This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

1286 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba holds his breath and 'swims' frantically after Kadar. Without the ability to see, talk, or even breathe, blind panic sets in. He struggles against the current and tries not to comprehend what he's likely swimming in.

(Swim Check)

-1 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+-1, the result is 2.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M`rek: Just as you are melting into the crowd, strong arms grab you from behind. Not a guard, but just a man in the crowd. The man grabs you violently (I rolled the opposed check for you, just to keep things moving), shoves a packet of peanuts half-way down your throat, and literally throws you through the portal. You hurtle through the mud with the force of his throw, and crash through something hard, and land on something, or rather someone, squishy.

Kadar, Linji, and Baba (with some M`rek): {Ouch I rolled Swim checks for Kadar and Linji and got a seven and four respectively. And that's before I applied any penalties for swimming in Ooze.}

The current carries you away "deeper" into the Ooze. Things are looking grim and you are nearing asphyxiation, when arms grab you all from within the Ooze and pull you out of the mud. Suddenly, you are breathing air again in a dark room of muddy, moldering stone. Bones and bits of detritus litter the ground and a dozen little beady eyes are visible from lumps of mud. Closer examination reveals those lumps to be Mephits. Hungry Mephits.

The Mephits rise from the mud with murderous looks in their eyes, and things are not looking good when when a small muddy shape you can only assume is M`rek comes crashing through the ceiling and lands on one of them. A slimy stream of ooze runs down after him. The Mephits holding you panic and let go, but come back moments later ready for a fight. Roll for initiative.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Int Roll: 17

(OOC: I'm assuming this stone sphere? has air in it? Also, what is our relative position to each other -distances and such)

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 10.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M`rek

Shaking the excess ooze from his hair like a dog, M`rek rolls up ready for a fight: Initiative roll bellow:

(Also, was it possible to identify who was manhandling the little guy in such uncorteous manner? Anybody he has seen before?)

5 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 21.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(M'rek:Just some big guy. Human, probably)
(Linji: Yes there's air, I'm pretty sure I said as much. It's not a sphere though.)

Oh, and would you guys be so kind as to post your first actions as well, just to keep things moving quickly.

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek

If he attacks before the Mephits (init 21), and thus has sneak damage, M'rek will move towards one of the Mephits closest to the group and attack it, hopefully by flanking,even if he has to tumble to do so (with a +14 skill, he succeeds even on a one...).
He then attacks with its spike (see attack bellow). If he hits he will reduce 1d6 of his sneak to steal the mephits immunity to its own breath weapon, and thus deal 1d4+1, plus 1d6, plus poison 1d2 Int, 1d2dex (dc11).
also got 18 free check Knowledge the planes to remember bits of useful information against them mephits

Attack:
Ac16 (not including flank/flat footed)
damage 4, if not ffooted/flanked, 9 if so
+ steal Mephits' immunity to own breath weapon (watever energy type that is)
link
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=878476

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(once initiative is worked out)

Kadar draws his Dao's as he attacks the mephit nearest to Baba
Initiative (1d20+5=10)

assuming the mephit is still about by this time he attacks
Primary weapon (1d20+5=6)
Secondary weapon (1d20+4=15)

5 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+5, the result is 7.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji waits until a mephit comes within 10' -delaying as necessary, and then in a spring of action attacks, with his flailing strikes (1d4-1, roll of 3, so 2 attacks). As a swift action, Linji uses his Fiery Fist, to cause his hands and feet to be wreathed in flames. He then takes a 5' step and attacks twice against the same mephit, using a Stunning Fist should any of his strikes land.

Assuming they hit (i.e. they aren't atypical): the first strike deals 11 pts of damage (1d8+2[8]+1d6 [3]fire).
Second strike: 14 (rolledmax for damage [8] and 4 fire).

25 pts -huzzah! (I don't recall what the rules are regarding the Karach seals -i.e. whether they count as "magic" to overcome DR, so either 25, or 15).

9 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 15.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 18.
Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

When in doubt, light things on fire.

