This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji heartily enjoying the exchange with the Nathri (as well as giving an appreciative nod to Kadar -and "pat" to the cloak), replies to M'rek:

"Linji has bananas, unless he doesn't, and eating is a current that swims both ways."

With that, Linji puts his shoes on his head (the brown one, then the blue), but grows very exitedly happy upon hearing M'rek speaking of masks, and the shoes tumble to the street-step.

"And what a glorious Mask it is! Yes, many Faces -many Masks -the Four-Fold-Unfolding Masks of Teotl! They reveal much and conceal much, all at once! Linji for one loves the left ear! (pointing to M'rek's crooked left ear)."

Putting his shoes back on, Linji streches and replies:

"Linji's mask is in many places among the masks of many. But yes, there are sages, (he then nearly croaks in Slaad) TlaMatINimE!. Linji doesn not know what they may say about this prophecy -Linji has not remember hearing such a thing -unless he has forgotten the rememberance -which may mean he may remember the forgotenence too!"

And then in answer to M'rek's final question, Linji ponders the question for a time, and then answering, as he takes out a small chipped ceramic cup, pours out a cup-full of tea on the stone-floor, and then sips, spilling more, and then answers:

"Linji of the day-after-yesterday is indeed the descendant of that Linji. He is not all of him, but more and less, and so is more or less Linji of then. There is much smoke -though then it was mist."

(then spilling the cup again -and if anyone spots, the cup is still full, Linji traces his finger in the spilled tea, making patterns of lilies and birds, all being swallowed by a snake).

"Are you Bakris?"

(regardless of the answer), Linji stares down at the now-dried tea-stains, and scoops up a handful of the sandy grit of the Sandstone district, and then pours it over the designs. At the same time, he traces his fingure in the sand -an image of a sun, or a lion with a snake tail, or two, or many -the image obscoured by the sand. Staring at the symbols of some time, Linji then looks up at M'rek, smiling, and offers him a drink of tea from his small cup:

"Linji will help you in your quest -unless Linji is helpless. Linji misses the mask of Zhao, but now with the OlLiN of smoke-then-mist-now-sand, Linji has good friend Kadar, who is a different mask, but many of the same colors and flowers-XoChItAL-though Linji still is missing Wu. Does Nathri of ungiven un-name want Linji's help?"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Meanwhile, Kines mutters, "I swear we get more barmies by the day. Well, nevermind, you lot must be cold. Come in and I'll let you guys get first crack at the new pepper shipment from Gehenna. I swear, they're the second spiciest thing in the Outer Planes. After your insanity sauce, of course."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Care to join us?" Kadar asks M'rek as he turns to enter the shop "I'm going to lann myself about this prophecy as well and I'd be happy to join up with you if you could use the help."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji? The Hero? For a second M'rek is so surprised he drops his disguise and shifts back to his real face...then back, then shrugs and assumes his face again and speaks in a fast starkly punctuated frases, answering all the questions posed to him in a fluid stream:
" The Linji?! the hero of the Bakris!? Have you met their seer, Vek? She says a Linji and Zhao, saved them Bakris from the gaunts!
Of course! You are wellcome to join me,. I certainly need help. Hard enough to navigate in this barmy Cage of yours. Harder with every half-cent would be mugger slobbering after your purse!! And no, no mare bananas, but sure, I would love some tea. (and looking around at the others) So, are you also going to join M'rek and save everything?"

PS: I did not roll for the wand healing, tought DK might want to, but here goes

1 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d8+1, the result is 6.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kines has already started heating the kettle when you enter the building, and he leads you past a wide variety of crops from Elysian carrots to Pandemonian cannabis (the last one isn't labeled as such, but the contents are obvious). After he has given you a good look at the merchandise, he leads you to the backroom where he has set up a table and some chairs "Well, make yourselves comfortable, now what can I do for you bashers beside tea?"

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Hearing M'rek's happy, and somewhat bewildered, response, Linji springs up, and then putting his tea cup (still full) and extends his long hand to help M'rek stand up. He gives a thankful nod to Kadar, and enters Kines' shop.

Following the group into the shop (which he stands at avid fascination at all the teas and herbs -he is especially interested in the Pandemonium Cannibus -is there a price?), Linji will try sit down in any cushy seat availible, and if none are, then he will merely continue to stroll about the group.

Linji waits for the tea, and for now let's the others respond to Kines.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Most items in the store don't have listed prices. It's not that kind of shop.

