This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kines laughs, "The prophecy was total screed fed to Dispater by one of his other consorts. It means nothing, I'm sure of it. No one can truly see the future, people can only see what exists in the moment, and what existed in past moments. Seers say otherwise, but the fact is: good prophets are those who have a good understanding of what has happened and use that understanding to predict what is to come. Why did your elder know about the prophecy before most of the Cage did? Simple, someone told him."

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba touches his forehead and sighs. "You're about three feet from arguing like crudes in void."

"You aren't going to convince each other you're right, and if I hear correctly, you know about as much about real arcana as a Cipher born and raised in a hole in the spire. Here's the truth, best as anyone knows. No real, duplicable magic can predict the future. However, there's an exception to every rule, and powers' prophecies aren't all screed. Even an Athar's pulled a valid one from the center every once in a while - and I don't think anyone can see those coming. In any case, like everything worthwhile, there's a bit of magic and a bit of work. So you're both wrong."

"Now can you stop arguing about it?" Baba stands up and pushes away his chair. "Kines, thanks for the tea. I will ask a wizardling to come by and disk some produce back - I'll take as many oranges as you've got and a couple of other exotics."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Good, good. Now, if that's all, I think I'll see you another time. It's getting late after all."

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek nods vigorously as he hears kines arguments:

"Yes, yes, yes, but still, they are pretty powerfull even if they are screed are they not...the one fed to this Dispater fellow even got your relative killed, did it not??"
And then nodding also to Baba,

"So you seem to know a thing or two about the arcane hein? So where should we go or whom should we ask about this prophecy of the hisses?? "

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji watches the unfolding of the conversation, and upon seeing Baba get up to leave and Kines saying farewell, Linji finishes the last sip of tea. With a flick of his wrist, he spins the tea cup upside down and sets the saucer bottom-up on top of it.

He gives the tiefling host a farewell:

"The Tea was mild and with a pinch of salt, but the after-taste remains to be tasted, so until after, the mystery is the gift of the present."

He seems to look if Kadar is likewise ready to leave (assuming M'rek is also en route to leave as he is atttempting to pry info from the stuffy gnome), and heads to the door, to be "finding Someone-who-Sinks" and looking forward to a trip to the Festhall.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Salt? But, the tea was black with a bit of lemon..." Kines sighs and then gives up, "Good night you all. Oh, and Baba, when you send your boy to pick up the fruit, tell him to be careful. Last time, he bruised some perfectly good Death Blossums."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar smiles at Linji's parting comment and Kines' reaction to it as he follows the party out.
"Say hello to your cousin for me if you see her" he calls back to Kines "and thanks for the tea."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"He's a bit excitable, that one." Baba scrunches together his coats and heads to the doorway, then turns back. "Well, we might as well see what's going on with all this. Don't know why I'm bothering, but I suppose I'll get no rest if I don't. Might as well find out before it gets too cold."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kines says goodbye and shuts the door, obviously looking forward to going to sleep. The rest of you find yourselves in a deserted Sandstone District just after anti-peak.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Well I'm ready to go poke around at the Festhall now" announces Kadar to the group, "but if anyone's feeling weary we can head to my place to kip up for the night"

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji yawns and then replies to the rest of the group:

"To Sleep the Dream or to Dream the Sleep, it makes no difference to Linji even if there is one."

He looks at Baba and M'rek to see how they feel (and keeps his eyes and ears open for Wu -Spot & Listen checks).

9 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 29.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 13.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

There are a few echoes from some commotion several blocks away, a couple of Deep Dwarf youths smoking in a nearby alley, and a pack of Cranium rats raiding Kines' garbage, but nothing out of the ordinary, and no sign of any Aoskian hound.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M´rek grins widely upon hearing the word Festhall:

"Just lead on to the Festhall ...I´ll be one step behind you bashers!"

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Right then, lets get going." states Kadar as he begins to head towards the festhall

[OOC - sorry if that seemed a bit arbitrary guys, just trying to get us going through the story again]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji nods and then jumps up on his hands, trying to walk for a time on his hands {and with his 40' movement rate, half speed should keep up with M'rek -until otherwise distracted, Linji takes the 10 and thus gets a 22 on his Balance check, which hopefully is more than good enough}

Following Kadar, Linji (still walking on his hands), turns to M'rek:

"Whats is M'rek's favorite color?"