However, considering that Baba seems to be back on the paraelemental plane of Ooze and he's not quite certain what type of ooze it is, it's best to hold back on the whole 'lighting things on fire' bit. He prepares himself to blind the things [and step back 5 feet, if neccessary] with a glitterdust. They may be made of ooze, but they've got eyes - eyes that'll be darned annoyed by spell confetti.

[Will Save DC 19, 10-foot radius spread, focus on hitting enemies w/out allies.]

2 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 8.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Normally I won't be this complex, but there are a lot of effects going around, so I'm being thurough.
Initiative and actions taken.
21: M`rek
You attack the Mephit and are startled to find that Mephits possess no immunity to their own breath weapons (at least none that I can find), and therefore, don't have an immunity to steal. You do however, severely injure Mephit 3. Incidentally, these are Ooze mephits and have Stinking cloud and Acid arrow as spell-like abilities. Also, they spit acid.

19: Mephit 1 (Now Blind)
19: Mephit 2
Mephits 1 & 2 both use their acidic breath weapons on Baba, Kadar, and Linji. (1d4 Reflex DC 13 for half. If you fail either save, you take a -4 penalty to AC and a -2 penalty on attack rolls for 3 rounds.

17: Linji
Mephit 4 is dead, dead dead.
13: Mephit 3 (Now dead)
Mephit 3 scrabbles ineffectually at Kadar but is distracted by M'rek's stabbing.
12: Mephit 4 (very dead)
Mephit 4, splatters into the mud.
10: Kadar
Kadar slices open Mephit 3 leaving the creature dead.

10: Mephit 5 (Blind)
Mephit 5 blasts Linji with an acid Arrow, but misses his mark...

9: Mephit 6
...as does Mephit 6

8: Baba
Baba's Glitterdust blinds three of the five surviving Mephits, and manages to avoid blinding M`rek in the process.

8: Mephit 7 (blind)
Mephit 7 is stunned by his blindness and casts Stinking cloud on the party, and the other Mephits. Make Fortitude saves at DC 15, failure means you're nauseated and can only make move actions.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji laughs manically at the awful joy of the chaos.

OOC: Two Reflexes, 14 and 24 -with Evasion, no damage.
Fort save vs. Stinking Cloud: 17.

(and assuming you want next round's action's declared)

Flipping admist the spurting acid and noxious vapors, Linji tumbles past a remaining "seeing" Ooze Mephit (so as to provide flanking bonus to any ally -understandably M'rek goes first), and then goes to backhand the oozey thing upside/inside its head.

[Tumble: 21
[Attack: 26, damage 9 pts (no Fiery Fist this round)]

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 3.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 13.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 11.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 5.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 15.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

First for the save:
17
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=882055

Also, here is the general entry that states that unless otherwise noted, all creatures are ummune to their own breath weapon (follow the breath weapon link on the monster description if you are using SRD online)

"Breath Weapon (Su): A breath weapon attack usually deals damage and is often based on some type of energy.
Such breath weapons allow a Reflex save for half damage (DC 10 + 1/2 breathing creature’s racial HD + breathing creature’s Con modifier; the exact DC is given in the creature’s descriptive text). A creature is immune to its own breath weapon unless otherwise noted. Some breath weapons allow a Fortitude save or a Will save instead of a Reflex save".

Now for the actions

With a quick wink at Kadar, M`rek will spin away to attack another mephit:
His preferences for a target are, in this order,
a) Someone he can use sneak attack against (blind or flanked)
b)One close enough so that he can use his two weapons on him (5` away), if he cannot reach someone with 5`movement ignore attack #2

c)If he can meet two conditions above and still chose, he will go for an unblinded adversary

If he cannot attcak moving only 5`he will tumble to flank someone else preferably number 6:

Attack number 1:
Ac 29, not including flanking, blindness, and -2 for two weapon fighting(critical threat)
damage: 12

Attcak number 2
AC: 13, not including eventual bonuses and penalties above
Damage 9
here is the link
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=882116

Now for the critical threat
Hit ac 24, without modifiers, but still, probably a crit, so add another 5 to first attack.
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=882125

Finally, please note that M[rek is NOT using magical weapons, so the first attack should be 17-5=12, and the other, if it hits, or takes place 9-5=4, finally the secondary attack delivers poison 1d2 dex, 1d2intdc 11.