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba gratefully sinks into a chair. "I'll take the Mangos, if it's all the same to you. The pepper sounds good, but the spice business hasn't been doing so well lately. It's like gnomes suddenly forgot how to be men.

"Speaking of which, fruit seems to be in this season. What's the best?"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Well everyone is always going on about how great Elysian pears are, but I'm more fond of Abyssal spiced pears myself. They take more work to grow what with the excorcism and all, but it's totally worth it. I think I still have a crate in the back if you'd like to try one, but they aren't cheap." You get the impression that he is capable of discussing produce for a very long time.

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek takes the paper and glances over what it says briefly as he starts toward the location to talk to this "Raju." (what does it say, for curiosity's sake?)

(Dice Roll is Heal check from before)

5 Bonus for Heal to do
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 12.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(speaking to Kines in response to his question) "I could murder a fire-fruit about now, and could you slip a little 'Old Brimstone' into my tea? It's been one of those days."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: [Looks like your bandages weren't worth anything, but M'rek's wand healed you 6.] The note is written in nearly inscrutable chicken scratch, but it seems to say, "Prospective Namer. Looks promising." The signature at end of the note is entirely illegible. The room the receptionist sent you to has it's door wide open and a tan-skinned human with sandy hair sits at a desk inside. He looks up from some forms he is filling out and asks, "Yes, can I help you?" he speaks with a faint accent but you can't quite recognise it.

Kadar:"Firefruit, eh? I think I have some in the back. Oops, time to make the tea." and he rushes off leaving the four of you alone.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"So I take it you've heard of Linji's trip to the Ether then? M'rek was it? Does that have anything to do with this propecy you keep rattling your bone-box about?" asks Kadar as he plants himself into a near by chair.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Well, I'm evidently a prospective namer. I'm told I need to complete a task to join the Sodkillers?" Cortek says as he hands the piece of paper to the man.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji likewise listens, but is somewhat distracted by the lure of the Pandemonium Cannibus.

{What does it look like and what is it in -i.e. could someone just "take" it? Essentially a Spot check, I suppose -he's not actively searching it, touching it, etc}

8 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 13.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: After a quick glance at the paper, Raju nods and smiles, "I'm Raju. I don't care what stupid name your friends call you, until you prove yourself worthy, you have only one name: "meat." At any rate, Jayha thinks you're worth my time, and I see no reason not to agree, so I might as well get straight to the briefing. Earlier today there were a number of disturbances in the Hive. Eyewitnesses report an undead Mind Flayer fighting a Gnomish Summoner of some sort, a band of Githyanki attacked a Githzerai in broad daylight, and a damnable Werebear was seen chasing a Tiefling through the streets and managed to cause more collateral damage than a runaway juggernaut. We even had a band of goddamn kobolds hold up a mercenary in the street!" he looks at your bloodstains pointedly, "We get payed good money to keep the Hive under control, and we can't even deal with a bunch of damn rat-eaters! Frankly it's an embarassment. At any rate, our agents have finally managed to subdue the sodding Flayer, and the Githyanki have already been scragged by those worthless mercy-mongers in the city watch, but we still need to dispense with a lot more justice before we'll redeem ourselves for this mess. That's where you come in. I want you to find someone who was involved in one of these incidents and bring him or her to justice. I don't care who, I don't care how, just as long as we have something to say for ourselves when the Sharper Eye asks for a statement. Here's a temporary writ of membership. If your brainbox is to loose for you to find any leads yourself, then show this to the berks down at the Minder's Guildhall in Clerks and they'll tell you what to do." He scrawls "Sodkiller in Training" on a sheet of paper, gives it a stamp with his signet ring, and hands it to you while it's still wet.

Linji: As marijuana goes, it is somewhat uninspiring. It looks like the cheap stuff you can buy from any shop in the Red Lotus Blossum District, and it doesn't even look particularly fresh. You wonder if perhaps Kines only bought it because of the novelty of owning an intoxicant grown by barmies on a plane with no sunlight.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Ah, the Pandemonium Plant has lost its lure, and Linji returns to the conversation at hand.

