the Chaos-Mountain with Torpellin, sipping Tea. He had not chosen what was in the Cup, but he had chosen to drink it -and it tasted great.

But he wasn't drinking Tea anymore, he was in the middle of Greenwell Plaza, watching a flailing gnome's hand sink into the Ooze.

Or was he still drinking Tea, still standing on the Apex?

Linji goes to grab hold of Baba's hand, and motioning Kadar to help;

"We've reached our hand into the fire, but this is a first for reaching the hand *on* fire".

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek is first dumbfounded, and then irritated. "You know my little band of traitors has it?! You answered your own question stupid lizard! Accost them, not me! I realize your odds are much better against a loner but that doesn't help when you're trying to retrieve a specific object..."

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek keeps his position (as long as it is roughly within 30' from Kortek), but does not like the odds here...these kobolds do not seem to be what passess for authority around here, and his tribal morals are very much against summary executions...so if it seems like the armored stranger is going to be just killed, M'rek will flood the area with a darklite effect and give the stranger a chance to run....
But this is only as a last resort...he will be more than happy to remain hidden for a little longer as the drama unfolds itself

(OOC- when M'rek left his tribe his shaman told him to find some people and prevent the hissing prophecy where there any hints that could help his decision making process now?

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek: Nope, you haven't heard one whiff about the Hissing Prophet since you arrived. It would seem the average Sigilian still thinks it's all screed, although you may find the kobold's next words interesting.

Cortek: Somehow you can feel the kobold's glare even though you can't see it, "Listen berk, and listen well, we know your band of Ex-Harmonium has it, or at least had it, but we have two legions combing every cube in Acheron for them, and we still can't find them. I have direct orders from the High One to find that Mythal and I will not fail! Now if you cannot tell me where the Mythal is, at least tell me where your comrades are so that I may question them personally. That Mythal is the key to it all, and may be the last hope for the planes. I will not let it slip away again!"

The rest of you:
Baba really isn't that heavy, so Linji is able to pull him out of there with little difficulty. He is still covered from head to toe in Elemental Ooze, however.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Hoisting out the minature muck-man, Linji decides he is hungry, and so as long as there isn't anything else fanged and bladed yelling or falling from the sky, Linji plunks his crate off his back, and using it as a seat, pulls out a couple of Bananas, and mid-scarfing one down, offers a Banana to the ooze-drenched gnome;

"Do you have any Bananas?"

{Not really a Diplomacy check, but kinda one, all the same}

5 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 18.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"So, do you often drop onto flaming sharks in ooze puddles?" asks Kadar, grinning as he reels in his rope. "I'm Kadar and the fruit wielding blood here is Linji."

[diplomacy, sorta]

7 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 26.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"In my long years, I've had the good fortune never to have to", snaps Baba, spluttering in the newfound appearance of actual breathable air.

After a second, he calms. "Thank you, cutter." He waves away the fruit, sitting down heavily on the ground nearby and looking to Kadar. "Do you have any idea what is going on? There appears to be some sort of feral Illithid out there."

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Feh? Well, as you might discern from my location, I've left that band, at least for a time. My brother wouldn't have left Acheron to the best of my knowledge, though if he has an object others want badly, and has a reason to keep it from them, he'll have moved from anywhere I could expect him to be. Beyond that, I honestly don't know what this "Mythal" is or does, and hardly care, anything my band did with it was done after I left, or outside of my eyes, probably the former." Cortek pauses a moment, and adds this.. "If you ever do find them, tell them to stop doing extravagant things: they make Kobolds accost me for no reason."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: The kobold says something in Draconic, it sounds like a question, and his men respond in a variety of ways. Finally, he removes the wand from your back, and backs away. Then he motions for his men to do the same,"I think you are lying. Most of my men disagree. I trust their judgement, even if I don't trust you. Go now, and never again make violence upon kobold-kind. If you do, I shall be there to cut you down."

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek takes his leave to begin his search for a pub or inn, not so much to rest as to sit down a moment and dress his "minor scratch."

(See what M'rek does, otherwise Cortek should find his way to a pub or an inn, probably by signs, manmade or atmospheric, rather than asking around. Hard to imagine who'd let him, being the large, bloody mass he is right now.)

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek actually speaks draconic, so if anything significant was discussed he would like to know...
things seem to be very interesting right now so he will follow the kobolds for a little while (using the tail someone procedure in Complete Adventurer, also changing disguises every three rounds for good measure) just to see if anything else can be learned from them...he can eavesdrop and even read lips (checks to follow).

After a while, he will let them go (unless they prove to be too interesting, DMs discretion, remember I am looking for something related to the prophecy), and follow Kortek's bloody trail to the pub of his choice, this might be another good source of information and also it would help his safety prospects to bond with the big bladeling...upon seeing him he will just pop up as if from out of the blue and say:

scary bit of busness down in the alley...sometimes if I touch this stick to wounds it heals them...you tell me if it works (use magical device)...so do you or don't you?