As he stabs more or less innefectivelly against the oozy fiends, M'rek will turn to his companions and say...

"this is no good, my cold iron does not go through thuis muck well, anyone has some small weapon with magic in it?"

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Reflex (1d20+9=22, 1d20+9=21)
Fort (1d20+7=17)
Kadar shakes off the effects of the mephit breath and the cloud but the smell is clearly getting to him.

He moves to support Linji and M'rek, whilst still keeping himself between Baba and the rest of the mephits but gag's as he tries to reply to M'rek and misses with both blades.

attack 1 (1d20+5=8)

attack 2 (1d20+4=5)

[OOC- Pretty sure these were both misses, can't remember mephit AC off the top of my head]

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Saves

Clouds of acid singe the mage and his layers of clothing as Baba coughs, hacks, and spits. Luckily, however, he's mostly fine - this gagging is the verbal component to a summoning spell that brings into play a small horde of centipedes (Medium Fire Element).

Mostly unable to see, he directs his as-yet unseen summons to "Burn the things before they kill me!"

1 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d4+1, the result is 5.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Please include your TWF penalties from now on, it makes my life easier. also the Breath weapon immunity seems to be part of the breath weapon package, so you have to steal the whole thing.}M'rek runs over to Mephit 1 and rips him apart .

Mephit 2 blasts M'rek with an acid arrow, but misses.

Linji does a fancy flip and punches Mephit 2 in the face (Next turn, M'rek can 5' step over and finish him off)

Kadar's blades swing and twirl impressively at mephit 5, but accomplish nothing besides sending globs of mud everywhere).

Mephit 5 blindly spews its breath weapon all over Baba and Kadar, you know the drill.

Mephit 6 seems to be having a bad reaction to the stinking cloud and is busy retching and moaning.

Baba gets his spell off, and suddenly flaming centipedes are everywhere. One of them bites Mephit 7, who flees in blind terror and dives into the mud.

The Stinking Cloud lingers, so it's time to make another fortitude save!

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Save 19
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=884296

With a manic grin, M'rek finishes his target and turns to the side to stick his spike and dagger into the back of the one fighting Linji...his large eyes are wattering, but he does not seem to be otherwise too affected by the smell (the ability to eat ANy organic matter must have something to do with that part, he guesses)

atack 1:
AC 26 (includes TWF penalty AND flank bonus only, no blindness) damage, 13,
atack 2
AC 25, damage 9, plus steal stinking cloud ability, plus usual poison
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=884288

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Fortitude (1d20+7=26)
Reflex (1d20+9=20)

Attack 1 (1d20+5=18) Damage (1d8+1=6)

Attack 2 (1d20+4=20)Damage (1d6=5) Critical (1d20+4=11) (less damage reduction 5) = 0

Kadar quits his blade twirling and slashes both blades down at the mephit in front of him.

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Loving every minute of the blending, living-yet-not-living paintings, Linji once again rolls into a ball, and bounces behind the mephit that Kadar is playing with (especially after M'rek so wonderfully "poked" the closer mephit).

Linji then forms his karach seals into a massive hammer, and with a trailing tongue, slams down upon the mephit, all the while, praising the virtues of banana peel-sacrifices.

[Attack roll: 34, confirm critical 18 -damage 16]

[Fort save: 21]

[Oh, and I almost forgot the Tumble check=31 -and, Duckluck, do you even need me to roll a Tumble in these cases -even with rolling a nat 1, Linji still gets a 17, which is good enough to pass even in bad terrain. If you want me to roll anyways, I'll continue to do so]

0 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 20.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 5.
I rolled 1d20+0, the result is 15.
Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

I play with auto-fail on ones, so please continue to roll. Besides, you never know what modifiers I might throw at you.

*Nudge* Baba?