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Hearing that, Cortek would just go smash the Kobolds, but he doesn't really know where they are now. Since it sounds like leads are being handed to him, he heads over to the Minder's Guild in Clerks.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cor: The guildhall in Clerks is a squat unassuming building made in much the same style as the other buildings in the area. Were it not for the Sign that said "Minder's Guild" and the considerable commotion outside, you probably would have walked right past it. A crowd of people is gathered outside the Guildhall, and all of them look like they make their livings through violence.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek enters the war shop and sips his tea in silecce for a while. Since the Nathri have no gods, the closest personification of a higher power they have is hero worship, and here, in front of him stands a true demi-god, a hero ofv his people, cloaked in a guise of lunacy that almost, just almost makes sense. S'leykh's quest magic is powerful indeed...
After calming himself ove some mouthfuls of tea, M'rek adresses Kadar's question, trying to dispel a first imnpression of recklessness:

"Linji is a true hero of the Bakris and by extension of all Nathri, even those clans who war on the Bakris would highly honour Zhao and Linji for their gallantry towards the kin. And the prophecy must be guiding me to him, and by extension to you all...what would be the odds otherwise...although I suspect that another prophecy is being born out of the magic perceived only by the wise ones who live on the ether, the one which will fight the Hissing one for the sake of everything...this I begin to believe...so bloods what do YOU believe in? What prophecy or quest guides your steps?"
PS: I might not post as frequently as I like for a few days until January, please bear with me if you will, it might take a while, but I will answer...

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba stares at the wall for a moment, then drags out his things and makes sure they're relatively intact. They are.

It's fairly obvious he's trying to ignore what's going on.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar smiles at the Nathris' refreshingly direct method of questioning "I follow the path of the trancendant order, the Verse rattles its bone box to me when I take the time to park my ears and I do what I can to fulfil my part within it. The Cadence tells me this prophecy of yours is important to it so I'll do what I can to help you complete your role."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Cipher, eh?" Kines says as he walks back into the room carrying a tea tray with a bowl of various planar fruit on it, "My second cousin is a Cipher of some repute, you know, but it's been ages since I talked to her."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Really? Where does she call kip now days? A lot have headed out of town to Elysium."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Oh Rhys is around here somewhere. It's been a while since I've talked to her though, and she always was hard to pin down."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

*stunned silence for a moment*

"Ah, yes she certainly keeps busy, what with the council and all."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"You needn't be so shocked boy. How many influential tiefling women are there in the Transcendent Order? Or did you not notice the horns?" He pulls back his graying bangs to show two fleshy nubs protruding from his skull, they seem to be the only Fiendish thing about him. He smiles and continues, "Of course, Rhys and I are actually related on the human side of the familly. I get the horns from my great-grandfather Dispater (or maybe just one of his lieutenents. We aren't really sure because old Dissy had her executed just in case)." He laughs. Nothing in any of your collective backgrounds prepared you for the monumental task of figuring out whether or not he's joking. He seems to be getting a good laugh out of your reactions either way.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

EDIT: double post erroneous

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"You'd have to know who the sodding berk was first before you could answer that question. I don't even know what the prophecy is, just that it's yet another end of the multiverse deal, and the Sinkers won't stop rattlin' their boneboxes 'bout it.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji squirms under M'rek's naming him a hero (much less a god!). He seemed about to make some comment to wave off any connection, but stops as he hears Kine's talk of Dispater and Rhys. While surprised, Linji doesn't worry about whether Kine is joking or serious, but happily responds:

"I was once seeing a painting of Ygorl and Dispater dancing -they kissed and had a litter of baby Umbral Blots -cute Umbral Blots though -just like kitty-cats."

He sips his tea, then gulps hit down -placing his finger in the empty space of the cup, and then asks:

"Why is the Prophet Hissing?"

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Unless there's something blocking his entry, or another line, Cortek heads on in, and attempts to scope out someone who knows what they're talking about.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: A man who looks like he could wrestle a Fhorge with his bare hands stops you has you move to enter, "You there, we're on high alert! State your name and purpose, or pike off."

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba doesn't take Kines' bait, pulling at his tea slowly. "As long as the Sinkers are rattling their boneboxes, they aren't shedding blood in the streets." Baba sips his tea for a moment. "In any case, the Doomguard aren't the only thing odd lately. Just the other month, I had a party of Khaasta come into my shop and actually buy something."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kines quirks an eyebrow, "Really? I didn't know you sold weapons."

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek decides to pike off, doubting any business can be conducted on high alert. Having been referred specifically to this branch, he waits in the general area, somewhat trying to overhear what would have them on such high alert from the crowd's chatter.

