This is a snapshot copy of Planewalker before our recent database crash. Please go to www.planewalker.com for the current site.

War of the Facets -- Phase III: Infiltration

Announcement!

We have moved to new, and hopefully better hardware! Along with this move came a bunch of updates to our code base. Please let me know if you spot something wonky.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Center of All's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
War of the Facets -- Phase III: Infiltration

The City of Glass, The Dancing Mermaid  1:33 A.P. (after-Peak), Day 5 of the War of the Facets

You all returned to the City of Glass promptly after bidding Ghadir farewell.  The water genasi seemed glad to be rid of you, though it wasn't personal.  He was just eager to get away and hide.  Your own trip to the portal was uneventful. 

Returning to the City of Glass was a bit of a shock.  Aremshah's weather was cool and much drier.  Stepping from the plane of Air to the plane of Water gave everyone but Okeanos a brief, vague sensation of drowning as your lungs adapted to the sudden increase in humidity.  Fortunately, though, you had the information you needed, and Thalivan would be waiting.  But it was late and Thalivan was probably resting, so you adjourned to your inn for the night.

The next day, you sought Thalivan out at the Dancing Mermaid, but he was out and had left a message that he wouldn't be available until sometime after peak.  It was while you were banging around town waiting for him that you noticed something peculiar that hadn't been in the city when you left.

Dao.

Ordinarily, the sight of a dao wouldn't be much to make note of, but there were a lot of dao in the city today -- or at least, more than any of you had seen in one place outside of Earth before.  Most of them wore tabards emblazoned with the same sigil (DC 20 Streetwise check to identify).  The genies ignored or shot down any attempts to talk to them, and went about their business as normal.  It was odd, though.  The City of Glass normally had a small dao presence simply for the sake of trade.  But Water as a general rule didn't have the gems, metals, and minerals that most dao greedily sought.

In any case, about an hour and a half after peak, you returned to the Dancing Mermaid to meet with Thalivan.  Once a page announced your arrival, the arcane had you come up to his suite for lunch.  As usual with Thalivan, the food was delicious and plentiful.  If nothing else, the arcane treated his employees well.

"So," he began as you entered and sat down.  His fingers unrolled in greeting before he picked up his utensils and began eating.  "Did you meet with Ghadir?  What did you learn?"

__________________

http://kaitou-kage.deviantart.com/ -- My deviantART gallery

http://www.planescapemetamorphosis.com/ -- Planescape: Metamorphosis, a Planescape webcomic in the works

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
Seigi takes the shift to

Seigi takes the shift to the Plane of Water rather badly; his arthritis plays up due to the increase in damp, and fairly soon he's hobbling like a man even older than his years, leaning heavily on his cane. He does eye the Dao in a puzzled manner, but .... 'Odd symbol. Don't think I've seen it before, but ... Hmm - oh? Aaargh! My joints! When this arrangement has run its course, I am finding a nice desert world to vacation on for a month!'

What interests the old man most about Thalivan's hospitality is not the food, though he does enjoy it. The opportunity to sit down is. "Well, we learned someone had dispatched an assassin to silence your old friend Ghadir," he replies with a drawl. "One 'Sharish'. Mayhap you've heard of him? Ghadir himself informed us there are underground portals to Salt located in the City of Glass. They are supposed to have been shut down centuries ago, but he kindly gave us a map to their location.

I might surmise someone has reactivated them, and now wants to keep that fact, as well as the why and the how of it, hidden. If that is correct, I shouldn't wonder that several other knowledgeable individuals have recently been .... terminally inconvenienced. Have you heard anything along those lines?"

 (OOC: Streetwise check: 15.)

Atriden's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-06
The water genasi watches

The water genasi watches Seigi with somewhat amusement as he offers his support to the old man. " I keep forgetting that this place must not be that grand for all of you " and he sends a worried glance  to Coal, checking how he is handling the moisture. " but none the less, I love this city ". 

He walks with the others towards their inn while closely watching the Dao's. He feels like his brain is trying to tell him something about them and is suddenly filled with hatred towards them without knowing why. 

At Thalivans place Okeanos does not seem at ease but listens to Seigi as he tells him what the group had discoved.

