This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[*Shrug* it's your store.]

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(I got a little lost on what was happening, did M'rek actually meet me and use his wand, or did Cortek just sit in the bar and use his bandages? There may be a conversation to have if the former, and if the latter, Cortek might hit the Minder's Guild, knowing little else about easy ways to get into fights that serve a purpose. It's the only reason I could imagine Cortek would end up in Sigil.)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

I think you're talking to M'rek. Sorry, things got a bit confused.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji, somewhat distracted from the discussion, due to his placing of banana peels around the ooze-portal, seems to come to.

"GruMpy SquId-fAcE?"

Smiling, as he places the last banana peel, he turns to Baba, he says:


"Linji would like to see such a thing -and perhaps eat it, or be eaten -either way, something grows fat, right?"

But then, without waiting for a reply, he hoists up his now-lighter banana crate and looks to his new "nieghbors":

"Or, we, I, me, him, you, and us, could do something else or nothing other -hmm?"

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek stares at the small figure: "Do I or do not I what?"

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek stares at Cortek with the mild annoyance of a child, as if his question was absolutelly obvious:

"Do you or don't you know about this Mythal thing? And by the way. little muzzle face there was bluffing at you with that wand...it was a healing stick, just like this one of mine...a neat trick that, must remember that"

After a second or two of staring around:

So, is this the place you cage-folk come when you are needing to eat? (he asks as his stomach grumbles loudly...)

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(OOC: ugh, so what's the DM's stance on inter-party conflict? In RP, Cortek should kill M'rek now, or at least try. Example: "ANOTHER midget asks me about "the Mythal", just as I sit down to patch up. The Kobolds are probably hiding in the bar waiting to see if I retract my previous words. And that wand was healing? Yeah, at the very least that means you were watching me, like the overly curious rat you are." Cortek wouldn't actually say this, as a tactical master he'd take the first shot any time. I'm at an impasse..)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[So what you're saying is Cortek is too violent to exist in a society where people are regularly quite rude? That's absurd. A "tactical master" wouldn't get into a random fight for no good reason. Especially when the guy he's about to clobber has something he needs (healing). I'm fine with PvP in theory, but in practice, it derails the game. Limit the conflict to words, please.]

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(No, what I'm saying is Cortek just got ATTACKED for reasons he can't even comprehend. This wasn't some gang of brigands looking for a quick buck, he's been rapidly thrust into a situation he wasn't aware existed, that explicitly involves him, and in a violent manner.

If someone just came up and was rude to him, that's entirely different, he'd ignore them probably. Or if M'rek had simply said "Hey berk, that was quite a scuffle back there. I don't know what that was about, but mind if I stab ye with this here healing stick?", then that would've been entirely acceptable: no detailed conflict information, nothing to right away set off his spy sense. But M'rek decides to come up to him while he's still fresh from an unexpected and unwanted fight and repeat the question posed to him by his assailants.

Point being, Cortek is now aware that he's in a situation that has uncertain boundaries, and against a foe who's size, scope, and methods aren't really known at all. Given what little he knows, this "second questioning" could be a different enemy. This is apparently an item of value to some higher organization, and there may be other organizations after this item. Judging from the open attack in the middle of the streets, this city, or at least this section of it isn't an area with a strong enforced peace. If he allows the enemy to abuse this, but bars himself from doing the same, he could be allowing too much ground. Even if he assume's there is only one force, and it is entirely comprised of the Kobolds and M'rek, he's still outnumbered handily, so he has precious little ground to give. Simply outright attacking M'rek is obviously not a good option, but neither is anything else.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said "Tactical Master", but rather "Aspiring tactician." A prime example is he never considered that the Kobold Captain could be bluffing him about the wand, he's unused to lies, probably because he's unused to using words in battle(or being alone in battle.) He's seen what it's like to fail in many things, many times over(the Kobolds even took the time to briefly remind him of it, with mention of his Harmonium past), and his bag of tricks is near empty. The real thing here is, Cortek is still on edge, he hasn't had a good rest since the fight, and has only had time to walk to a pub, bandage up a bit, and do any thinking that can be done while doing these things. As a Zenythri, he doesn't like not knowing things, it prevents him from making well-educated decisions, and it's hard to methodically puruse more information when the threats are as preemptive as they seem to be in this situation.

But yeah, it is a campaign killer, that's why I bothered to ask. Anywho.)