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Ok, thanks for the clarification on your house rule -its not a problem at all}

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{House rule? I'm just doing it the way it says in the Player's Handbook.}

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

{Unlike saves and attacks, there is no automatic success or failure for skill checks, as per PHB. As I said, I don't mind the house rule -am I also correct in assuming that you are house-ruling automatic successes on skill checks as well? Either way, if its ok with you, I'd rather continue the discussion -if necessary- on the OOC thread so as not to bog up the In-game thread}

{That said, we're waiting on Baba, right?}

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Yep. Sorry, I guess I was wrong on skill checks. That's still the rule I use though (keep in mind, it doesn't work for taking twenty).

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba shakes off the noxious cloud. There's far worse things on the elemental plane of fire. Not many, but there are.

Baba realizes he doesn't have any protection whatsoever - magical or otherwise. He begins uttering the long and quite complicated words to the Bulwark of Reality spell (+6 AC).

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M'rek, Linji, Kadar, and Baba:

M'rek finishes off Mephit 2,

Linji gives Mephit 5 what's for, and Kadar finishes it off. It collapses to the ground bleeding heavily.

Mephit 6 runs out of the cloud, but is slowed by its sickness and cannot escape the waves of centipedes that invelop him. M`rek fails a completely arbitrary Will save, and will now have nightmares about being attacked by flaming centipedes for the rest of his life.

{End of Combat}

Above you, there is a loud crashing sound, and the hole M'rek tore through the ceiling expands and begins to spew Ooze at a deadly rate, when suddenly there is a loud thoomp! sound and a large, sodden dwarf in armor plugs the hole.

Zhegre:
While walking down a street at the edge of the Clerk's Ward (ironically on your way to the Festhall), the rough cobbles below you suddenly give way and you find yourself plumenting down about four feet and somehow landing face-first in a pool of brownish liquid. You fall further and furth through the liquid until you suddenly feel a large impact and find yourself, or at least the bottom half of you, in a room full of air.

When you whipe the mud off your face, you find yourself in a large stone room with a solid three feet of space below you, and who-knows-how-much mud below that. Standing in the mud are nine silt-covered lumps. Four of them look roughly humanoid, and armed, and the other five seem to be insect-like creatures of some sort -- that are on fire.

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Zhegre takes a moment to revise his recently constructed survival checklist.

. o O (Oxygen. Check.)

He sends a heartfelt prayer of thanks to Tharmekhul for the luck, then turns his attention to his present straits.

. o O (I am presently hanging upside down from and (GM, indicate correct selection: (a) stuck quite firmly in (b) slowly slipping out of)) the ceiling of a room apparently either under Sigil or, more likely, on the other side of an Ooze portal. There are several people here, one of whom appears to be in the middle of casting a spell. There are a number of monsters.)

Zhegre searches his memory. GM, indicate correct selection, based on roll below:

Knowledge (the Planes): 1d20+11=18

. o O ( (c) I've seen these on the Plane of Fire; they're nothing evil, just fiery creatures. Since they're not from around here, they're probably summoned. (d) I am not familiar with them and will reserve judgment, but they're on fire and thus highly unlikely to be native to Ooze. Therefore have probably just been summoned. There is also...)

...Zhegre takes a tiny whiff, and is mildly sorry he did so...

. o O (...the fading remnant of what I am fairly sure is a stinking cloud. Probable conclusion: there has just been a fight. Are these people fighting each other? Are they fighting the creatures? Do they intend to fight me?) Zhegre attempts to gauge the general direction and intensity of aggressions in the room:

Sense Motive: 1d20+4=23

Actions:

If he is slipping out of the ceiling, he will take a moment to try to land right side. If gravity is not making a rush of things, he'll stay where he is at the moment and consider his situation.

If he judges that anything looks to be aggressing, he'll grope for his warhammer and mentally review his spells. Assuming he doesn't, he'll come to the following course of action:

. o O (I think these people won. They don't seem immediately threatening to me, though. So being polite is, as usual, probably the best course.)

He jauntily raises a hand, spits a bit of Ooze out, and addresses the humanoids in Planar Trade.