When Seigi is done with the story he comments " We don't know who sent sharish to end Ghadirs life. I don't know much about facets, but I thought they hated all life. Why would they hire Sharish is whats pusseling me, it seems out of place " Okeanos ends his speculations and continues to talk about the matter at hand " We should not delay our search for the portals and we should move out as soon as we are finnished here. I cannot rest while I know these facets are around". Then Okeanos speaks with some signs of distress in his voice to Thalivan " Do you know why so many Dao's are in our fair city ? "

+3 Bonus for Streetwise to do identify the Dao symbol
I rolled 1d20++3, the result is .
3 Bonus for Streetwise to do identify the Dao symbol
I rolled 1d20+3, the result is 18.
Atriden's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-06
ooc: I dont know why it

ooc: I dont know why it posted twice, sorry about that.

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
"Pardon me for sounding

"Pardon me for sounding paranoid, my friend," Seigi says with a feeble smile, "but it is entirely possible that the one who opened the portals and paid for the assassin's services is not, himself or herself or even itself, a facet. Rather, this might be someone who expects to benefit from wholesale chaos in this city for some reason ... Or perhaps plans to be hailed as a great hero, by becoming the one who miraculously saved the City of Glass from destruction by cutting off a seemingly endless invasion of Salt into Water."

Atriden's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-06
" No need to apologize to me

" No need to apologize to me Seigi. What ever it is, I am afraid that time will only tell of what is really going on. I feel like I have been dancing with a slaad these last couple of days " and the water genasi makes a sigh

Bob the Efreet's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
"Perhaps it is the dao,"

"Perhaps it is the dao," Tamara muses after a long silence. "Salt is a form of mineral or stone, isn't it? The dao are earthen genies. Perhaps they have come to hate Water due to some great slight against their people."

11 Bonus for Streetwise to do identify the dao symbol
I rolled 1d20+11, the result is 18.
__________________

Pants of the North!

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
"And perhaps they just want

"And perhaps they just want to drive everyone out of the City of Glass and drain its riches at their leisure," Seigi says with a shrug. "They're greedy ones, the Dao are."

Atriden's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-06
" We don't know what in the

" We don't know what in the nine hells is going on, so it's all speculations and no proof. I wish we had more clues on what is actually going on " Okeanos comments. " Anyway, we should really be going on about our business " and he looks more and more impatient for each second that goes by.

Center of All's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
Quote:"Pardon me for

Quote:
"Pardon me for sounding paranoid, my friend," Seigi says with a feeble smile, "but it is entirely possible that the one who opened the portals and paid for the assassin's services is not, himself or herself or even itself, a facet."

The arcane's long fingers unfolded and he steepled his hands.  The entire motion resembled a pair of eerie, blue spiders touching their legs together.   He thought quietly and then nodded and spoke.  "Seigi is correct," Thalivan said, "So far as anyone knows, facets are single-minded.  They do not care about assassins or gatecrashers.  They simply focus on their crusade against all water.  As for who hired Sharish, it could be they want Ghadir out of the way, but it could also be coincidence.  I will keep my ears open for any word of other gatecrashers being targeted."

Your employer paused, picked up a wineglass and drained it, then set it back down.  He remained quiet as you debated possibilities.  Once the conversation died down, he spoke up once more.

"The dao being here gives me reason for concern as well," he said, "You do not see so many dao moving with such purpose outside of Earth.  I gathered enough inofrmation since they arrived to know that they are here at the behest of a lord from the Great Dismal Delve.  Their motives, however, are still unknown to me.  Whatever they are here for, they seem less receptive to trade than the usual delegation."

He tapped his fingers together thoughtfully.  The image again conjured an image of spiders, this time tapping their feet against each other.

"What say you to a trip to the Great Dismal Delve?" he asked, "I cannot leave this city while my trade negotiations are ongoing.  I can, however, send you to find where these dao are coming from and why they are here.  Meanwhile, you have the information Ghadir provided?  I will spend some of my time here investigating the portals.  Once you return, we will again compare knowledge and decide what to do next."