"WHY in the ABYSS do you care?!"Cortek yells as he blasts out his arm to grab M'rek and hoist him from the ground.

[Grapple check first, the conversation continues if he succeeds, else M'rek decides what's next]

9 Bonus for Touch Attack to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 10.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M’rek easily avoids Kortek’s lunge, and with deadly speed his fist spike comes up to the big man’s face. The Nathri's yellow eyes seem to grow and shine like golden coins, his hackles rise as his mouth twists into a half snarl, but he visibly reigns in his instincts to avoid striking a blow and a fight he is not certain to be able to win, instead he backtracks to put the table between him and the deranged man:

"Whoa there Mr. Congeniality, I only have a few more spurts out of this wand, it not always works you know.
I do not know what you crazy cage-people ate thismorning, but where I come from bloods usually thank someone who has just given them free healing… Yes I was trying to find my way out of trouble in this stinking heap of a city when I came upon those Kobolds crawling all over your metallic ass…I did not like the odds, so I hung around to see if you needed some help….it turns out that this Mythal talk just might have something to do with a spirit quest set by a man wiser than you…
And anyway, I was just trying to make conversation back there, I agree with those sodding little buggers: An ignorant berk like you would not know what a Mythal wasif it up and bit you in the ass…
Now, if we are through making nice, you can just try and pin me down for a fight, or you could apologize, and perhaps buy me some dinner… or I would be just as happy never to see your ugly hide again...your choice..."

-x-x-
This is a side that people not usually get from M’rek, the little Nathri usually tries to remain inconspicuous, and look like he does not pose a threat, but he is smart to know when aggression is the only language that might get through… In moments like these his Barghest heritage comes instinctively to the fore,

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"We should never do any other than what is necessary Linji and right now it's necessary to get somewhere a bit safer and less oozy, besides, that flame shark really raised a stink"

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba sends a quizzical glance over to Azariel. "Is he barmy?", he whispers.

The gnome clears his throat. "I'm heading over to Kines' - over in the Clerk's Ward. He's got a shipment of Fireseeds and Oerth Tobacco I need to pick up - they've been popular lately."

He stands up, dusting off what else he can.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"The bone-box doesn't match the brain-box" Kadar mutters back "He's a good basher to have by your side".

Aloud- "Sounds like a good plan and it gets me closer to kip, lead on."

as they begin walking, "So what kind of business do you run anyway?"

[OOC- don't ooze portal's make your body go sort of doughy and squishy when you touch them? It takes a few rounds to recover after being pulled out from one. I realise we've gone past this point now but we should probably remember this in the future]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[OOC - I have no idea.]

Baba grumbes a bit, but it's not serious. "Oh, small shop - just Alchemy and sorts, you know - it's all Rough, of course. I also sell a bit of cusine, Tobacco, a bit of Ysgardian..."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Where's your shop?, I do a bit of tout work so I could send some clueless your way if you're interested"

[OOC- I did read your sheet but I figure we should do some of this IC unless Baba is grumpy enough to carry around fliers about himself so that he doesn't have to speak to people Laughing out loud ]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek, and Korchuk: The dark skinned barkeep looks at the two of you irritably and raises his voice to a level of gruffness you didn't even know elves could reach, "You two! No fighting in the bar! Don't make me get my scimitars... I am so sick of you bored planars arguing about prime worlds you don't even understand."

Baba: You don't seem to have suffered any lasting adverse effects, although that doesn't mean you won't be developing a rash in the near future. After all, that portal was mostly sewage.

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[He's nearly that grumpy. If somebody asks him what he sells inside the shop, he'll ask them to follow him, walk outside, and point to the sign.]

"Tradegate - it's my kip as well. About three blocks from the Happy Travels Festhall - not the one with the Bauriar barkeep, the one with the blue roof. It's got a sign - tell the Dizz... Clueless to ask around, they won't miss it."

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek calms down, gives the bartender a nod of recognition, then turns back to M'rek."Bleh... If you don't know anything either then go on your business. Figured if people were going to make a habit of asking me about this thing I should know something about it, who better to ask about the basics than the one looking for details?"

(Cortek leaves the pub in search of whatever he came to Sigil for, probably the Minder's Guild as I said earlier.)