"Privyet! Is wery handy air pocket you have here. I hope you do not mind if I share. Would be most embarassing to be desiring to attend lecture on Spirelight at Festhall and drown ignominiously in random Ooze portal."

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

You seem to be stuck fast, but there is a good deal of pressure behind you. Also, these things below you are probably from Fire, and probably not directly antagonistic.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Given this dwarf seems friendly enough Kadar moves to respond in kind.

"Hello Cutter, sounds like you got hipped heading to the same lecture as us. Seems like this pocket is the real place to be."

Kadar offers a hand to help the dwarf the rest of the way through the crust.

"My name's Kadar and lovely as our current surrounds are I'd welcome your thoughts as to how we're going to get the hells out of here."

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Zhegre takes Kadar's offered hand kindly. "Spasibo. I am Zhegre of Rodina; is pleasure to meet you. Careful, there may be splash..." He attempts to push himself out of the hole and brace himself on Kadar so he doesn't land face first.

Whatever happens, he straightens up and ineffectually brushes off some goop. "Well now. If we are not on Ooze, we are in quasiplane due to be dewoured by that plane any minute now. If this is so, then I have done bit of traveling on Inner Planes before and best thing to do is get local guide. If we can get air supply, then ooze mephit would be good choice to guide us to border with, I think, Plane of Water would be best. Then from there we get another guide and go to City of Glass. Serwice will cost, of course, but what does not." He chuckles.

"Of course, if you got here same way I did, with any luck we might still be under Sigil." Zhegre looks around, eyeing the stone. Is it natural? Worked? Is the chamber finite or are we in a tunnel? Is there gravity here? Wait... Ooze didn't have gravity, did it? He racks his brains...

11 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 16.
Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji's maniacal laughter becomes sheer child-like mirth at the site of the "dwarf-cork", though becoming subdued as he ponders the "cork" exclamation.

"Hmm, privy-ette?", he ponders, before letting the Ouroboros of Teyolia swallow his desire for facts in the face of Truth.

Slowly sloshing through the muck, Linji raises his decapitated index finger, exclaiming:

"The little-girls' bathroom is there-not-there."

And then offering his elbow to shake, Linji wipes off a smear of mephit-ooze, smiling wide:

"The Unset of I is Linji-once-Rinzai"

JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

As the cloud fades the group finds M`Rek quietly strangling an innert mephit by the neck. He finally notices the new arrival and waves an ooze stained hand:

A good afternoon to you! It is amazing the number of people who wanted to attend the spirelight lecture on the festhall but instead found themselves in this dump plane, wouldn`t you think?

I am M'rek, and am afraid this mephit here cant guide us very far...what about that other one lying over there? (he points at another one, hopefuly one that has surendered being blind and/or nauseated - eg were there any surving mephits)

Oberoni_Fallacy's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-01
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Baba snaps his fingers, dismissing the centipedes to the flaming pits from which they spawned - that is, about three miles from his birthplace.

"Smith. Baba Smith.", he says, wiping his hand on one of his many coats and sticking it out to the dwarf - before pulling it back, as it's still sodden. "That's my name. Damned city's going to the fiends and no mistake - portal in the festhall and no one warned us?"

"You're right, in any case. Got to find a way out. Hold on a second while I try and figure out where we are."

Baba sits down heavily and tries to figure out what plane they're in (K - Planes +15).

15 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+15, the result is 28.
Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar pops out his planar atlas (which if no one objects will be entitled "Planewalking for Berks" from the popular "for Berks" range of manuals) and has a quick flick through, looking for any pertinent information

Knowledge (The planes)

8 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+8, the result is 27.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Is pleasure, Linji, M'rek, Baba." Zhegre gives up trying to get clean yet. It may be a while.

"I think is somewhat obvious from mephits and... festive aroma... that we are on Ooze. Grawity appears to be directional in here, which is odd but not unheard-of, and I do not think I felt any outside. Like most people on Ooze, I suppose our main priority is getting out..."