__________________

http://kaitou-kage.deviantart.com/ -- My deviantART gallery

http://www.planescapemetamorphosis.com/ -- Planescape: Metamorphosis, a Planescape webcomic in the works

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
Seigi sits bolt upright --

Seigi sits bolt upright -- and visibly winces, as the most appalling creaking noise comes from his lower back. Rubbing himself and grimacing, the old man speaks with remarkable aplomb: "My good sir Thalivan, if you are sending us to the Great Dismal Delve, I do hope you will endeavor to provide us with the proper diplomatic documents that will exempt us from the damnable dao's tendency to turn strangers into slaves? I'd prefer to spend my twilight years in a nice house in the countryside, with a few amoral young ladies to serve as maids while I write my memoirs, rather than stuck down a mineshaft with a dao's chain about my neck and his slave-brand on my buttocks."

Bob the Efreet's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
"It seems unlikely that you

"It seems unlikely that you would be forced to mine," Tamara says in response to Seigi's concerns. "I'm sure they could find a use that would not be quite so outside your capabilities." After what is likely a bit of uncomfortable silence, she continues. "Although he raises a good point. If we can move about freely, it will simplify investigations."

__________________

Pants of the North!

Center of All's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
"I will provide what

"I will provide what paperwork I can," Thalivan agreed, pausing to take a delicate sip of his tea.  "However, if the dao are up to no good here, you may need to, ah, resort to other means to find out what.  Moreover, the dao do not always respect such papers.  As an arcane, my word will lend some weight, but I cannot fully guarantee your absolute safety."

The arcane paused and took another drink, looking thoughtful.  "However, should something ill happen to you, such as an iron collar being slapped around your neck, you have my word I will your assistance and buy you from the dao.  It would not do for my reputation to have my employees meet unfortunate fates while I am paying them."

He set his teacup down.  "If the dao are here strictly for trade, then we worry about nothing.  But when they arrive en masse like they have, it does not hurt to be too careful."

__________________

http://kaitou-kage.deviantart.com/ -- My deviantART gallery

http://www.planescapemetamorphosis.com/ -- Planescape: Metamorphosis, a Planescape webcomic in the works

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
"I somehow doubt that dao

"I somehow doubt that dao would be very sensitive to the prospect of bribery," Seigi muses. "I do not suppose there has been word of any of them over-enjoying the local breweries' produce ....? No, never mind, never mind. I deeply appreciate your assurances in this matter, sir Thalivan. Well, then. As soon as you can procure those documents, I suppose we're off to the Great Dismal Delve."

Center of All's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
Okay, paper is 90% done,

Okay, paper is 90% done, just needs some polish.  Semester is over!  Time to get things rolling a touch faster now!

"Excellent," Thalivan said, "And if you don't mind, there is someone I'd like you to take with you." The arcane gestured to one of the side rooms and a aasimar walked out.  The man was short, but strongly-built, and had a quiet, almost grim countenance.  His head was shaved bald, but he had intricate green markings painted on the left side of his face, shoulder, and chest.  His skin was pale brown, suggesting some sort of monadic deva heritage, and his eyes were a light, almost pearly blue.

"I am Astiel Devason," the man bowed his head, "An agent of the Primordial Order." Religion DC 20 to recognize

"Astiel's order heard word that I'd been looking into the facets' appearance here and sent him to help investigate," Thalivan explained, "I think he will be quite useful on your journey."

 

__________________

http://kaitou-kage.deviantart.com/ -- My deviantART gallery

http://www.planescapemetamorphosis.com/ -- Planescape: Metamorphosis, a Planescape webcomic in the works

Bob the Efreet's picture
Offline
factotums
Joined: 2004-05-11
Tamara nods. "Good to have

Tamara nods. "Good to have you. We go troubled places, though - be prepared for danger."

__________________

Pants of the North!

Rock's picture
Offline
Namer
Joined: 2009-01-14
"Good day to you, sir,"

"Good day to you, sir," Seigi says, starting to shift in his chair. He makes a face, and settles back down. "Do forgive me for not getting up and shaking your hand," he continues, smiling the pained little smile of those raised to show proper manners in unpleasant pain.

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.