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Tradegate, nice place. I hail from out that way myself, well by out that way I mean on the other side of the spire, but what's distance in the Outlands anyway. I take it you're a spellthrower from that flaming shark back there. Did you pick that up working your shop or ...."

waits for baba to pick up the rest of that statement.

Kadar keeps his eyes open while prattling away, glancing around for anything interesting/dangerous/familiar.

Spot check

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 10.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

K, L, and B: Nothing much seems to be going on. Apparently, it's a peacefull evening in the Hive. A bloody, fuming Zenythri in Full plate emeges from a bar in front of you, but there's nothing inherently special about that.

Cortek: You step out of the bar just as a weird looking Gith, a Tiefling with strangely angular features, and a gnome-shaped lump of sweaters covered in ooze walk by. It occurs to you that this is a really strange town, which might also explain your lack of success in locating the Minder's Guild, as all the maps for this part of town seem to be wrong. Maybe you should ask for directions.

M'rek: Just after Cortek leaves, the bartender mutters to you, "Typical of you sodding plane-born. Never occurs to you berks that a "clueless" barkeep like myself might know something about my own damn plane."

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Here and there, here and there. It pays to keep the mind sharp. Too many Bashers today wasting their time when they could be learning or paying the bills."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"I'm with you there cutter, too much to be done to just sit around just scratching your brain box and not putting what's in it into action. Too much of that in this berg."
Kadar glances at the Zenythri to assess whether he's a threat (I'm a bit twitchy at the moment)

Sense motive

[any signs that there was a fight around here? sounds like Cortek lost a lot of blood]

7 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji merely smiles as Kadar and Baba talk amongst each other -he is listening, but also fills his time as they walk by taking out his sling stones and juggling them as they walk.

Juggle (as part of Tumble) = 19

"Sometimes the ollin in Teyolia is inbetween the words", he thinks to himself, pondering the movements of the different hued spheres, as they dance and weave between the ioun stones, and as their movements present themselves relative to the movement of passing travelers and the flow of conversation between the shopkeeper and tout.

"UlaMItzitLi" , he whispers softly to himself in Slaad.

(Making Spot and Listen checks as they walk)
Spot=10
Listen=12

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 1.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 4.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 2.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

If the ground were anything close to clean, you would be able to recognise the spilled blood instantly, but this is the Hive, so all you see is a few brown blotches on the filth-strewn cobbles. You wouldn't even notice them if you hadn't seen the bloody warrior. As it is, it looks like he may have gotten in a bit of a scuffle, which isn't strange considering that he looks like he's the type of guy would could get in a fist fight with a Fhorge.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek nods apologetically to the barkeep:

"Sorry about that nasty bit of business cutter, I am just also a little tired of folks who see a Nathri or other small folk like myself and think that they are just asking to be manhandled...sodding clueless ...
But please tell me, did you just imply that you know what this Mythal is? And on that tought, what`s for dinner on this fine stablishment of yours?"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Dinner's pork and beans, and you're damn right I know what a Mythal is. I'm from the Prime that invented them, although the sodding humans took all the credit for it. Mythals're like magical batteries or someat. Damn powerful, too. Of course then there was some nasty business where the sodding pink skins abused their fancy magic and nearly destroyed th' whole Sphere, or at least all its magic, which is pract'lly the same thing. Of course, then they all died, so it worked out. Don't know what happened to the Mythals, but I imagine they are all still on Toril, now are you going to order something or not?"

[Sometimes it pays to ask the barkeep.]

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Any chance Linji smells Pork and Beans?

(he loves them since they are a highly sacred Mandala of the Cosmos -not to mention a fun game to try and guess what the Pork is really made from).

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[Not unless you have the Scent ability.]

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Nope}

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

" Absolutely! Count me in for the pork and beans! Just so as to be clear...how big is a Mythal? Anything that someone might possess? And also are you aware if there are ones outside of Toril? Who would know the most about them here in the Spire?
And since you are such a knowledgeable cutter, would you perhaps know anything about a certain Prophecy cast by one Hissing Prophet?"

M`rek almost has an urge to call the lost looking Zenithri back, maybe he would like to know something about this Mythal, but then shrugs and shakes jis head: he has made his choice...if he truly pursues this Mythal, perhaps it will lead him back here...