(OOC: no problem, Azriael, I, too would like to get this show on the road)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Everyone but Cortek: After an uneventful walk you come to a massive and beautifully decorated building that all but one of you immediately recognise as the Civic Festhall. There seems to be some excitement outside. This isn't a surprise though, as there is always something going on outside the Festhall. That said, there is a definite nocturnal nature to the current visitors. From the band of armed kobolds buying Cranium Rat kebabs from an extremely nervous Deep Gnome vendor to a group of what appear to be vampires entering the Festhall in formal wear, it is clearly night time in Sigil.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Fascinated by the dance of Teotl, Linji heads over to the Deep Gnome, and then raising his left hand, as if to point up with his index finger (which is just a stump, long ago bit off by a Slaad Bori-bori artist), asks:

"What is the Value of Cranium Rat-kebabs?"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Most people would just roll their eyes and say "six greens" but Gnomes are weird, and Svirfneblin are weirder, and this one has the unfortunate habit of rambling endlessly when he's frightened, "There's no value beyond the percieved. The more a body wants something the more he values, and most berks hafta be pretty hungry to want ta eat a fried rat, and if ya don't want someat much, ya don't want ta pay for it. Not those fine bloods though," he gestures to the kobolds, "Those fine soldiers seemed ta really want some fried rat. O' course they's good business so I offered 'em my group discount and my millitary discount and they seemed pretty happy about the whole thing. I guess they don't get a lot o' good rats in Acheron," his mind seems to drift for a bit and he finally says, "What was I talking about? Oh yeah, one kebab'll be six greens."

Incidentally, none of you've ever heard of kobolds being on Acheron, and one suspects he has them confused with goblins. Svirfneblin have so many ememies, it's not surprising they have trouple keeping them straight.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji listens with rapt attention -to the chaond, the rambling makes more sense than all the sophists combined. In humble gratitude for the great lesson, Linji goes to bit his finger off (but can't since it is gone).

In payment of the lesson, Linji throws down 7 silvers and a gold piece:

"What the value of its worth is up to you."

Turning to the armored kobolds, Linji asks (and trying not to imagine the current of sardines wrapped in tin that he once swam through in Limbo):

"Have you seen the Cat? The Hissing Cat -it may have scared away the Rats -or is the Hissing of the Prophet, or maybe the Prophet has a prophecy that hisses like a Cat."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

The kobold in question glares at Linji, "Have I seen the hissing cat? Is that some kind of racial slur? You think that just because I'm a kobold I know all about hissing prophecies and such? I'm a soldier, not a cultist, and Kurtulmak be damned anyone who says otherwise!" Some people are just touchy.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar smiles at the exchange and settles in to watch. He leans back against a handy sculpture (or possibly a street performer, sometimes it's hard to tell around here).

While he doubts they'll be needed he subtly loosens his dao in their scabbards. After all the gnome did say these kobolds were from Acheron

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji's smile is sincere and with hands spread open, turns his attention to the enflamed kobold:

"Blades lie in your sheathes, but only words lie in my mouth -unless I tell the truth. Be remembering to eat the Cat that eats the Rats and you will grow fat."

Linji then turns to go (but stops mid-way upon seeing the Deep Gnome, bowing and miming himself drinking from a cup, saying:

"The Tea has becoming great -and still is."

Walking back to his companions -assuming he isn't mobbed by a bunch of reptilian pygmies- Linji pats the statue (or performer) that Kadar is leaning upon, and then with a sweeping gesture, as if motioning Kadar to lead the way, says:

"O Tout of Touts, may Kylie forever kiss you shadowless lips if you would be so kind to show us the one path among the unset of infinity -preferably, including Sinkers, Hissing, or Half-Modron Dire Weasels..."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar flashes a brief smile at the mention of Kylie then, appearing somewhat embarrassed, begins to lead the way into the Festhall, or at least into the line going in.

He chats with his companions as they work their way into the building "I know the hall of information is the obvious place to look for the chant on this prophet but lets face it, those berks'd just send us here. Anyway at least this place has a bit of life to it."

Kadar will begin looking for a greeter near the doorway once inside if nothing occurs on the way in.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Hello Gleedon, I realise it's a bit late but are there any seminars coming up on the hissing prophet?" Kadar pauses for a moment "Or failing that one on the nature of entropy in the outer planes?"