Results:
Hide 27, 21, 22 (since I must stay within 30' this gives me 3 rounds of following) if more time is needed it would be easier to take 10 for totals of 29 hide...):
Listen 7
read lips (spot) 27 allows me to follow a conversation for one minute...tel me if need more rolls or take 10 for 17 total
use magical device (wand of CLW) 26..so I guess Kortek heals some 1d8+1 hp...

Ok. This is it please tell me what the kobolds said in the alley and if they said anything interesting after they left...

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 8.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 3.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 2.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 7.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 20.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: Cortek doesn't take long in finding a small drinking hole. The thin, black skinned elvish-looking (Knowledge: Local to identify species, if you care) bartender looks at the bloody warrior distastefully, but isn't about to try to kick him out of his bar.

M'rek:[Umm, what? There are a ton of rolls there, and I don't know what any of them are. Also, please use quotation marks to mark speech. It makes my life easier. Edit: never mind.]

The kobolds were basically saying exactly what the commander told him they were. The commander asked if they thought he was lying, and the majority of them, including the one who had been stabbed, said he was not.

Once the kobolds round the corner, the commander instantly slumps a little and touches his wand to the wounded kobold. To M'rek's surprise, the kobold's wound heals instantly. Cortek just got played for a fool. The formerly wounded kobold asks, "Do you think he knows?" to which the leader replies in a dismisive manner, "If I did, I wouldn't have let him leave alive. Now keep quiet until we get off this rock. You never know who's listening." There seems to be an edge to his words that causes M'rek to suspect that he hadn't been as stealthy as he thought.

Then the kobolds stow their spears within impossibly small sheaths and don cloaks over their armor causing to look slightly less conspicuous.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Sorry about the inverted comas, I tought that colour already was enough to signify speech...
Also sorry about the ton of rolls, I have been trying to find an efficient method to roll a lot of skills which M'rek will always have to do, but find that the inbuilt roller leaves too much confusion in the air...
to explain myself, as per the former post:
the three first rolls are for hiding (which would give me roughly 30 seconds of tailing), and to them I added my skill modifier of 19, so to wield 27, 23, 21...(so the kobold cap would have to have beaten the 21, and then I could even attempt a bluff check to try to make m'rek look innocuous...but then again we are not playing exactly by the book now, so I am satisfied with the results...)
then there was a listen roll at +0 so = 7,
then there was a spot roll (read lips) at 20+7=27
and a use magical devce roll (wand of CLW) 20+6=26

I suspect that invisible castle might be better for such a large number of rolls, since I can state the order in which they are rolled and automatically add the modifiers...or would you prefere many smaller posts with my actions broken down? (in the above example there could be one set of rolls for the follow attempt, than another for the listen/read lips, then a last one to heal Cortek...in my view this last option would tend to bog down the game...

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Feral Illithid huh. That's not so strange, last week I saw a modron in a sodding wedding dress try to propose to an arcanoloth outside the courts. Though since you mention it we were chased here one piked off were-bear so strange seems to be taking a turn to the violent.
What's your name cutter? You can chant the cant so I'm guessing you live in town."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek: [Just as long as I know what's going on. Oh, and there are plenty of ways besides Spot checks to know when someone is tailing you. Something to keep in mind.]

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Yep. There's Listen Checks!}

"I'm Smith. Baba Smith - oh, and I'm not from town.", says Baba, attempting feebly to prestidigitate off some of the less stubborn Ooze. "Tradegate's my kip, but Fire's my home. I'm here for stock."

"Thanks for the aid, but we'd best be clearing out. I'd rather not be stuck between."

He coughs, muttering in Ignan - "Cagers think they're the center of everything these days."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Nasty cough you've got there, I guess the city air can do that to you when you've been out of touch. Where were you headed Baba? Our furry friend seems to have cleared off but we might as well stay together until we find some more friendly faces. That suit you Linji?"

[can you give me a quick run down on how Baba looks OF, is he obviously a mage? (I know the flying should be a give it away but there's a fine line between flying and being thrown and you didn't look like you were in control, also there's stranger things in the planes than a race of levitating gnomes)]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Azariel - Check the Bio - in any case, he's 'tall', a little bit overweight, and pretty dark-skinned - though that's hard to tell, as he's shrouded in a whole lot of clothing, including two or three assorted jackets, a shirt or three, and what looks like a robe. They're clean, though. There's a faint odor of burnt clothing. He's not obviously a mage, but it would be a good guess.}

(Duckluck, where *is* he headed? Am I free to make up some stock location, or is there a store of importance you'd like to throw in for fun?)

"Just to buy some stock - and yes, at least until this street becomes a little less... suddenly dangerous."

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.