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek is no Sigillian expert or Tout, but he's passed through enough times to recognize someone who is. Seeing the trappings of a Tout on Kadar, he calls forth "Hello, stranger. Someone somewhere is forging an existence for themselves writing incorrect maps. I need to find the Minder's Guild sometime before the Blood War ends." He reaches for what little spare gold he has as he says this.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Sense motive (lets face it Cortek looks somewhat like an axe murderer)
[assuming I pass (or at least don’t fail by too much)]
Kadar clears his throat before speaking

"Certainly friend, while it is a significant distance away from where we are travelling I would be more than happy (once given adequate recompense) to escort you to the historic and picturesque home of the minders guild - The tower of the Wyrm"

[Cortek can check for sales spin if he likes but I'm more or less telling the truth]

7 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 13.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar: Your Sense Motive reveals that the man you are speaking with is tired, irritated, and not in the best of moods, but he doesn't seem like the muderous type.

M'rek: "What is this, an interogation? I don't know anything 'bout Mythals 'cept that they were large enough to power floating cities, and small enough to get looted after those cities crashed. Talk to an archaologist if you really care that much. I'll be back with your food in a second," the irritable Dark Elf says before going off to fetch M'rek's supper.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek nods to the Elf:

Just the beans and pork would be fine now, thanks for your time...
Now, where could I find an Archeologist? Damned big city!

After M'rek finishes his meal (with relish) he will pay and leave the pub looking for an Archeologist, or someone who might know anything about the Hissing Prophcy...

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Given that Kadar judges that Cortek isn't likely to immediately kill him he says the comments in my last post.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji is actually quiet, just watching the interchange and taging along.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Did anything happen to the game?

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

I'm with JOR -what is going on? I mean the campaign is awesome, and we all seemed to be posting at least once a day -most more frequently than that -but it has now been a three day lull (exluding JOR and my posts) -what gives?

Duckluck -are you ok? Or are you waiting for something or someone to post?

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(Let me call him. Last time we talked, he was a little under the weather.)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[I was actually just waiting for Korchuk to reply...]

M'rek sits at the counter and eats his beans.

The rest of you get to walk over to the Tower of the Wyrm...

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[sorry guys I was waiting for Korchuk too, I kind of finished with an offer last post]
Given the state of their new companion Kadar walks along, leading the way to the tower of the Wyrm, keeping his eyes open for danger and occasionally pointing out interesting landmarks in an attempt to engage with Cortek.

Diplomacy check

7 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+7, the result is 25.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Fascinating, Fascinating, all this bubble-talk. Can't help but notice that we aren't near Kines', though."

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji randomly begins to catch the tumbling stones in his mouth, till his elastic cheeks are filled with the myriad metallic spheres. Upon hearing Baba's remark, he spits out the jumble of spheres into his ghoul-hide satchel (with the two dull gray iouns rising to resume their lazy orbit), and turns to the heavily layered shopkeeper:

"What kind of kines -the Kind of Kine that is the Kin of Kine or the Kind of Kine that is Bovine, or the other Kind of Kine whose nature is not in the possession of mine?"

(Linji is actually interested -far more so than in the hulking figure who has most recently hired Kadar's services, and so tries to be very good and smiles -mouth now sling-stone free)

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Kines isn't so far from the tower" replies Kadar, smiling at Linji's word-play "they're at the same end of the ward so it's just a small detour and while the safety's worth it, the rub of travelling as a group is that it always takes a little longer. Besides, the extra walk will give you a chance to air out after your altercation with that puddle."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

A little dwarven girl walks by and points to Linji, "Look, Mama, a jugglie-man!" The girl's mother looks and sees Cortek and immediately snaps up her daughter and leaves quickly.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji interrupts himself, and pointing in the direction of the fleeing other and dwarf-child says:

"Look, jugglie-man, a Mama!"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

The woman flees all the quicker when she hears that the man is obviously barmy, and is quickly out of sight. You hear a man laugh, but when you turn your head, he is nowhere to be seen.

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba shakes his head and trudges along. That's enough of a response, really.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar smiles quietly to himself before continuing to describe the methods used to bring the particular materials seen in this district into Sigil.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar, Linji, Baba, and Cortek: It is a long walk to the Lady's Ward, and people look at you strangely every step of the way, but eventually you make it to the Tower of the Wyrm. After dropping off Cortek (who, as I mentioned OOC, is best left alone 'til Korchuk returns), you are down to three again.

M'rek: You eat the beans are a free to leave, although that doesn't mean you actually have any idea where to go.

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.