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

The kobolds glare at you as you walk off. Inside the Festhall, things are fairly dark, and many of the doors look as if they've been locked for the night. Suddenly, you realize there is a dark-skinned man standing in front of you, "Hello and welcome to the Civic Festhall! enthuses a handsome man with a million mert smile, "My name is Gleedon. Tonights plays are The Kobold Who Would Be King, and The Vampire of the Opera. Is there anything special you were looking for?"

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Gleedon thinks for a moment, "Nothing on either of those, although there's one tomorrow on the true nature of the Spire that might be what you're looking for. Plus you could check over at the Hall of Speakers. The recent crisis seems to be all anyone over there will talk about."

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Which crisis'd that be? It's getting hard to keep up."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Leaning toward's Kadar's ear, Linji whispers:

"The unset-of-I would like to see the seminar of the Spire on the morrow -Linji was once dreaming that the Spire was a mountain that turned into a stick that was used to churn a cosmos of milk -or was it to wash laundry?"

Nodding to see if Kadar understands, he lets his tout-friend resume his conversation with Gleedon.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar nods in reply to Linji looking uncharacteristically thoughtful before replying,

"Ending again is it? Are they planning on speeding it up, slowing it down or haven't they decided yet?" he quips "I suppose we should take a look anyway, there may be some baubles amongst the screed. By the way what time is that seminar tomorrow and who's taking it, sounds like it'll be worth hearing."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Haven't you heard? The Guvners announced that the Dead Magic zone around the Spire was getting bigger, and now the Sinkers say the multiverse is ending." He rolls his eyes.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Just after Peak. A Gnome from the Fraternity of Order likes to come out and 'educate the masses.' Most of the time he just rants about how much better law is than chaos, but last week he gave a very interesting lecture on the Prime world of Eberron. Apparently, the primes there think they have totally different planes from us, and so far we've no luck proving otherwise." He shrugs.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

“Hmph, hope that sort of talk doesn’t spread too far or we’ll all be out of a kip.” Kadar snorts “Aah well, at least it means they’ll be handing over a few extra jink once they do end up out here and I have to lann them the dark of it.”

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[OOC- Sorry about the double post, wanted to bump the thread to get it moving again]

Kadar bids Gleedon farewell and begins to lead on towards the Hall of Speakers, dipping his hat to the kobolds on the way past.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji follows his tout-friend, absent-mindely tapping his nose with his long tongue, half-lost in contemplation.

EDIT: removal of all node references. Laughing out loud

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Hey, leave your node alone!

You get a glare from the kobolds as they walk into the Festhall, and then start walking through the ward. Make Listen Checks. (Dun, Dun, Dun!)

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Listen check

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 11.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Listen Check

8 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 28.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Jostling for space witrh the kobolds M`rek manages to reach the kebab vendor and purchase some rare cranium rat kebabs...he digs into them with gusto, sucking the remaning of the long tails spaguetti like...

"I would love to see the talk on the spire tomorrow, but what are we going to do tonight?"

PS: I am back in the (new) job with full access to the computer now, and happy to see the game still alive!! Count on regular postings from now on!

PS2: my listen roll was 20

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 20.
Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji turns around and goes to give the Barghest-blooded Nathri a big hug -as if he hadn't heard or seen from him in weeks...

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Taken aback by the chaond´s unexpected demonstration of affection M´rek smiles bradly showing a good expanse of teeth , then with a playfull look states to his newfound frien:

" Hey!! Back at you! No need for that you know, if you want a rat kebabk you just need to ask...here you go, cranium a La Mode!"

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji graciously accepts the "impaled-brain-mouse" and swallows it whole (whether it comes back up if up to Duckluck).

(OOC: are we waiting on OF, Duckluck?)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

[OF told me to post for him. Apparently, he's been having some misfortune lately that he needs to sort through. I'm sure he'll be back soon though.]