Zhegre walks around the chamber, thinking, tossing off ideas, tapping the walls with his hammer, checking out the ceiling and floor surface, and the like. (If there's a live mephit around, that's very good news and quite different, of course.)

"It will take me day or so, but I can work up spells to summon small elemental. I think ooze mephit qualifies. If we can come to business arrangement, little fellow should be able to lead us to border with Water, then water elemental from there to City of Glass. This is, of course, assuming we have enough air to sustain us here while we wait, and then some way of making air on trip. I admit lack of resources on that front."

He ponders whether the stone of the walls might be shaped into some sort of air-bubble-containing vessel, but the notion of floating through the current in such a thing doesn't seem astoundingly appealing.

"If somebody has bag of holding or handy hawersack we could stuff it into mine and see what happens. I have newwer tried from Inner Planes, to be honest. And they are rather waluable pieces of equipment, if it works."

Tap, tap... tap, tap... wonder how long the air in here will hold out, anway...

"Of course, if anybody has way of getting message off to someone who could help us, that would be excellent."

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji squats down into the muck, and begins to make "mud-men", occasionally staring at his work, singing to them (The main theme revolving around "Bwimb thinks Linji is hot"), sniffing them, etc.

(OOC: Linji is playing, but he is also trying to use his Control abilities: such as attempting to transmute them into another form or matter, or draw off sustenance, or stabilize their structure, etc. Spending a minute of so while the others read/search, and so will make a couple of rolls if that's ok).

9 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 19.
I rolled 1d20+9, the result is 11.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

While the newcomer talks, M`rek eyes suspiciously the (probably) widening hole above his head...and says

Well, first of all this was not random accident, theses peanuts here are probably thge key to this portal and I was quite litterally thrown in here by a soon to be deceased berk with a death-wish. Mayhaps the portal is still open? It might even be a two-way one...

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Ah, so you lot did not get here by accident? Interesting. If there is portal, then maybe we can figure out how to open it from this side. Is it far away? I have rope, so we can anchor safety line here while someone tries to swim back there. With keys for both directions, they can come back and bring us the good news."

He looks up, and realizes something about 'up.' "Also, since there is grawity here, maybe there is surface to ooze and we are close to edge of plane. We could try getting outside and swimming straight up."

He looks around at the bunch. "Well, plenty of good ideas. Let us pick one and get started, hm?"

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"I have a bag of holding but I'd rather not risk that method unless we have to." replies Kadar, looking up from his book.

"Summoning a guide would be my first choice if the air holds out, I imagine a water elemental or some such would do the trick from here. Otherwise I'd say the current has probably taken us away from our entry portal and the nuts might not open it on this side anyway so we might as well just swim 'up', preferably following any bubbles which escape from our little shell here."

On that thought Kadar takes a closer look (search) around to search for anything interesting, after all air-pockets on ooze are rarely un-inhabited for long and a former inhabitant might have left something interesting.

2 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+2, the result is 12.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

You are on Ooze, of that you can be certain. After walking around a bit, it becomes clear that the gravity isn't totally constant, as it seems to vary slightly depending on where you stand. If you stand at the edges of the room, you feel a slight force pulling you back toward the center of the room, in addition to the one pulling you down.

Upon close examination, the room you are in is clearly the remains of a building of some sort. Smooth, worked stone is visible once you scrape the muck off the walls, and the wide vaulting of the room makes it look almost like a temple, or mansion. It is dificult to tell through all the oze, but the ground you are standing on seems to be uneven and sloped, as if the floor is set at a 120 degree angle with the wall, causing it to slope down until it reaches the halway point, and then slope back up to meet the other wall. Looking up you can see that the ceiling is flat and made of what looks like marble. Broken plinths or pillars seem to hang from the from the roof making the bare crooked surface you are standing on even weirder. Also, there seems to be a doorway up there -- on the ceiling -- just hanging there in the wall, upside down.