(Any checks needed?)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Did you hear?" One nearby man asks another, "Some sodding Flayer has been lobotomizing berks all over the Hive! I hear the Sellswords have had their hands full dealing with it." the other man scoffs, "That's it? From the way they've been rattling their boneboxes, you'd think half the burg was ablaze. Those paranoid bashers need to learn to stop locking down the guildhouse every time a sodding Prime wanders through the wrong portal."

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek gets the feeling that this is nothing new, but is quite certain he won't get any more official jobs than any of the mercenaries in the crowd in front of him. "A Flayer, eh?" he thinks. Confident in himself he may be, but a flayer is a bit more than he wants to handle, regardless of whether or not he can.

(Cortek patiently waits in the area, still listening for any good information, figuring it has to open eventually, and Sigil's cycles will let him know when and if it's time to just find a room for the night.)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: You wait around a bit, but no one in the crowd seems to have any information you don't know already. Eventually, the crowd starts to disperse but just as they do, a squad of ichor-soaked men in bloody armor come in carrying the body, or at least the pieces of the body, of a very dead Illithid. What's left of the crowd cheers, but the men only grunt and keep walking. It looks like they've had a very long night.

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(Well, is the guildhall off alert now? Also, what's up, haven't seen anyone post in a while.)

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{I'm here too -just waiting for something to happen really}

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[Likewise, I figured JOR or OF would be speaking next so I kind of kept quiet, also, since we've got someone new signing on I figured it wouldn't hurt to wait a while. I'm ready to propose that we go to the Festhall to track down info on the prophecy if everyone else is (once I've finished my tea).]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Agreed on all points -though Linji would point out that we could all pretend to be Sinkers, join, and try to find out what all the hub-bub is about since they are the one's flapping their lipse}

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{You know, you're allowed to use the OOC chat for this kind of thing.}

Cor: [I figured you'd want to talk to them, or at least give a reaction before I took them off high alert. Well, nevermind.] After a few moments, the Minders walk into the guildhall and a man walks out and shouts to the crowd, "We're off High Alert, but pike off unless you have real business!"

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

After finishing his flaming fruit and putting down his cup Kadar turns to Linji and M'rek.

"Sounds like we'll be tracking down some Sinkers, did I hear rightly that they've parked themselves near the Festhall? Didn't know that was their kind of place unless they were carrying alchemists fire."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar: "Near the Festhall? Kines asks, "Not that I know of. Not sure where you can find the sinkers now, besides the Citadels."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[To Kines]"Thought that sounded odd"
[to M'rek]"what are you hoping to find at the Festhall?"

[I know JoR said he might not be able to post often so feel free to jump in anyone - I know the answer is 'scholars' but I'm digging for specifics of what he knows/wants to know]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M`rek looks slowly around his mates at table, begins to answer and then stops, as if surprised with the direction his toughts led him...then he begins again with a smirk on his wide mouth:

Well, priests or sages, or seers, if I was lucky, or whatever you cages have for dispensing wisdom around here, but the more I think, the more I believe that I came here to find you bashers...
But I think you have a good notion there, we could just ask about this Hissing Prophet a bit around here and then knock on these doomguards' doors a bit...what say you?

Korchuk's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-25
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek attempts to head into the guild, with his bit from Raju, albeit fearing he may be a bit late by now.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Cortek: The Fhorge wrestler cuts you off again, "Yes, what is it berk?"

The rest of you: Kines looks at M'rek weirdly and says, "I've never been one for prophecies or portents. They are wrong more often than they are right and vague more often than clear. Oh, and they cause a lot of trouble. Dispater killed my Great Grandmother because it was fortold that she would lead to the overthrow of his empire. Of course, that prophecy pretty much died when my grandfather took up farming..."

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek turns to Kines and with disarming simplicity offers a counter argument to his reasoning, a clarity of thinking that looks slightly out of place taking into account all that you have herd from the little Nathri so far:

"Even if you do not believe in them, prophecies have at least two things going for them, one it is very hard to really prove that they are wrong, even in the case of your great grandfather as long as he is alive his downfall can still be brought about by something your great grandmother did...including you...The second thing is that even when they are completelly barmy they are excellent ways to mobilise people and resources in one direction or another....powerfull tools all in all, even for a cynic...for me? Well for me its easier because I am Nathri and a born believer..what else would force a blood to eat that protoplasm garbage day in day out if not the hope of a better future someday, somwhere??"

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.