Those of you who rolled twenties can hear faint voices coming from somewhere nearby. It seems to be an argument that may have perhaps gotten a little too heated, "What do you mean abort? We've got them right where we want them?" "Silence fool, can't you see they're being watched?" "I don't see anyone!""That's the point, this is Sigil, there's always someone, the fact that we can't see them just means they're hiding, now shut it before they hear us!" Kadar, hears nothing.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Hearing the voices, Linji allows himself to vomit up the partially digested cranium rat, and as he "retches", he takes the opportunity to look around, seeing if he can pinpoint the source of the voices admist the crowd (hopefully aided by the fact that "true" passer-by's will scatter away from a Chaond-puking rat-brains).

Also, as he doubles over (taking an opportunity to look "low" too), Linji whispers to M'rek:

"Be small."

(OOC: Ok, I made a Move Silently -relative to telling M'rek to hide (he doesn't want to be heard), -otherwise, I realize, Linji is making a whole lot of noise)

Move Silently: 19
Spot (obvious reason): 21 (not sure if with the 28 listen, I might be able to get a bonus of some time relative to where to look and all)

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 10.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 13.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar gives Linji a sympathetic look and glances around at the disgusted onlookers.

"sorry" he calls out, "bad rat"

(not sure if I'm able to but I'll roll a spot check to see if I notice anything unusual when I turn to speak to the crowd - I imagine there'll be some kind of penalty because I'm not expecting to see anything unusual)

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 12.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

For the record, you're a bit away from the crowd now, as you're actually a couple blocks from the Festhall. Sorry, M'rek's reappearance confused the whole geographical positioning thing.

The voices seemed to come from somewhere in or around the apartments on the left side of the street, but where exactly they are elludes you, as it is dark (I know, Darkvision, but people in Sigil learn to expect that sort of thing) and they are certain to be well hidden, if they haven't fled already. You don't see much else upon looking around, but the tingly feeling on the back of your neck suggests that there is still someone out there.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"How're you doing there Linji" asks a mildly repulsed Kadar "Did the rat put up a fight?"

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(OOC: Oh, sorry, I thought we were still admist the crowd -still doesn't change too much though, as Linji would have taken the opportunity of throwing up to cover for a visial sweep of the area. The only thing different being that he would'nt have told M'rek to "Be Small" as he couldn't disappear in a crowd that isn't there).

Linji seems to recover from his wretching, a sour look upon his face. Sidestepping away from the pile of psychic-mouse puke (moving just a step or two closer to the area from where the voices seemed to have originated), Linji pulls out his chipped tea cup from his satchel.

(As he does so, he takes the opportunity to once again listen and look for the "voices" -i.e. Spot and Listen. Also, what language were they speaking -and could Linji tell perhaps anything from their inflection -i.e. native Cager or goblin-accent, etc).

Rinsing his mouth -and chin- with some of his magical tea, Linji smiles and replies to Kadar:

"The Rat? -nay, the rat wasn't the problem -it was the Cat I ate yesterday. It seems it got all jumpy when the rat tried to move in on its turf (It's a mean kitty). Anyways, the rat got awfully scared and tried to run away. And, well, there you go", the chaond-gith says as he points over to the still-wet chunks of rat-kebobs "-or should I say, there it goes."

Putting his tea cup away and licking his lips with his long tongue, he nods -as if agreeing with himself:

"So Linji is a little sad that the rat did not put up a fight, but oh well, maybe later. Besides feeling the lurking menace of the fussy Cat, Linji is ready to go be dreaming the sleep."

With that he gives a great, big yawn and starts to move in the direction they were originally headed. (unless, of course, he sees or hears anything else of note)

Spot: 18
Listen: 17

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 10.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 9.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

The voices sounded human-ish, and spoke in Cant, but not as strongly as most Sigilites, probably they are originally from the Prime or some other plane where the dialect isn't as strong. Either way they appear to be no where to be seen (or heard), so probably they have fled already.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar chuckles at his friends explanation and trots along after him, being careful to avoid the half dissolved rat remains.

[OOC: obligatory bitch about bad dice rolls]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji laughs as well, trotting along with Kadar and M'rek (OOC: Is Baba still with us?).

Putting his arm conspiratorily around Kadar, Linji whispers loudly to his friend:

"Well, how about we crash someone's kip for some "winks" -I happen to know of this tiefer tout that has a pretty decent one in the Sandstone District -heh, you might even know the guy! -So, what do you say?"

At that Linji gives a wide -mischevious, yet innocent, smile, awaiting his companions' responses, but not before adding one last remark:

"Dibs on underneath the bed!"

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.