Before you can puzzle out the meaning of this though, the last surviving Mephit, having just regained his sight and decided this was too much for him emerges from the mud for a moment, and then leaps back in with starling speed. He then literally swims up the ooze caked on the wall and up through the hole M`rek made and Zhegre enlarged. Moments after he disapears, there is a loud slurping sound and a bubble of air follows him out, and then the ooze starts falling. Not in the slow drip it was before buy in a roaring torrent of silt. The room looks like it will be entirely filled with ooze in about a minute, that is, if the roof doesn't collapse first.

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji watches the mephit's escape and the consequent torrent with only peripheral interest, but then snaps into action. With a quick flip, Linji points to the door on the "cieling" (as the temporal subjectivity only remind him of "home").

"Bwimb's tears will down us all! Be bceoming to the House's Gate!"

Linji then attempts to run up the walls (believing in subjective gravity and all) -tumbling really like a ball over mud, rather than running through the muck.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Hold on Linji" Kadar calls out as he puts away his atlas and pulls out a length of rope.
"This should stop keep us together as we move out there" he explains and wraps one end around his waist. "Zhegre should probably go next in case we need to put my bag into his. Anyone disagree about following the bubbles?"

__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Zhegre comes to the realization, and nearly smacks himself. . o O (My architect uncle would have laughed me out of the room by now. That's not a roof, it's a floor! The room's upside down!)

"Da, d- I mean, right," he says to Kadar. "Looks like ewents are making our decision for us." He measures off a few yards of rope from Kadar and ties a loop around his right wrist. "I think Linji is on to something, though -- that door might lead to safer room. We seem to be standing on roof of rather nice room, upside down."

Thus tied off, he looks over at Linji's efforts -- hopefully, checking out whether there's safety on the other side of that door. If it's stuck or has nothing but ooze on the other side, he figures, there's unlikely to be any harm in trying. Heck, it might be a portal.

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Linji makes it up about ten feet before it becomes clear that while the gravity may not be naturel for Ooze, it is very much real, and he falls back into the muck (next time make a climb check, or just wait for the mud to rise). Meanwhile, the silt continues to pour. It's up to Baba and M`rek's shoulders, and rising quickly. If the don't start swimming, they'll be buried in seconds, and the rest of you not long after.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Kadar allows himself to be bouyed up by the ooze (but tries hard to make sure his head doesn't dip under) while he waits for the others to lash themselves onto the rope.

(swim check if necessary)

1 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+1, the result is 11.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Jem
Jem's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-05-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

"Is good idea!" Zhegre shouts to Linji. "Keep trying to get up there and open it!"

Zhegre isn't very good at climbing or swimming, so if the remaining folks look to be in no danger of drowning at the moment he wades over to the wall underneath the door (assuming Kadar has no objections, being tied to him and all) and grips the wall, trying to float-climb his way up as the ooze level rises. If necessary, he'll cheerfully help Linji out as a footstool.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(no problem at all, in fact Kadar'll join you in the climbing attempt if we're moving that way)

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 14.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Dialexis's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-07-21
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

Spitting out a mish-mash of gravy-like goo, sprinkled with an apple core and old leather strips, Linji recovers from his graceless exhibition in gravitational efficacy.

He then moves over to a spot relatively under the "door" and then begins to attempt to "float" on top of the spewing muck, lying very still upon his back, balancing upon the dense ooze, allowing it to carry him up.

(OOC: Balance check -should be easier in that it is a "liquid" denser than sand or water)

12 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+12, the result is 25.
JaggedOldRed's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2006-10-16
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M`rek

M`rek holds on to Kadar`s hand reduces himself to the size of a small cat...he then says:

Well now, why just you throw me towards the portal, once there I´ll tie my rope in it and it will grow back to its normal thickness!!
(casts reduce person)

Duckluck's picture
Offline
Factor
Joined: 2006-10-10
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

M`rek, make a Concentration check. Casting is hard to do when you are up to your neck in what is effectively quicksand.

Azriael's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2006-08-07
Game: In the Spire's Shadow

(assuming I can throw M'rek I've treated him as a normal sized, improvised weapon)

6 Bonus for to do
I rolled 1d20+6, the result is 24.
__________________

"We're making a better world. All of them, better worlds." - Anonomous Harmonium Officer

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.